Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tenants working as a beauty therapist in house

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

It doesn't matter is she has appropriate insurance for her business, as someone mentioned earlier, you would be in breech of the terms and conditions of your own policy and it could be voided

Doesn't Uberrima fides apply only at inception?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

grogi wrote: »
    Doesn't Uberrima fides apply only at inception?!

You'll probably find a paragraph like this in the policy.

something something something, material change of use, material change of risk, blah blah blah.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Bredabe

karenalot wrote: »
    Depends on the nature of the job. There's a big difference between working from home on a laptop and bringing in several clients a day to use equipment on them. Most businesses would need public liability insurance in place for the second instance.

LL never asked if there would be clients calling or not, as he was "through" if there was a problem I would have heard about it.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

....... wrote: »

The insurance issues would send the ****s running down my leg if I was the landlord.

Could you really afford to pay out 50k to someone who injures themselves while in the apartment without having public liability insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Caliden wrote: »
    The insurance issues would send the ****s running down my leg if I was the landlord.

Could you really afford to pay out 50k to someone who injures themselves while in the apartment without having public liability insurance?

That's making a massive assumption that the tenant has no insurance in place. Insurance for self employed beauty therapist's is commonplace and easily obtained.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

That's making a massive assumption that the tenant has no insurance in place. Insurance for self employed beauty therapist's is commonplace and easily obtained.

True but far better for op to be aware of potential problems and ensure for herself that the issues raised are covered than assuming tenant has insurance that would cover it and op potentially being out a pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭dennyk

I'd think even aside from the insurance (which is a major concern), if the nature of the business is such that some neighbors get annoyed by people coming and going at all hours or other such nuisances, they may complain to the local council about it and the landlord could potentially end up in trouble due to lack of planning permission or other regulatory violations. Running a home business where one simply performs work for clients remotely from your house is one thing, but actually bringing customers into the house for services creates a whole host of potential insurance and regulatory issues which really need to be addressed, and sooner rather than later.

The landlord may also want to revisit her lease agreement and consider getting professional advice on it, as any proper lease ought to have a clause forbidding commercial activity on the premises.

dennyk wrote: »
    I'd think even aside from the insurance (which is a major concern), if the nature of the business is such that some neighbors get annoyed by people coming and going at all hours or other such nuisances, they may complain to the local council about it and the landlord could potentially end up in trouble due to lack of planning permission or other regulatory violations. Running a home business where one simply performs work for clients remotely from your house is one thing, but actually bringing customers into the house for services creates a whole host of potential insurance and regulatory issues which really need to be addressed, and sooner rather than later.

The landlord may also want to revisit her lease agreement and consider getting professional advice on it, as any proper lease ought to have a clause forbidding commercial activity on the premises.

There'll be one client at a time, max two if one arrives before the other leaves. That's very unlikely to be a level that will cause a nuisance or even be noticed. It's worth asking the council the question wrt planning but people are overstating the likely problem. Most likely the council will say it's not a material change of use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭JennyZ

Im still raging, my husband is happy enough to say nothing, but my fear is what if something happens for example some trips down the stairs who is responible for that........for now I will get the carpet cleaned.......
    Your lease agreement is for residential property only and if you think this person is running a business from your property that person should have public liability insurance on the property you need you need to get new tenants or discuss with a solicitor on how to get them out.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There'll be one client at a time, max two if one arrives before the other leaves. That's very unlikely to be a level that will cause a nuisance or even be noticed. It's worth asking the council the question wrt planning but people are overstating the likely problem. Most likely the council will say it's not a material change of use.
    It could be something as small as the neighbours parking spot constantly being taken by people going into the OP's house!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Askthe EA wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish in my opinion. If the tenant brings in a client and they fall, who are they going to sue??

Do tell.

Do tell.

Whoever is closest with the deepest pockets/insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Caliden wrote: »

Can you show us some proof that a landlord would be paying out 50k to a tenants guest in this circumstance. Pretty sure the op hasn't let anyone know that they suspect there is a business being run from their property.

Op I would just say nothing and wouldn't clean the carpets for them. This thread is the definition of uninformed overreaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If I lived next door I'd be kicking up murder thats for sure. Shut it down sharpish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

This very same thing was an issue for my wife a number of years ago, lady renting apartment from my wife and was doing hairdressing on the side from the apartment.. only found out when we seen a post on Facebook that she had up... We asked our insurance company and they said it definitely wasn't insured for business use and any claim made would void our insurance.
    Apartment would have to changed from residential to business use if it was to continue..
    She wasn't best pleased when we told her it had to stop and insisted she was only doing it free of charge for friends or friends of friends even though she had a price list up on Facebook :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭whiskeygirl

ED E wrote: »
    If I lived next door I'd be kicking up murder thats for sure. Shut it down sharpish.

