Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scammed help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

lukesmom wrote: »
    Yes I've been using adverts a long time. I have over 200 positive feedback, no neutral or negative not one. I have never ever been scammed. Not once in 8 years on adverts until yesterday. I think the mods are quite helpful but their hands are tied in this instance.

Never let the gaurd down, ever. Always be weary with anyone you don't know. You don't know these people or they don't know you, they owe you nothing, will abuse this and will do you over in seconds. This is the 1%. Sadly these 1% folks can cost you alot, be it a scam job like this, dodge equipment, stolen cars/bikes that get recovered, bricked phones, literally bricks sold as phones or laptops and so on.

The longer your buying and selling, you slowly let the gaurd go down, do not ever do it. Always up, always checking and double checking, if it feels odd then ditch it.

My golden rule is 'money transfers like this', big no no. To many variables to go wrong, money received, not received, items sent, not sent so on so fort. Then the stonewall. That's when you know you've met the 1% of dodge online sellers.

I do hope you get the PS4, just an FYI Argos usually do great deals on them, so keep an eye on there or on the BA forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Hi I have 180 euro donated. Thanks so much for keeping track and for the suggestion to donate any extra to charity that's a super idea :)
    I didn't keep track at all. The first offer was for €150 and there's been multiple offers since so it doesn't take a genius to think it'd go over the amount your son lost.
    It would be nice to help a child who has nothing too rather than profiting wouldn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

TallGlass wrote:
    Never let the gaurd down, ever. Always be weary with anyone you don't know. You don't know these people or they don't know you, they owe you nothing, will abuse this and will do you over in seconds. This is the 1%. Sadly these 1% folks can cost you alot, be it a scam job like this, dodge equipment, stolen cars/bikes that get recovered, bricked phones, literally bricks sold as phones or laptops and so on.

TallGlass wrote:
    The longer your buying and selling, you slowly let the gaurd go down, do not ever do it. Always up, always checking and double checking, if it feels odd then ditch it. My golden rule is 'money transfers like this', big no no. To many variables to go wrong, money received, not received, items sent, not sent so on so fort. Then the stonewall. That's when you know you've met the 1% of dodge online sellers.

TallGlass wrote:

TallGlass wrote:
    The longer your buying and selling, you slowly let the gaurd go down, do not ever do it. Always up, always checking and double checking, if it feels odd then ditch it. My golden rule is 'money transfers like this', big no no. To many variables to go wrong, money received, not received, items sent, not sent so on so fort. Then the stonewall. That's when you know you've met the 1% of dodge online sellers.

TallGlass wrote:
    I do hope you get the PS4, just an FYI Argos usually do great deals on them, so keep an eye on there or on the BA forum.

TallGlass wrote:

TallGlass wrote:

TallGlass wrote:

Thanks that's some good advice. I thought I was pretty sharp to this kind of thing. But I was caught off guard. Especially with the using the family and friends option through paypal. That's the part that sickens me the most because things would be so different if I had said 'no I'm going to use the other option paying for goods and services'. He would most likely have said he wasn't interested in selling it anymore because there would be nothing in it for him.

I didn't keep track at all. The first offer was for €150 and there's been multiple offers since so it doesn't take a genius to think it'd go over the amount your son lost. It would be nice to help a child who has nothing too rather than profiting wouldn't it?

Not sure why you had to be smart about it.

I'm not being smart I think it's a great idea.

Hi it's after 4am and I'm sitting here wondering what an earth am I going to say to the gardai in the morning. And what will they do? I've been looking at ps4s on adverts and there are a handful of adverts with new users no feedback. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same guy. All for places down the country like laois and donegal. Hoping nobody else gets conned but it's hard to know how many he got besides myself. Fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Tell the Gardai what happened, get a Pulse number. The Adverts team can cooperate with the Gardai, and may be able to provide the IP address of the individual to the Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

People donating money, a solicitor offering help...great to see.

You never see a garda on these type of threads saying 'pm me, I'll call you in the morning and we'll hunt this b*rd down'... Anyway, fair play to the people donating, I hope the gardai do something for ya op, if not just move on and put it behind you, they've probably got bigger fish to fry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - I hate to do this, but I do think that a general warning about handing over money to strangers via the internet is needed. Boards cannot take any responsibility in such situations. Please take this warning in the spirit in which it is intended

dudara

@lukesmom - good luck with your efforts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Tails142 wrote: »
    You never see a garda on these type of threads saying 'pm me, I'll call you in the morning and we'll hunt this b*rd down'...

