Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice: dodgy parts of city centre?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm too observant. :pac: Maybe these young ladies are just concerned about the state of the economy and ensuring I'm always 'looking for business' opportunities.

TBH They might not have been technically on Thomas street or in central Ballsbridge but in both cases they were pretty close and some of the office districts in D2 suffer* from it too.

*It's not really an issue walking past tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Victor wrote: »
    Yeah. They used Molyneaux Yard (lane at other side of Vicar Street) instead.
    I'm beginning to wonder if I'm too observant. :pac: Maybe these young ladies are just concerned about the state of the economy and ensuring I'm always 'looking for business' opportunities.

TBH They might not have been technically on Thomas street or in central Ballsbridge but in both cases they were pretty close and some of the office districts in D2 suffer* from it too.

*It's not really an issue walking past tbh.

The closest they ever got to Thomas Street was in Smithfield across the Liffey in Dublin 7 .......... and even that was over 10 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MadDog76 wrote: »
    The closest they ever got to Thomas Street was in Smithfield across the Liffey in Dublin 7 .......... and even that was over 10 years ago!

Molyneaux Yard was a historical thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Didn't realise street brazzers still exist. Thought they were all on the internet.
    If it is indeed a London based financial firm relocating then local brazzers are probably a necessity

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Lived off Thomas street for years and I would not locate a 24x7 business there- I think a lot of people coming too or from work at 4 in the morning would be uncomfortable. You're unlikely to have any hassle, but I've seen enough dodgy stuff over the years to know you need to have your wits about you. It'd be fine for a 9 to 5 type of company.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Molyneaux Yard was a historical thing.

Historical being the key word .......... :)

bmwguy wrote: »
    Didn't realise street brazzers still exist. Thought they were all on the internet.
    If it is indeed a London based financial firm relocating then local brazzers are probably a necessity

They don't anymore apart from 2 or 3 heroin addicts on Burlington Road some Saturday nights and the odd Friday night.

Aye years back but they got as far as Thomas street, or at least the adjoining streets. Actually Blackhall place around the Law Soc was the ironic enough epicenter.

Aye years back but they got as far as Thomas street, or at least the adjoining streets. Actually Blackhall place around the Law Soc was the ironic enough epicenter.

Blackhall Place is across the Liffey in Dublin 7, they never got anywhere near Thomas Street though ..............

Blackhall Place is across the Liffey in Dublin 7, they never got anywhere near Thomas Street though ..............

We'll just have to disagree. I'm not bowing to your superior knowledge of Dublin red light districts. :pac: All gone now though, off the street anyway except for D2/D4 where it's still rife.

• Advertisement

..............Thomas Street does intersect with one or two dangerous streets though as you get further from the city centre end, which it might be easy to wander into by mistake - Basin Street / View adjacent to the Guinness Storehouse is a scary place even for some Dubliners so I'd learn where the turn-off for that street is and avoid it like the plague.....................

Wandered in there of a Sunday morning last August, Jesus ..... I'd struggle to verbalise the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Augeo wrote: »
    Wandered in there of a Sunday morning last August, Jesus ..... I'd struggle to verbalise the place.

Fights in progress? The night I got lost around there was characterised by a sort of "set fire to as many things as possible while baaaetin' the sh!te out of eachother and yelling at any passers by" mentality :D

In fairness, the place tends to boast by far the most impressive bonfire anywhere in the city around Halloween, so that redeems it somewhat ;)

...... there was a load lads aged 16 to 40 just sitting on footpaths etc. What was weird was that many of them looked really manky, like hadn't washed in months. Too fat to be on junk but not overly healthy looking.

Toddlers and dogs playing happily.

This was about 11am. ... strange vibe about the place. Be slow to wander in there again. To be fair they were amicable enough but I was glad I didn't run out of petrol in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

...... there was a load lads aged 16 to 40 just sitting on footpaths etc. What was weird was that many of them looked really manky, like hadn't washed in months. Too fat to be on junk but not overly healthy looking.

Toddlers and dogs playing happily.

This was about 11am. ... strange vibe about the place. Be slow to wander in there again. To be fair they were amicable enough but I was glad I didn't run out of petrol in there.

There was, and is at least one homeless shelter up the road.. Could have been related to that.

There was, and is at least one homeless shelter up the road.. Could have been related to that.

Yeah, maybe. As I said I'd find it hard to verbalise what I saw, I'd know lots of typical scumbags and a few more hardened criminals and of course like everyone would have noticed folks with addiction problems etc etc.

Just never quite saw the likes of in there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Used to be a big halting site in there when I lived in the area but that was years ago. Got chased down the road there for booting a dog that tried to bite me.

In a strange way, it's a unique, interesting little area (at least around Pim Street) in the shadow of the brewery but I wouldn't really live or locate a business there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Thanks to everyone for the advice and anecdotes!

Thought I'd update for anyone who cares. We had a great trip across about three weeks ago and spent the day scouting around the city centre looking at potential offices. Our new Dublin gaff in Fitzwilliam Place will be opening in mid October :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

I would stay away from dame lane people are always getting the **** kicked out of them in that area.

Advertisement