Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Loads of people giving out about it. I think it's brilliant! I'm really looking forward to seeing what the new series will bring. I might be shot for saying it, but personally I'm glad to see the back of Mel & Sue. I never found them the least bit funny or entertaining. Sue in particular made me want to switch off more than once.
    I see they've snuck something in at the end there that looks very like Paul Jagger's famous 'bread lion'. I still think that was one of the best things ever baked on the show. He was robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

The trailer has a real Noel Fielding vibe about it alright! Love the homage to the bread lion!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

• Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

1 week to go.

A nice reassuring article - 'Great British Bake Off': 9 Reasons Why You Have Nothing To Worry About And Everything To Look Forward To In The New Series

Seems like everything is still comfortably familiar. 3 challenges, diverse characters, hilarious hosts/judges and more innuendo than you can shake a stick at.

Really looking forward to this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

First look at this year's contestants.

https://twitter.com/BritishBakeOff/status/899903987704627200

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am looking forward to it , one of my favourite shows

Another very positive review of episode 1 on the Guardian.

Bake Off first-look review – exceedingly good, despite switch to Channel 4
    The new series loses the BBC’s worst bits while sticking to the winning recipe

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/aug/22/great-british-bake-off-channel-4-first-look-review-exceedingly-good-despite-switch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Sky + set! Really looking forward to it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Poochie05 wrote: »

Same love the show, so glad early reviews are highly positive. Will hate the fact there'll be ads to fast forward in it tho, but that's just a small complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I'm so excited for this! Gonna bake something nice before it starts :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

neonsofa wrote: »
    I'm so excited for this! Gonna bake something nice before it starts :)

I will happily judge your baked goods... and by judge I mean devour.

Loughc wrote: »
    I will happily judge your baked goods... and by judge I mean devour.

Lol its cute you think I'll leave any to devour :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I always have to have Battenburg hidden for Bake off . I just know I will crave it once they start baking .
    Anyone watching Nadyia new show ? I am really enjoying it and her .She is very ordinary !

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I've enjoyed - and recorded - Nadiya's British Food Adventure...or whatever it's called. :o

I've even ordered the book online - mostly, cookbooks I've bought have tended to be ornaments, once I tried one or two recipes, but Nadiya's recipes in her series are very do-able. No difficult techniques or dishes requiring lots of time and effort. I'm hopeful that this book will get a lot more use!

I saw the second episode of the Big Family Cooking Showdown on C4, which is co-presented by Nadiya and Zoe Ball. I enjoyed it - particularly liked seeing the two families' cook in their own homes. Again it was a show that was about good ordinary family cooking.

I love Nadiya on Twitter - she's a lovely person, witty and encouraging, and deals with a lot of nastiness from some trolls with amazing grace.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'm looking forward to this, have it pencilled in with the granny. Also, I've just realised that if I miss an episode I should be able to catch up on the More4 app which wasn't possible with BBC - yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Annani

Looking forward to seeing how the new presenters get on.

See you all at 8pm :)

I've got the vino on standby :D

I did up some fairy cakes in preparation, I had little hands helping me and a lot of stuff going on so it was back to basics for this week :pac:

I saw some nice looking chocolate lava puddings in Aldi the other day. I might pop in there later . . . . .

I saw some nice looking chocolate lava puddings in Aldi the other day. I might pop in there later . . . . .

Sure it's all in the presentation, place it on a fancy plate and serve with some cream and sure you practically made it yourself! :pac:

• Advertisement

neonsofa wrote: »
    Sure it's all in the presentation, place it on a fancy plate and serve with some cream and sure you practically made it yourself! :pac:

I've made the Rachel Allen ones myself before and they are divine, but the recipe makes six and you can't really halve it what with egg yolks and everything. Now given that there's only myself and himself in the house, three lava cakes each might be pushing it, lol.
    The Aldi ones are a twin pack which is a good excuse to buy them.
    Oh and thanks for reminding me about the cream! :P

I've made the Rachel Allen ones myself before and they are divine, but the recipe makes six and you can't really halve it what with egg yolks and everything. Now given that there's only myself and himself in the house, three lava cakes each might be pushing it, lol.
    The Aldi ones are a twin pack which is a good excuse to buy them.
    Oh and thanks for reminding me about the cream! :P

I'd be using that recipe as my excuse to over indulge tbh! No wonder I have more padding than I'd like! :pac:

Oh the cream is a necessity. I always put in a little icing sugar when whipping too cause im worth it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Poochie05 wrote: »

I did this too - and just realised Channel 4 isn't in HD! :mad: How am I supposed to see the detail of the cakes?! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I see they've snuck something in at the end there that looks very like Paul Jagger's famous 'bread lion'. I still think that was one of the best things ever baked on the show. He was robbed.

I loved the bread lion too but he wasn't robbed! He got a commendation which has never happened before and his performance in the other rounds was poor. Ian's flour power sculpture was fantastic too and he was just overall stronger across the episode.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I had forgotten that this is back this week and not next week - yipee!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I've seen Prue Leith on lots of shows and I do like her but I predict that she won't be anywhere near as popular as Mary Berry was. Berry was just so goddamn endearing. :D

I liked Mel and Sue and I think they were crucial to show, even if they weren't to everyone's taste. They had a big hand in the show avoiding the worst of the reality TV tropes. (sob stories, the camera lingering on contestants' anguish etc.) But I understand people not liking their brand of comedy and maybe Sandy and Noel will suit some better. I like Sandy a lot but I'm less sold on Noel. But no comic can please everyone though.

The main thing that has convinced me to give the C4 version a whirl is that they have lengthened the running time of the show to make up for the ads. I was afraid it was would be totally rushed. I shall be pausing the show at the start for about 15 minutes and then will fast forward through all the ad breaks.

I predict they will do a repeat of some of the classic rounds from the BBC series for the first episode.

Bring it on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

My wife made some of her fantastic raspberry and white chocolate scones today so I'm already full up and won't be hungry watching tonight's show.

Evening all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Annani

Here we go :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Good evening all. Lets get on with it.

Advertisement