Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop for College

Options
  • 03-08-2017 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Looking for a laptop for someone going back to college, wont be used for gaming. General use, MS office, study, web browsing, nothing too taxing.

Looking for something with an i3, 256GB SSD and Windows.

Budget ideally around €500.

Has to be "pretty" :rolleyes: (whatever the **** that means)!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭cbreeze

You might check out this site,

http://www.laptops4students.ie/

Below is the introduction from the site.

The Laptops4Students programme is an Irish student laptop initiative supported by Hewlett Packard, Intel, Microsoft, AMD and McAfee. The aim of the programme is to provide high specification, low-cost laptops to students and families in Ireland. We offer laptop bundles that include all software and accessories to meet the requirements of students going to college.
    Each laptop bundle includes over €500 of extras - Microsoft Office Professional 2013, 12 months McAfee Anti-virus, a Laptop Backpack, a handy 32gb memory key and a great 3 year warranty. Laptops4Students also offers excellent value standalone laptops and accessories without the extras. We work with colleges, schools and companies throughout Ireland to enable students and families access the latest computer technology at the best possible prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

cbreeze wrote: »
    You might check out this site,

http://www.laptops4students.ie/

Below is the introduction from the site.

The Laptops4Students programme is an Irish student laptop initiative supported by Hewlett Packard, Intel, Microsoft, AMD and McAfee. The aim of the programme is to provide high specification, low-cost laptops to students and families in Ireland. We offer laptop bundles that include all software and accessories to meet the requirements of students going to college.
    Each laptop bundle includes over €500 of extras - Microsoft Office Professional 2013, 12 months McAfee Anti-virus, a Laptop Backpack, a handy 32gb memory key and a great 3 year warranty. Laptops4Students also offers excellent value standalone laptops and accessories without the extras. We work with colleges, schools and companies throughout Ireland to enable students and families access the latest computer technology at the best possible prices.

Thanks but an i3, 500GB non SSD HDD for €700 doesn't strike me as being much of a bargin.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

I work in the 3rd level sector - and each year we get that promotion. As far as I can make out, its a scheme to off-load old stock at a high price to unsuspecting "parents". I've never seen good value on it.

Personally - I would not go less than an i5 or AMD equivalent - these are currently on sale in PC World for €600 - €700.

They have i3s for around the €500 - €600 mark.

iBood had an i7 yesterday and that may come around again - keep a look out

Despite this thread, I've found laptopsdirect.ie good moneywise, with a very good search filter to specify what hardware you need.

Advertisement