Bird?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A PS4 Pro with 5 games for €200 literally is a massive neon sign screaming 'SCAM! SCAM! SCAM!"

And then for him to ask for family and friends payment on top of that?!

I'm not having a go at you lukesmom and obviously it's a nasty thing to do, but at the same time there were literally two massive red flags being waved immediately!

He probably never even had a PS4 Pro at all and set up the account to scam.

I would still go to the Gardai. If he's SMS and Address verified they can get that information from the Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,391 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hi it's after 4am and I'm sitting here wondering what an earth am I going to say to the gardai in the morning. And what will they do? I've been looking at ps4s on adverts and there are a handful of adverts with new users no feedback. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same guy. All for places down the country like laois and donegal.

It would be easy enough to set up new email/adverts accounts, and go through the process with him to see what paypal email address he is using on these sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

It would be easy enough to set up new email/adverts accounts, and go through the process with him to see what paypal email address he is using on these sales.

Get his PayPal shut down if possible

Presumably that will cause the scammer lots of problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Get his PayPal shut down if possible

Presumably that will cause the scammer lots of problems

A lot more problems that most people realise.

If paypal close your account they also blacklist any credit or debit card linked to the account and won't allow you to open another account using them ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

You're still making offers on adverts, look here at amazon warehouse, full warranty consoles with minor blemishes (indescription) and sometimes nothing wrong just a mark on the outside packaging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Gamestop or Cex are other places to try for ps4.saw and add on Gamestop facebook page 500gb ps4 slim extra controller and ufc 2 for 299 not a bad deal

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭2forjoy

When I buy via Paypal , I always ask the buyer to send me a Paypal invoice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

2forjoy wrote: »
    When I buy via Paypal , I always ask the buyer to send me a Paypal invoice.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Did you contact your card issuer?I still believe a chargeback is possible,even with friends and family.Paypal then go after the paypal account holder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

http://www.game.co.uk/en/playstation-4-500gb-silver-with-dishonored-fallout-4-doom-and-now-tv-3-month-entertainment-2066808?spotlightOtherCatFlag=Y

fairly decent deal on a new PS4 Slim 280ish after parcel motel, with 3 games and 2 controllers (if you dont want the games you could sell to Cex for about 35euro)
    I wouldn't bother getting a used one (unless its very cheap) when you can always find a good deal on a new one if you shop around
    People dont tend to clean dust out of them and that can cause problems after a while with overheating
    And dont get an original PS4 they had HDMI issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭webpal

If I was asked to pay via friends and family I would usually say and offer to add extra to cover the fees. That way buyer still gets what they asked for and I get protection. Don't let locations on adverts fool you either, I don't even put in my real location, just the county. Can pm exact location details one deal is agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

magentis wrote: »
    Did you contact your card issuer?I still believe a chargeback is possible,even with friends and family.Paypal then go after the paypal account holder.

This can be done, I've done it recently with success

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Issue a CB to paypal and expect to have your account with them permanently closed. No paypal is pretty limiting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,391 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

webpal wrote: »
    If I was asked to pay via friends and family I would usually say and offer to add extra to cover the fees. That way buyer still gets what they asked for and I get protection.

If the advert states that they accept Paypal, I wouldn't be offering anything extra. Their fees are their problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

How much is a new ps4 from the shop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

How much is a new ps4 from the shop?

They have an offer on a the moment 500gb ps4 slim extra controller and ufc 2 for 299

Send me your PayPal via PM Lukesmom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Ask PayPal if his money is in fact frozen or is he spoofing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Horrible tale but fair play to those who donated, restored my faith in humanity!

Please don't buy the next one off the internet. Let me know how much you have and I'll send the rest to get the new one for 299

• Advertisement

Hi. I bought another one off adverts today. It's used but working perfect. I got it with 2 controllers and 2 games and a turtle beach headset. It is 1tb. Got it for 280 euros. I drove to meet the seller he came up from limerick so met him halfway in kildare. Anyway my son is happy so I'm happy. Thank you so much all for suggestions and advice. For donations and for helping me. I went into the gardai this evening and gave them all the information relating to what happened. I have to go back in tomorrow evening to make a statement. Would have liked to have gotten it done there and then but he said no has to be tomorrow evening. He took loads of details and wants photos of conversations between myself and the scammer. I wouldn't be too confident he will be caught though but there's always a chance.

Advertisement