Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hammock Camping sleeping bag questions

Options
  • 03-08-2017 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I bought myself a hammock and used it with a snugpak chrysalis 2 bag (comfort 2 degrees C I think). I put a cheap as chips blue foam mat under me.

1. Getting into a sleeping bag in a hammock is damn near impossible. Getting into it while trying to keep a mat in place takes a minor miracle. I managed it but I thought there must be a simpler way.

2. I was warm for 3 of those 4 nights. The 4th I was a bit nippy, although tent people with me also said it was cold. Lost my thermometer on the way so no idea what the temp was but I'd guess about 4 or 5 degrees C.

3. On the nights I was warm I got condensation on my mat to the extent that I had damp patches on my sleeping bag (no rain so definitely condensation ).

I've now bought a snugpak underblanket and here are my question:-
    1. Do I sleep in my sleeping bag or with my sleeping bag draped over me?

2. Do I use my mat as well for extra warmth or is it now redundant?

3. In a tent I usually sleep in just underwear and a t-shirt. What sort of temperatures should I be getting away with (assuming about 3 degrees), but in lower temperatures (near freezing) if I were to add a blanket on top will my bottom still be warm enough?

Sorry that's a lot all in one go, but I'm off again next weekend and I want to be comfortable. I'm loving the hammock feeling, I just need to iron out my niggles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eminence

Hey:)
    1. The whole idea of a sleeping 'bag' is so that it surrounds you and traps your own body heat to keep you warm, opening the zip on you bag will decrease it's efficiency at keeping you warm.
    2. Well thats up to you, the mat can be used for insulation as well as keeping the hammock in 'steady' conditions. If you lie parallel to the hanging direction in the hammock and twist your body making a 30ish degree angle in the hammock you will feel like you have more space and will be less likely to fall out :)
    3. The general principle for heat transfer across a surface refers to two temperatures across the surface as well as the thermal resistance of the surface. If youre lying in a hammock in your sleeping back your body weight will compress the insulating material under you in your bag creating a thermal bridge so you might feel cold from the bottom. As well as that if there is any wind, forced convection will also make you lose heat. If you continue using you sleeping pad youre going to create a impermable layer for the wind (as your pad most likely holds air therefore air cannot penetrate it, and add a layer of heat retention from the bottom from your underquilt.

Ultimately it all depends on what mode of travel you opt for and how far away do you carry your gear. Generally the more you have under you the better and warmer, but remember, if you get soaked its more to dry too :)

Matthew

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Lol, takes a bit of practice to get into the bag alright! ;) I find (if the ground is dry underneath) it's usually easier to get into the sleeping bag outside the hammock and then sit in.

I use a Snugpak TSB bag (relatively inexpensive and v cosy) and a self inflating mat. Coldest I've been out in the hammock is about 2 degrees and while I wasn't cold, I was aware of the cold. Would rather an outer blanket for much lower.

1, 2 and 3 are really down to your own preference, though I'd recommend sleeping in an opened sleeping bag rather than draping it over you if you're too warm.

I find I'm most comfortable with a base layer, pj bottoms and socks. More in the bag gets uncomfortable, less is fine in warmer weather.
    A hat and dry warm socks make the difference between a comfortable night and a sleepless night at marginal temperatures.

Advertisement