Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much money per hour do you usually make in a part-time job?

Options
  • 02-08-2017 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,
    I'm about to enter my Leaving Cert year and when I'm finished I intend to work part-time to help put me through college. I would also like to move out and live by myself if possible.

I wanted to know how much money I would be expecting to earn per-hour in a part-time job. I know that the minimum wage is around €9-€10, but surely they wouldn't give you the bare minimum. I've never had a part-time job, so I wouldn't know. I'd assume that they would pay around €15, but that's just a guess.
    Anyway, if anyone can give me a general idea from experience I'd be very grateful, because I can't seem to find an answer anywhere else.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Why do you think you'll get more than minimum wage? Also, minimum wage is based on you having some experience, or it was last time I looked into the subject, without some experience the employer can pay you a little bit less.

What kind of job were you going to look for? retail will most probably pay as little as possible.

Getting a job right after 6th year finishes will be hard also, all the part-time works who are currently employed will be looking for extra hours over the summer so less chance of new roles being opened up.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭EmzBoBo

Speaking as someone who worked in retail for the 5 years they were in College, you will almost definitely be on the minimum wage. Even when I worked Sunday's (time and a half), I never made anywhere near €15 p/h. You will absolutely not be able to afford to move out and live on your own on a part-time minimum wage job, sorry to burst that bubble!

The rates as of 1/1/17 are:
    Experienced adult worker €9.25 per hour
    Over 19 and less than 2 years since first job €8.33 per hour.
    Over 18 and less than 1 years since began first job €7.40 per hour.
    Aged under 18 €6.48 per hour

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭huggy15

You are delusional if you think you will get €15 an hour for a part time job.. minimum wage or slightly above if you are lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

€10 is considered unreal. Most people get 9 something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

SeawKiller wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm about to enter my Leaving Cert year and when I'm finished I intend to work part-time to help put me through college. I would also like to move out and live by myself if possible.

I wanted to know how much money I would be expecting to earn per-hour in a part-time job. I know that the minimum wage is around €9-€10, but surely they wouldn't give you the bare minimum. I've never had a part-time job, so I wouldn't know. I'd assume that they would pay around €15, but that's just a guess.
    Anyway, if anyone can give me a general idea from experience I'd be very grateful, because I can't seem to find an answer anywhere else.

Thanks.
    You will get the bare minimum, and that's if you are lucky enough to get a job. If you got a job in a resturant you could get the bare minimum + tips.
    I have a first class honours degree in engineering. I have worked as an engineer full time for the last 4 years. Breaking down my salary; I earn €13.75 per hour (after tax). Engineering is one of the top paying jobs in ireland.

This thread is a bit of any eye opener eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SeawKiller

Thanks for all the replies.

I looked on the Citizen Information website yesterday and read up on the minimum wage. I suppose I should've done that before coming here.
    I'll have to consider staying home and commuting then, or getting accommodation at the college. Nevertheless, I'm thankful for all the help.

Advertisement