Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closure of the Quays, new route possibilities!

Options
  • 02-08-2017 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

The south quays are closing from Friday for a week and they're also advertising some disruption of the North Quays at Bachelor's Walk . Detail here. So, it's an opportunity to try out some different routes I guess, I hate the Quays but they're probably the quickest way from the PP to Marlborough Street.

I've thought about taking the Canal from Castleknock to Drumcondra and then down Gardiner Street before - anyone travel that way? Any pros / cons? Or any suggestions for going around/down/through the Luas line on the North Quays? Likewise any alternative suggestions for City to PP - the route map is suggesting Dame Street / Christchurch. I was up there on the bike once recently and it was not pleasant between the chaos at College Green and the volume of pedestrians on the street all the way up to Dublin Castle :eek:.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

If your destination in the CC is anywhere near the canal, then I find through the park, right at the Aras, keep straight at the next bend to go down the Kyber road and out the Islandbridge gate, then cross the river here and go around the canal is a decent alternative. Similar option for heading outbound (or stay inside the canal and go along SCR - tends to flow better outbound than inbound in the AM), except enter the park at the Chapelizod gate further out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The RoyalCanal Castleknock to Drumcondra is ok, but its not fast with all the gates. Its ok as an alternative and mostly off road. But I would always just the park as its much faster.

I have no idea with the new layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Not fast but traffic-free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The novelty of getting into the city centre from D15 without going near a road makes it worth trying for that reason alone.

I've never done it in the dark. Wouldn't be keen on that. I've only done it in the summer in good weather and it was very pleasant.

Advertisement