Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scammed help

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

280 for a used ps4?!? You got scammed again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

280 for a used ps4?!? You got scammed again!

I hope I'm not the only one that thinks that comment spoils the helpful tone of the rest of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Have you tried the PS4 yet? I really hope it works. And it's not too bad for the 1TB version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Glad it worked out but TBH you should have gone for a new one after everything

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

lukesmom wrote: »
    Hi. I bought another one off adverts today. It's used but working perfect.

This would make me wonder...! I hope all the genuine and generous people who donated did so for a true cause. Trying not be sceptical but why, after all you've been through, would you chance adverts again! This time you were risking other peoples money not just your own.

Anyway im glad your son got sorted and some really are so generous and kind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Meeeee79 wrote:
    This would make me wonder...! I hope all the genuine and generous people who donated did so for a true cause. Trying not be sceptical but why, after all you've been through, would you chance adverts again! This time you were risking other peoples money not just your own.

Meeeee79 wrote:

What are you sceptical about? Why don't you go into my adverts account and you will see how much I paid for the ps4 etc. And it's not adverts that is the issue. It's a seller that conned me. Adverts has never caused me any issue and I never had anybody scam me until the other day. I looked at gamestop, argos and smyths and they were above the cost of what we had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

What are you sceptical about? Why don't you go into my adverts account and you will see how much I paid for the ps4 etc. And it's not adverts that is the issue. It's a seller that conned me. Adverts has never caused me any issue and I never had anybody scam me until the other day. I looked at gamestop, argos and smyths and they were above the cost of what we had.

Fair play to you. You should be proud yourself. You're a great mum ðŸ‘

I hope your little man realises how lucky he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I just find this thread fascinating.
    It represents the good in humanity, the skepticism, the apathy, the vulnerability.
    I guess there is no sure proof way of measuring the accuracy of OP story.

But my hat goes off to the people who donated. They took a chance and went out on a dime, with no guarantees, only armed with the information they had, took a chance, because they believed it was the right thing to do, especially so early on with the little information they had.

Based on the details we have, we can choose to believe in the story and take action, or be cynical and believe those people who donated to be foolish, or remain somewhere in the middle.

I just want to be clear, I am in no way questioning the validity of the OPs story. I am just merely commenting on peoples reaction to it. For me the mystery of it and peoples different reactions is why I find it so interesting.

And for the record, I choose to believe the story, but not so much that I would donate. The people that donated / or wanted to donate are far better people than me, and show the true goodness in humanity, and I for one, find their gestures heartening.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,154 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

She got the PS4 plus games, headset, 1TB so on. It's a fair price for her and the seller.

It's funny that people question the OPs story. She has a long history on adverts with only positive feedback. If only all the sellers on adverts were like her.

It's funny that people question the OPs story. She has a long history on adverts with only positive feedback. If only all the sellers on adverts were like her.

She got the PS4 plus games, headset, 1TB so on. It's a fair price for her and the seller.

Thanks a million for that it's really appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

best of luck lukesmom. i love your username, i could have chosen "lukesdad" as my username. our little lukes both stuck in playing computer games in the middle of summer? bejaysus i wouldnt have got away with that when i was a nipper, out the feckin door at 9 in the morning and "dont bother coming home till its dark". how we survived i'll never know. anyway i believe you, seen your posts before, genuine person. peace out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Meeeee79 wrote: »

I use adverts quite often, not everyone is out to scam. I can see looking back that lukesmom this time met up with the person instead of paypal/delivery. Big difference.

I wouldn't let a story like this put me off Adverts or Donedeal, just to always exercise caution before handing money over.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Glad it worked out but TBH you should have gone for a new one after everything

For many people, the luxury of buying new is out of reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

I wouldn't let a story like this put me off Adverts or Donedeal, just to always exercise caution before handing money over.

I'd be pretty certain this wouldn't have happened when Adverts was a pure community forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah as mentioned file a chargeback to get your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I've read many of your posts and know you're genuine, I'm a bit late but I'll donate a tenner too!!

Some scum on adverts. It really can be that easy...never pay by friends and family. It can be turned on its head too...if you're a seller and get paid for a business transaction , you better get proof the buyer received it because otherwise PayPal will take that money back off you!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah as mentioned file a chargeback to get your money back.

You can say goodbye to using that card, email or any other details for Paypal again if you do so; and have a limited chance of getting anything back anyway.

By using friends and family on Paypal you have not bought any products/services from Paypal to have rights to do a chargeback.

I've read many of your posts and know you're genuine, I'm a bit late but I'll donate a tenner too!!

Some scum on adverts. It really can be that easy...never pay by friends and family. It can be turned on its head too...if you're a seller and get paid for a business transaction , you better get proof the buyer received it because otherwise PayPal will take that money back off you!

Hi thanks so much for the offer but I have a ps4 got for him now. Thanks for the advice I won't ever use the family and friends option again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Any word from the Garda?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

L1011 wrote:
    You can say goodbye to using that card, email or any other details for Paypal again if you do so; and have a limited chance of getting anything back anyway.

L1011 wrote:
    By using friends and family on Paypal you have not bought any products/services from Paypal to have rights to do a chargeback.

Wrong. I have done this on 2 occasions and I never had anything happen to me.it does take around 2 months to get your money back.

• Advertisement

Suckit wrote:
    Any word from the Garda?

Not a sausage

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

keavebm wrote: »
    Wrong. I have done this on 2 occasions and I never had anything happen to me.it does take around 2 months to get your money back.

Read the T&Cs. You have been unfeasibly lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

keavebm wrote: »

Charge backs are generally for when your account has been debited without your permission, the OP authorized PayPal to debit her account. If she was to do a charge back that money would be out of PayPal's account, not the sellers. PayPal could easily contest this and try recover the money from you as it would be considered fraudulent.

The OP's issue is with the seller, not PayPal. Therefore charge back would not apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Adverts appear to distance themselves from sellers behavior
    You assume total responsibility and risk for your use of the site and the Internet. Adverts.ie provides the site and related information "as is" and does not make any express or implied warranties, representations or endorsements whatsoever (including without limitation warranties of title or non infringement, or the implied warranties or merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose) with regard to the service, any merchandise information or service provided through the service or on the internet generally, and Adverts.ie shall not be liable for any cost or damage arising either directly or indirectly from any such transaction. It is solely your responsibility to evaluate the accuracy, completeness and usefulness of all opinions, advice, services, merchandise and other information provided through the service or on the internet generally. Adverts.ie does not warrant that the service will be uninterrupted or error-free or that defects in the service will be corrected.

degsie wrote:
    Adverts appear to distance themselves from sellers behavior

Yes they do and they were zero help to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Yes they do and they were zero help to me.

Adverts are an advertising website and are limited in what they can do. As for distancing themselves from you, have you ever rang up a company and had to answer loads of questions just to verify YOUR identity? Data Protection reasons?

Adverts is the same.

If they released as much as a first name (if they had it), the Data Protection Commissioner would prosecute them.

The gardai can make a section 8 request to the Adverts admin, this will allow ALL information to be handed over. You need to push the gardai.

Advertisement