Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should there be a bike path on the prom?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Was in Spain recently and was on a lovely prom that had shared use for pedestrians and walkers. Everyone(nearly everyone) was mindful and courteous, but I had no comfort walking, thinking there might be some cyclist coming up behind us, when he could easily clip someone on the crowded pavement. I also couldn't see how the cyclists could enjoy it, as they had to twist and turn between the pedestrians. Even when the path was marked for one user or another, people would still use the wrong lanes.
    The idea of a one way system on the road and using the other as a cycle/ skater lane sounds like a good idea though

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The idea of a one way system on the road and using the other as a cycle/ skater lane sounds like a good idea though

Which way should it go, though - east to west or west to east?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

How about both? Clearly posted that incorporates rush hours in morning and evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Mr Starman

bobbyss wrote: »
    The surface of the prom is conducive to speed. Imagine a loose child running after a ball or whatever and a speeding bike.

You sound like a bad road safety advertisement.

But I see your point, all it takes is one lycra wearing maniac pedaling like the clappers on one of those new carbon fibre framed road bikes to cause serious damage on the prom. And they rarely use brakes, do these guys even have them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

jjpep wrote: »
    Making the road one way and introducing a 2 way contra flow cycle lane would be great.

Great idea! Together with a refurb of the prom, salthill and black rock would be wonderful. Use the Sunday parking money to fund it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

In Salthll
    1. Parking along the road should be banned - if necessary larger carparks should be provided

2 Only kids under 10 should be allowed cycle on footpaths. Rest on the road

I wouldn't be familiar enough with the traffic patterns to give an opinion on which would work best.

nuac wrote: »
    In Salthll
    1. Parking along the road should be banned - if necessary larger carparks should be provided

2 Only kids under 10 should be allowed cycle on footpaths. Rest on the road

I'd agree with the first, but would wonder where larger carparks would be located.

On your second point, children can be even more unpredictable than adults and I wouldn't want them on a footpath. Purpose built, well designed cycle lane should be suitable for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lfc12345

I believe cycling on a path is illegal unless otherwise stated?

I never really got why cyclists cycled on the prom anyway, seems like way too much hassle avoiding all those people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

lfc12345 wrote: »
    I believe cycling on a path is illegal unless otherwise stated?

I never really got why cyclists cycled on the prom anyway, seems like way too much hassle avoiding all those people

Cycling on the footpath is not illegal in Ireland. It's actually allowed for a lot of the way behind the golf course and again in South Park. There is 1 old decrepit sign along the prom but it's a grey zone as to if it's seriously not allowed. There maybe rules in some areas, but you aren't breaking the law. Galway is pretty terrible for bike lanes. Until they exist there are times for safety you need to mount the footpath.

In the case of the prom, not everyone is bombing it at 20mph many are just cruising along no faster than a kid of a skateboard. Typically I cycle early in the morning and there's nobody there. Only now when all the fair weather walkers does it occasionally get crowded and as you say I go so slow waiting to safely pass I'd rather take the road... but I'd be happier doing so if there were bike lanes.

• Advertisement

Cycling on the footpath is not illegal in Ireland.

Have you a link to back up that claim?

A Promenade is made for using for leisurely pursuits, walking, cycling, skating etc.

The best solution would be to remove parking along the prom from Seapoint to Blackrock and widen the path even further to add a 2 lane cycleway i.e. 1 outbound, 1 inbound.

The only issue is, what piece of crap Salthill architecture do you knock to build parking to accommodate for the 100 lost spaces. Alternatively, just remove the parking and don't bother replacing the spaces. Guaranteed to cause a heck of a lot more to change to bus, walk or cycle.

A Promenade is made for using for leisurely pursuits, walking, cycling, skating etc.
    Promenade comes from the French verb promener - to walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Promenade comes from the French verb promener - to walk.

Wrong

you can use promener for various forms of transport.

une promenade a velo "a bicycle ride, a bike ride"

une promenade en voiture "a drive"

faire une promenade a velo "to go for a bike ride"

marcher - to walk

Fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Look, I bike to mutton island every day for exercise. I go from the golf course along the prom to mutton island and back.
    Cycling on the footpath is not illegal in Ireland.

It is illegal in Ireland.

You can only cycle across a footpath if entering or exiting a property.

Was cycling down to the streets of Galway race on Saturday (On the road) and i thought of a solution.

1. Move the parking to the other side of the road.

2. create a 2 way cycle lane on the road next to the prom with a barrier to stop cars parking on it.

It could be tight on space but i'm sure something could be engineered to make it work.

Moving the car parking to the other side of the road will use up one of the traffic lanes. You'll be down to 1 lane and a one-way system.

J o e wrote: »
    Moving the car parking to the other side of the road will use up one of the traffic lanes. You'll be down to 1 lane and a one-way system.

But there is already parking on one side and a two way system is in currently in use. Just change the side of the road.

topcat77 wrote: »
    But there is already parking on one side and a two way system is in currently in use. Just change the side of the road.

Yes but aren't you proposing to put a 2-way cycle lane in the space where the parking currently is?

• Advertisement

you could use the footpath next to the road which isn't part of the prom and you'd have to re engineer sections of the road to make it work (leasure land - Salthill park section).

Here's a draft solution that I think could work...

This is roughly the current layout;

425140.png

I'd propose removing the footpath from the other side of the road. This may require improved pedestrian crossings where roads perpendicular to the prom join in, but there are only a few.

With the footpath removed, move the traffic lanes and parking over to the wall to make space for a two-way cycle lane. Keep the cycle lane at road-level but seperated from the main road with a small kerb.

425141.png

Actually in hindsight that could be problematic with car passengers opening doors and getting in/out of the cars along the cycle path. :o

If anything it might be better to move the cycle lanes over to the wall side, but then it's no longer an enjoyable cycle along the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

If anything it might be better to move the cycle lanes over to the wall side, but then it's no longer an enjoyable cycle along the sea.

Hop off the bike, and walk along the prom wheeling the bike beside you, if people want to enjoy the sea. Cycle lane across the road for if you want to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Hop off the bike, and walk along the prom wheeling the bike beside you, if people want to enjoy the sea. Cycle lane across the road for if you want to travel.
    Cycling should be either functional or pleasant but it's greedy to wish for it to be both?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Not at all. Just a possible weigh in on Joe's proposition.

I'd propose removing the footpath from the other side of the road. This may require improved pedestrian crossings where roads perpendicular to the prom join in, but there are only a few.

I cannot see that going down well with the businesses and residents of the other side of the road. It might work on the stretch from Dalysfort to Threadneedle Rds, but on the rest ... hard to imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I think there are a few houses on that side who would have huge difficulty coming out of the driveway directly onto a traffic lane without a path as a buffer. Dangerous too.

Yeah fair enough. Back to the drawing board!

• Advertisement

There are potentially a few places that parking from the prom could be moved to...
    • Convert some of the lower part of Salthill Park beside Leisureland to parking. The lower section of the park seems to get quite little use.
    • Use some of the amusement site for parking. The last I heard the council was getting very little for the rental of that space.
    Anyone know is the green area near blackrock under public or private ownership?

425183.png

Advertisement