Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Envirocare system

Options
  • 03-08-2017 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

We will be in our house 10 years next year.
    We have had issues with the drains backing up pretty much since we moved in, we reported this to the builder/seller who ignored us, so we got our solicitor to contact him and soon enough, he sent someone out who said "there was nothing wrong"

the problem went away for a while, but recently came back and worse than before, we got someone to come and look at it and we were shocked to be told , the tank had been installed backwards!

We have contacted the seller again, who basically told us that it's down to our engineer, as he signed off on it. Can this be right?

Would really appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks

MOD NOTE: What you are looking for is legal advice and not plumbing advice. It is forbidden to give legal advice here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

Ask your engineer what you can do and your options.
    No court in the country would expect him to have Xray vision, and he didn't fit it backwards.
    So not his fault.

You already know whose fault it is.

But it is 10 years now. So I wouldn't expect much.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

It's a bit rich for a builder/developer to try to pass blame for installing a treatment plant backwards onto a purchasers engineer!

Do you think it is reasonable for an engineer to inspect a treatment plant that closely?

Any builder with any decency would be rushing to resolve the issue with their tail between their legs.

It makes you wonder what other surprises he has left for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jd30

there was some dodgy ply board used in the bathrooms, but we caught it early and I made him sort it, but that was the year after we moved in.

apart from a few switches the wrong way round i think were ok!

appreciate the response, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jd30

Cheers Tom,

were going to go to the solicitor next week, im just hoping that because he sent someone out a few years back, who said it was fine might go in our favor!

Kind regards

Justin

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

The phrase to your solicitor your looking for is 'Duty of Care'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

OP what actual system have you got can you describe it?

I've seen the traditional 2 chamber septic tanks installed the wrong way around and no one has spotted it till years later after continued problems with the pipes backing up. Its very easy to spot when the septic tank is full up as the inlet (which should be the outlet) is under the sludge and below the height of the outlet (which should be the inlet).

In the above case it may be possible it there is a good fall along the main feed pipe to dig it up, plug the current inlet hole and drill a new one above the level of the outlet then relay the pipe.

With other systems if they are otherwise working correctly and its just the inlet pipe that is fitted too low if it can't be moved higher up then rather than dig the whole thing up it may be possible to either pump liquid out of the system with an pump and float valve system to keep the inlet above the level of the liquids in the tank. Another solution may be to install a pump system from a small holding tank on the inlet side, the same way houses can be connected to a mains sewer that runs above the level of their drains.

Advertisement