Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should there be a bike path on the prom?

Options
13»

Comments

J o e wrote: »
    There are potentially a few places that parking from the prom could be moved to...
    • Convert some of the lower part of Salthill Park beside Leisureland to parking. The lower section of the park seems to get quite little use.
    • Use some of the amusement site for parking. The last I heard the council was getting very little for the rental of that space.
    Anyone know is the green area near blackrock under public or private ownership?

425183.png

The lower part of the park is used for the 5's I think, not to mention the many families having picnics and people basically chilling out in the grass at the first hint of sunshine.

Removing any part of the park won't fly. At the very least it would require rezoning of a 100+ yr old park..... for some parking spaces..... not a chance that would get approved when the council are trying to provide more civic spaces, not take them away.

As for the amusements, the council are already under pressure to make better use of that land as a civic space for the duration when the rides aren't there. Also, same issue with zoning.

As I've said, the only way to do this right, is to remove all road side parking from the roundabout to Blackrock tower.

People will find other means of getting there which are more convenient and for those who have to drive, there's already ample parking for the majority of the time and for those few days when it's not, they just have a longer walk. Considering we're talking about how walking is great, I don't see an issue.

Evry-single-time a proposal is made to reduce / remove parking, people and businesses are against it, yet time and again, once it's actually done, nobody would return to the previous situation.

Now, I'm not knocking your ideas, to be honest, I'm actually thrilled to see someone thinking outside the box and promoting discussion on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

As I've said, the only way to do this right, is to remove all road side parking from the roundabout to Blackrock tower.

Awful pain for everyone using the swimming facilities at Blackrock...

J o e wrote: »
    Awful pain for everyone using the swimming facilities at Blackrock...

True, but add a lot more spaces to lock bikes (there is currently a laughable approx 10 spots), stick in a bike share, and, coupled with the parking available on Threadneedle road, the job's done.

Fyi, I'm out in the sticks so I would be one of those who would have no choice but to drive and I still think this is the best way to improve the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

True, but add a lot more spaces to lock bikes (there is currently a laughable approx 10 spots), stick in a bike share, and, coupled with the parking available on Threadneedle road, the job's done.

The parking on Threadneedle Rd? I think this pic gives a pretty good idea of how adequate it is - note where most cars left-side wheels are:

425227.PNG

source: https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2579518,-9.090735,3a,75y,37.62h,71.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s53_Eh3s82UH00qZYzus38Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

What's more, if there was no parking on the Prom, that limited parking on Threadneedle Rd would need to become residents-only, to cater for the people living in the blocks of apartments in that area: even those who don't have cars themselves are likely to have visitors / home-care workers calling to them.

The nett effect would be to make swimming at Blackrock a locals and near-locals (ie within cycling distance) only experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

After considering a few alternatives and trying to find good all-round solutions, I'd opt to leave things as they are. No cycle lane and cyclists not allowed on the prom path (with a blind-eye turned to under 10s).

I think we're better off having a few much needed bike stands along the prom. There is plenty of space for this. The traffic along the prom is generally quite slow-moving anyway so fairly bike-friendly.

What about allowing Endas secondary to start providing parking same as the Bish or Pats in town. You would get an increase in the capacity of parking that way, you're only 5 minutes walk away from the prom and you will be right at Blackrock when you get to the prom.

That might work

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

There should be! I have zero difficulty with kids cycling on the prom with their parents walking beside them. But you see adults flying along on bikes and weaving in and out of people. They shouldn't do that..go onto the road for that! A bike path would be a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

What about allowing Endas secondary to start providing parking same as the Bish or Pats in town. You would get an increase in the capacity of parking that way, you're only 5 minutes walk away from the prom and you will be right at Blackrock when you get to the prom.

That's a long enough walk there to get to the Prom in the first place from Enda's. And then a tough walk back especially if you are elderly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

bobbyss wrote: »
    That's a long enough walk there to get to the Prom in the first place from Enda's. And then a tough walk back especially if you are elderly.
    Not really if your purpose is to walk on the prom. Tough? How is the toughness measured? That section of Threadneedle road has a slight incline, no more difficult than walking on a breezy prom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Not really if your purpose is to walk on the prom. Tough? How is the toughness measured? That section of Threadneedle road has a slight incline, no more difficult than walking on a breezy prom.

A slight incline?

Some people don't want to walk the full length of the Prom from Blackrock to Grattan Road for example. Some can't. But adding the extra Enda's-Blackrock return journey is a step too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Have a look some day at the amount of people who barely shuffle along the prom. It's a great amenity for those who are infirm and who can't manage distances, or who are recuperating. Not everyone can cycle or walk distances.

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Have a look some day at the amount of people who barely shuffle along the prom. It's a great amenity for those who are infirm and who can't manage distances, or who are recuperating. Not everyone can cycle or walk distances.

But what about the vast majority who can?

But what about the vast majority who can?

They will most likely be off hill-walking and the like, and not waste their time on a pissy little stroll like the Prom.

Remember, this in response to a suggestion that ALL parking should be removed from the Prom, including that used by swimmers (ya, they're going to trail all the way up to Endas with wet gear), and elderly people who enjoy watching the sea even though they cannot walk far. You're basically saying that public amenities should be designed around fit and able people, even though such design excludes those who are elderly / infirm / ill.

You're basically saying that public amenities should be designed around fit and able people, even though such design excludes those who are elderly / infirm / ill.
    No never said that - you are saying it? I am saying that loads of people who are not hindered in any way can park "off prom". Give the Car Park opposite COCO to the people who actually deserve it.
    I detect a condescending tone towards the elderly here as well - lots of so called elderly people are far fitter than people 30 years there junior. See it on the Prom all the time.

I detect a condescending tone towards the elderly here as well - lots of so called elderly people are far fitter than people 30 years there junior. See it on the Prom all the time.

Detect / imagine whatever you want.

Yes, I know an 80-something who's fitter than I am. So what. I know a good many more 70-somethings who aren't.

I'm only middle-aged, but I had surgery and a major knee injury earlier in the year. I know perfectly well what it is to be unable to even get into a bus to travel out to Salthill, what it is to only be able to sit and look at the Prom but not walk it, or only able to walk 1/4 of it.

My injury healed. For many elderly/disabled, their condition ain't going to be changing any time soon.

The carpark opposite CoCo is not a place where it's good to sit and look at the sea, either.

Advertisement