Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High pitched noise on O Connell street

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

papu wrote: »
    26, I can hear it loudly from across the road.

Annoys me every time I walk by it

Across O'Connell Street, with buses, taxis etc going by?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Across O'Connell Street, with buses, taxis etc going by?

Yup, its a much higher frequency than all those sounds.
    High and low frequencies vibrations are detected by different part of the ears. Higher frequency waves also have more power, but less directional, sure if a bus or tree gets in the way I can't hear it, but I always walk on the opposite side of the street as I cant stand to walk on the side with the emitter. I wish they would get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

me_irl wrote: »
    http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2011/06/mosquito-ringtones/

^ I'm under 35 and I can't hear the "39 and younger" 15kHz frequency! I blame my lack of foresight (well, now hindsight) to wear earplugs at all the metal gigs I've attended.

I actually use the 8kHz frequency as my alarm tone... because I hate myself. :pac:
    I'm still hearing 17kHz (24 & Younger can hear). 44 next month. And metal gigs? These ol' ears survived everything McGonagle's could throw at them in the late 80s!
    Dramatik wrote: »
    I can clearly hear the sound in that video. must try it in real life next time I'm in the vicinity. I can also hear those ultrasonic anti-vermin alarms people plug in in their kitchens.

Do I have a superpower? Am I High-Pitched Hearing Man?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

endacl wrote: »
    I can clearly hear the sound in that video. must try it in real life next time I'm in the vicinity. I can also hear those ultrasonic anti-vermin alarms people plug in in their kitchens.

Do I have a superpower? Am I High-Pitched Hearing Man?
    :D

If they're the 40kHz (40,000hz) that stop dustmites from replicating, then yes.

Some of the mole repellents appear to go from 3-400hz and upwards which is normal range.

Lower end bass sounds are more desired and mistakenly advertised on many (passive radiator) portable speakers as having 'great bass'. But will often fail to get below 80hz on these and max uppers at 20khz.

I've studio monitors will say hello to 35hz and 22khz. Used to have woofer with 'subsonic' 30hz reflex switch. The Bösendorfer Imperial grand piano has special low black keys with F0 22hz, proper bass.

Even deaf people enjoy bass through floor/air vibrations, whereas the mosquito device is likely only to cause pain and annoyance.

Advertisement