Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should there be a bike path on the prom?

Options
  • 03-08-2017 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Just a question.

There are currently bike paths either end of the prom (South park & behind the golf course), should these be joined up with a path running the full length?

In the majority of cities or resorts i've visited the promenade has always had a colored bike path and these locations are just as busy as Salthill (maybe except the few sunny days we have every year).

Bike path on prom? 85 votes

Yes
    1% 1 vote
    No
    64% 55 votes
    Maybe
    34% 29 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes. Am totally sick of cyclists on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

But would you be happy with the bike path on the footpath?

promenade-with-cycle-path-cala-bona-majorca-balearics-spain-BN41WN.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

The surface of the prom is conducive to speed. Imagine a loose child running after a ball or whatever and a speeding bike.

topcat77 wrote: »
    But would you be happy with the bike path on the footpath?

promenade-with-cycle-path-cala-bona-majorca-balearics-spain-BN41WN.jpg

Provided the cyclists only used that, absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

bobbyss wrote: »
    The surface of the prom is conducive to speed. Imagine a loose child running after a ball or whatever and a speeding bike.

You'd have to imagine it as the number of serous pedestrian - cyclists accident is practically nil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Provided the cyclists only used that, absolutely.

Provided pedestrians stayed out of it, absolutely. Am totally sick of pedestrians.

I'd much rather ban those 20 foot retractable dog leashes creating a trip wire across the entire path.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I thought there is a bike path on the prom. There's a yellow line running down the side of the path closest to the sea. (or at least, I always remember that there was...)

Whilst we're at it, can we also stop slow people walking 5 abreast down the prom... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

To work, I think they would need to remove the on-road parking along the prom and have on-road bike lanes. Ideally 2 lanes and seperated from the main traffic like they have in Cork City. Would be nice but I can imagine the objections to that! Parking is already fairly limited in Salthill, relative to the demand.

J o e wrote: »
    Ideally 2 lanes and seperated from the main traffic like they have in Cork City.

From here: http://irishcycle.com/2014/03/12/cork-cycling-goes-contra-flow/

1002081_452805354827207_1922393254_n.jpg

J o e wrote: »
    To work, I think they would need to remove the on-road parking along the prom and have on-road bike lanes. Ideally 2 lanes and seperated from the main traffic like they have in Cork City. Would be nice but I can imagine the objections to that! Parking is already fairly limited in Salthill, relative to the demand.

No, removing the on-street parking would be a terrible mistake.

Also, you can't expect cyclists to stop cycling along the water to enjoy the facility.

@Redhairedguy must be joking about the yellow line. That's just a caution line so people don't fall off the prom which has quite a drop in a few places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

@Redhairedguy must be joking about the yellow line. That's just a caution line so people don't fall off the prom which has quite a drop in a few places.

I seem to recall that there was a bicycle insignia on it, and being somewhat incredulous about how narrow a lane it was. Could be totally wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Yes and the paid for Sunday parking should pay for it. At least then we'd know where the money went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

topcat77 wrote: »
    There are currently bike paths either end of the prom (South park & behind the golf course), should these be joined up with a path running the full length?

I think there should be a bike path but it would need to be separated by a low wall from the pedestrian path. The bike paths in South Park and behind the golf course are useless because there's always pedestrians in them. And they get huffy when you ring your bike bell to warn them that you're coming up behind them! :rolleyes:

I think there should be a bike path but it would need to be separated by a low wall from the pedestrian path. The bike paths in South Park and behind the golf course are useless because there's always pedestrians in them. And they get huffy when you ring your bike bell to warn them that you're coming up behind them! :rolleyes:

I disagree. I think a few bike stencils and a few signs along the prom is all it would take.

Here's why:

Once and for all bikes are acknowledged as having a right to cruise the prom.

But the rule is pedestrians always have the right of way; we're sharing their space and that acknowledgement is more important than above. Obviously a 14 stone dude tearing it up at 20mph is terrifying and stupid. So a few signs that while bikes might be allowed you must share the road type of thing.

Look, I bike to mutton island every day for exercise. I go from the golf course along the prom to mutton island and back. But I try to respect everyone and not be a pest. I think as long as we do that we can let common sense prevail and share the prom.

Could it link into some longer trail?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

In some other European countries, the bike lane and the pedestrian one are delineated by colour, but sometimes are hard to tell apart if you're not a local. I've been that eejit who strays outside the line, and is narrowly avoided by a talented cyclist who managed not to feic me out of it despite me not seeing her. I've been the same as a cyclist with pedestrians stepping out in front of me, and scowling when I ding a bell.

