Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ovulation kits - useful or not?

Options
  • 02-08-2017 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi just a question for all the pregnant ladies who used ovulation kits - would you recommend them for helping with ttc? Myself and my husband are starting to try and part of me is thinking to just go with the flow for the first while anyway but wondering if we would better our chances by using an ovulation kit so we know we are trying at the right time. Any advice appreciated. Thanks. Hope its ok to post in this forum just thought I might get the feedback I'm looking for here as opposed to ttc forum.
    Thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Defintely helped me. I had no idea when I ovulated until ttc and trying them. Was v surprised to learn that I was a late ovulator (day 18 average) with a 11 day lutual phase. Would never have known that otherwise but it was done in combination with taking temperature which is great to pin point the exact day. So no day 14 for me! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I think they are really useful as an indicator of when you ovulate. They taught me that I ovulate later than usual, and a friend of mine ovulates earlier. We are both currently pregnant!
    I bought the cheapo ones off Ebay. It is about €1 for 5- 10. When I was due to ovulate (and remembered to!), I would do two: one in the afternoon as recommended and one in the evening. I would often do one the morning after the darkest line appeared to make sure the LH surge was over so it was a good indicator of impending ovulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Jezzabelle

I think they are really useful as an indicator of when you ovulate. They taught me that I ovulate later than usual, and a friend of mine ovulates earlier. We are both currently pregnant!
    I bought the cheapo ones off Ebay. It is about €1 for 5- 10. When I was due to ovulate (and remembered to!), I would do two: one in the afternoon as recommended and one in the evening. I would often do one the morning after the darkest line appeared to make sure the LH surge was over so it was a good indicator of impending ovulation.

Thanks for the replies girls. And congrats on the pregnancies! Do you have a link to the sticks you bought? I was gonna buy the first response ones but they are fairly pricey so might just try the cheap ones to start off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

http://m.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_nkw=ovulation+tests&isNewKw=1&_sacat=87167&cnm=Maternity+%26amp%3B+Pregnancy&isRefine=true&mfs=KWCLK&acimp=0&sqp=ovulatio&_sop=15

These are similar to the ones I used. I actually used the same pregnancy tests. I never had any issues and they worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

If you are only starting to try would you not just wait before buying ovulation sticks? I used them on my current pregnancy but never got the hang of the particular ones i bought and still couldn't tell you when i ovulate!
    I found them very intrusive. Thats just my opinion though.
    For the first few months we just played it by ear, next few months we did the deed every other day after the last day of period and bingo ....baby no.2 en route.
    Best of luck anyway

• Advertisement

heldel00 wrote: »
    If you are only starting to try would you not just wait before buying ovulation sticks? I used them on my current pregnancy but never got the hang of the particular ones i bought and still couldn't tell you when i ovulate!
    I found them very intrusive. Thats just my opinion though.
    For the first few months we just played it by ear, next few months we did the deed every other day after the last day of period and bingo ....baby no.2 en route.
    Best of luck anyway

Yes I see what you're saying and part of me was thinking that too - just take it easy and see what happens but also thinking its no harm having a bit of guidance and just curious as to whether the kits work or not. Thanks for your reply and congrats on the pregnancy!

http://m.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_nkw=ovulation+tests&isNewKw=1&_sacat=87167&cnm=Maternity+%26amp%3B+Pregnancy&isRefine=true&mfs=KWCLK&acimp=0&sqp=ovulatio&_sop=15

These are similar to the ones I used. I actually used the same pregnancy tests. I never had any issues and they worked fine.

Thanks for that I'll check them out

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Dealz do a pack of 3 ovulation tests for €1.50, same with a pregnancy test kit. They're basic as hell but they tell you what you need to know without having to spend a small fortune :)
    They're definitely handy to find out when you're ovulating, especially if you've never tracked it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dove2011

Yes I found them great, I got pregnant on cycle 3 from starting TTC.. I would use them again as I didn't know when I ovulated...

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭cornflake1

I found they totally stressed me out. Used the digital clear blue ones for 5 cycles and that empty circle would make my heart sink. Didn't get a smiley face every cycle. In fact didn't get one the same month that blood tests indicated that I had ovulated. I gave them up on cycle six, the month I got pregnant. Saying all that though, trying for a baby again and just used them this month and got my smiley. Won't rely on them this time though and will just use up what is left in the pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Anne2014

Yes definitely, We found them great. We were ttc 5 months on #1 then I discovered the kits and I got pregnant the first month using them, second time round we were just letting it happen naturally but after 4 months we decided to use them and got pregnant second month using them (but sadly miscarried). Started using them straight after miscarriage and conceived almost straightaway. My cycle is all over the place from 39 days (first pregnancy) to 28 days (this pregnancy). I wouldn't have had a clue if we didn't use the kits. I used clear blue each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭starface

Jezzabelle wrote: »
    Hi just a question for all the pregnant ladies who used ovulation kits - would you recommend them for helping with ttc? Myself and my husband are starting to try and part of me is thinking to just go with the flow for the first while anyway but wondering if we would better our chances by using an ovulation kit so we know we are trying at the right time. Any advice appreciated. Thanks. Hope its ok to post in this forum just thought I might get the feedback I'm looking for here as opposed to ttc forum.
    Thanks again

I got some cheap ones in the US as I knew my husband and I were gonna start trying. I gave them a go on the first month of trying just to see and we very very very fortunate to get pregnant straight away.

I think they are useful for not buring yourself out. We were able to see when I was ovulating and do the deed then rather than excessive sexy time for days and days but that's just my opinion. I never had any natural signs that I was ovulation and I'd also just came off the pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Blndbby

I used the clearblue ones and found them brilliant. I tested everyday when I got them and when It told me I was ovulating I got pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭littlemisshobo

I think it's great to have an idea of when you ovulate. Using them I found I ovulate much later than I thought and I had a short luteal phase. So ovulation was 7-10 days before period instead of 14 days.

I wish I'd used them sooner instead of eh hitting the wrong dates each month.

Edit--- just to add I used Clear Blue Digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Hi Jezebelle, I have a ****load of them that I never used - just couldn;t be bothered really. But if you give me your address I'll happily send them onto you and you can give them a try? Just PM me if interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Blueberry22

I found them great. I was totally irregular and not only would we have being going all it all the time (which hubby wouldn't mind!) But also didn't know if I was "late"or not so at least by knowing when I ovulated at least I knew 14ish days later I was either pregnant or wasn't. We just used them as a guide - more so my own sanity than anything...my used on both pregnancies and def helped. I also just used the cheap ones off eBay.... because my cycle was sometime.may 40 days I could use quite a few each month - just with bearing in mind if buyino online - you may not just need 4 or 5 a month it could be a little more..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Definatly, great help! You can buy loads on Amazon for about €5. I think I used to get 20 ovulation tests and 10 pregnancy tests in the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 AM258

Hi all, not ttc at the mo but I've been using Natural Cycles for tracking. I have been using the One Step LH test strips from Amazon and kept getting negative results - 3 months not one positive. Was starting to think there was something wrong with me.

Anyway, today I was emptying bathroom bin and one fell out and it was positive so I googled instructions (they never sent full instructions with them so I just went with the basic instructions on the sachets). Turns out I wasn't waiting long enough to see a result - I thought the result should appear as soon as the test line appears, it actually takes about 10 mins!!

I feel pretty silly now after about 30 wasted tests over the past 3 months but at least I know for next month 😂😂

Just thought I'd share in here just in case anyone has been making the same mistake.

Advertisement