Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pump, I think its a bit crap

Options
  • 02-08-2017 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

You get what you pay for as the saying goes, but bear with me. I got a starter kit for my daughter. I used to keep fish when I was a teenager, but time has moved on.

So, I have a pump, QD1900F (Pic here)
    http://i0.wp.com/www.fishtankmaintenance.net/wp-content/uploads/image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00PvUEMIRHJWqS/Aquarium-Filter-Pump-QD-1900F-.jpg?zoom=2&w=640

The sponge is in the bottom half and the pump is at the top. I would have assumed it would drag the water through the sponge and pump it out, but water only comes out the top when the pump is nearly submerged. Is that working as designed?
    Also, Can I submerge this pump? I guess though if I do that, it will only create a current, rather than mixing air into the water.
    Advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Its an internal filter. Will clean the water but won't add oxygen. Put it below the water level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Those pumps don't work in the same way a normal pump works.

Inside there is a little rotor that spins and that is what makes the water move. If it's out of the water, nothing happens.....
    Its propulsion based, not suction.

Also, water movement in the tank is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Thanks folks for the replies. I've the pump in, submerged. Seems to be doing its job.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

As long as it's creating disturbance in the form of ripples on the surface then there will be oxygen getting into the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Thanks folks for the replies. I've the pump in, submerged. Seems to be doing its job.

Over time that little rotor can get clogged up with gunk, etc, which reduces its speed and therefore the effectiveness of the filter.

Every now and then (once a month) take the little rotor out and give it a quick scrub.

• Advertisement
Advertisement