It would take a while for people to get used to both sharing the same level I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

In Berlin some pavements are shares between cyclists and pedestrians.

The cycle lanes are usually colour coded. Some have a different texture. You get to know them quickly.

I disagree. I think a few bike stencils and a few signs along the prom is all it would take.

Here's why:

But the rule is pedestrians always have the right of way; we're sharing their space and that acknowledgement is more important than above. Obviously a 14 stone dude tearing it up at 20mph is terrifying and stupid. So a few signs that while bikes might be allowed you must share the road type of thing.

Look, I bike to mutton island every day for exercise. I go from the golf course along the prom to mutton island and back. But I try to respect everyone and not be a pest. I think as long as we do that we can let common sense prevail and share the prom.

I don't know if you are allowed to cycle on the prom? But if it is not allowed and a child did run out in front of me and I injured him seriously I would feel very guilty about breaking the law. The parents of said child probably could not take any action against you as you would have no insurance. Not everyone has common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

nuac wrote: »
    In Berlin some pavements are shares between cyclists and pedestrians.

The cycle lanes are usually colour coded. Some have a different texture. You get to know them quickly.

This. You get to know them quickly as a local, it took me a while. Most 'pedestrian strays' on cycle paths tend to be tourists.

Also, you can't expect cyclists to stop cycling along the water to enjoy the facility.

Are you having a laugh?

If we took you logic to an extreme, the entire footpath should be removed so that the passengers in cars can enjoy the facility.

As a driver (whether of a motorised or non-motorised vehicle), your eyes should not be on the water! They should be on the road and surrounding environment where hazzards might come from.

Here's why:

Vehicles do not have a right to cruise any footpath. Ever.

There are some pathways that have been established from the get-go as shared paths: cyclists on one side, walkers on the other.

The seaward side of the prom is wide enough that it could be converted to one of these - and if that happened, then it would be legal for you to ride on the cycle-portion. But until then, it's not.

But a free-for-all is just not an option. It's just not safe enough for the various vulnerable people (especially the old, young and pregnant) who walk along there each day. And as someone pointed out, cyclists are generally uninsured so if they injure someone, it's generally though luck.

• Advertisement

You haven't a clue. What fascist country are you from again? Sorry the rest of us in the real world can't adhere to your black and white nihilistic rule-following utopia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Making the road one way and introducing a 2 way contra flow cycle lane would be great.

i often cycle to work in the morning Via the prom. I take my time and cruise along the foot path and give plenty of room to walker. At this time of the morning i'm lucky if i see 10 people out on the prom, it's a shame that i'm in the wrong.

There are some pathways that have been established from the get-go as shared paths: cyclists on one side, walkers on the other.

There are also pathways which are designated as shared, not separated.

I'd like to see the Prom as a shared space.

I don't want the council to stop children riding their bikes, riding their flickers and roller skating. Even if they're closely monitored by their parents or an adult
    they're still breaking the existing law. A child is no different to an adult when it comes to this law.

I want everyone to be able to use the prom. lets facilitate and not ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

I don't know what the legal situation is as regards cycling on the Prom (or similar) but a cyclist doing so should be equipped with a bell, or equivalent. It is at least very disconcerting, and sometimes dangerous, especially for the vulnerable, to find a bike suddenly fly up behind them from the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Poll added

You haven't a clue. What fascist country are you from again? Sorry the rest of us in the real world can't adhere to your black and white nihilistic rule-following utopia.

Thanks for the great insight into the mindset of people who use bicycles. To summarise:

Expecting vehicle users to use the road = fascist.
    Expecting all vehicle users to obey the road-code = nihilistic rule-following utopia

It's not hard to see why other people (both car-users and pedestrians) have issues with cyclists.

Back to topic!

• Advertisement

1641 wrote:
    I don't know what the legal situation is as regards cycling on the Prom (or similar) but a cyclist doing so should be equipped with a bell, or equivalent. It is at least very disconcerting, and sometimes dangerous, especially for the vulnerable, to find a bike suddenly fly up behind them from the rear.

Yeah I agree. Young fellas cycling at speed cause anxiety and ruin a nice walk. Often I see them without even hoding the bars in show off mode. With kids walking beside you, your walk is miserable.

Advertisement