Hilarious over reaction! Why? anyone I know doing this just provides services to friends and family for an extra few quid.

That extra few quid makes all the difference when your stuck renting from greedy, incompetent Irish landlords who jack up prices whenever possible and then take hissy fits when basic maintenance is requested by tenants.

Mod: can we skip the sweeping generalisations please.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hilarious over reaction! Why? anyone I know doing this just provides services to friends and family for an extra few quid.

There's a world of difference between doing nixers from for friends and family vs advertising for clients on Facebook or wherever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

That extra few quid makes all the difference when your stuck renting from greedy, incompetent Irish landlords who jack up prices whenever possible and then take hissy fits when basic maintenance is requested by tenants.

the people you know....not everyone does it just for friends and family as it was stated she had it advertised on facebook !! Just like not every landlord is a greedy so and so either...hakuna your tatas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

The property is let as a residence.

The property is not let as a business premises.

You have the grounds to evict your tenant because your tenant is conducting activity at your property without your permission and consent.

You need to get that tenant out of your property pronto.

One other issue : if your tenant has advertised on Facebook, it is reasonable to assume that agencies of the state such as the Revenue Commissioners will be aware of this activity. Has your tenant registered with the Irish Tax authorities? Have they been paying tax on the income earned at your property?

This tenant of yours could be leaving you with a whole series of problems. You need to be putting clear blue water between you and your tenant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

hinault wrote: »
    The property is let as a residence.

The property is not let as a business premises.

You have the grounds to evict your tenant because your tenant is conducting activity at your property without your permission and consent.

You need to get that tenant out of your property pronto.

One other issue : if your tenant has advertised on Facebook, it is reasonable to assume that agencies of the state such as the Revenue Commissioners will be aware of this activity. Has your tenant registered with the Irish Tax authorities? Have they been paying tax on the income earned at your property?

This tenant of yours could be leaving you with a whole series of problems. You need to be putting clear blue water between you and your tenant.

Ah here, this is getting out of hand.

In the absence of the full facts, which no one on this thread has as the OP hasn't divulged, the only pressing issue here is the insurance one. Everything else is hearsay and speculation. Plenty of people run nixers or even side businesses from their properties, rented or otherwise. We dont know from this thread to what extend the OP's tenants are doing it, whether its a swing door operation or something amongst just the tenant's friends. (If its on her personal facebook page, that would suggest the latter) Find me a hairdresser or beautician in Ireland who DOESNT do nixers with friends.

Whether or not the tenant is tax compliant has no bearing on the OP. The OP is not liable in that regard. Whats the OP going to do, request a tax clearance cert from the tenant?

The tenant should additionally have public liability insurance regardless of where they are operating from.

Before anyone is turfed out, dialogue should be taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I doubt any insurance claim would be entertained if they found that it was due to a business operating on their premise. The OP may then have a hard time getting insurance in the future, after they settle with whoever claims.
    Just to state I know it is in the house as I txted asking for an appointment, she doesnt know me, deals with my husband, and she told me to come to house for appointment.
    Perhaps goto them and get your hair done, and pay for the service. Get a receipt. Don't mention that your husband owns the place.

Also, before you start eviction, check if there's anything in the lease they signed that prohibits running a business in the house. Either way, pay for legal advice as it may get messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I don't think it's a material change of use so unless there are leasehold covenants preventing the operation of the hairdressing, you'd properly be reported for harassment!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

A neighbour of mine doe's it and has been for years. Nobody here has an issue and her landlord doesn't give a fiddlers.
    If waxing people or plucking eyebrows or whatever helps her pay the rent then live and let live, just once she gets insurance which can be had cheaply enough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

A neighbour of mine doe's it and has been for years. Nobody here has an issue and her landlord doesn't give a fiddlers.
    If waxing people or plucking eyebrows or whatever helps her pay the rent then live and let live, just once she gets insurance which can be had cheaply enough

Beautician insurance won't cover the cost of rebuilding the house, if it goes up in smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

once she gets insurance which can be had cheaply enough

You can't insure something you don't have insuranceable interest in.

Marcusm wrote: »
    I don't think it's a material change of use so unless there are leasehold covenants preventing the operation of the hairdressing, you'd properly be reported for harassment!

I don't see how residential to hairdressers could be anything other than change of use.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    I don't see how residential to hairdressers could be anything other than change of use.

It's primary purpose is still as a residence. If there's no separate door and no external signage or other external changes and it's open by appointment only with a single self employed beautician then it's probably not a material change of use. It's determined on a case by case basis so it probably needs to be run past the council but the elements to make it a change of use aren't there.

As for insurance, the same policies cover both a self employed beautician working from home and a mobile beautician so presumably they include some level of protection to the property from which the person is operating as you'd need that to work mobiley. Again needs checking and clarification but the pitchforks are well premature.

Advertisement