Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

ShazGV wrote: »
    I wonder if Stacey could be in bother now with her showstopper?

I reckon it'll be between her & Kate to go this week.

Make that Stacey & Julia actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Why does "in the tin" matter so much?

A few disasters there!

Have to say, as much as I love pastry and savoury pies, those massive yokes are making me feel slightly ill.......

G'wan Liam!!! Star baker?????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Oh poor Sandi was so emotional for that.

Aw, feck's sake, they have me in tears here now :mad::mad:

But yayyyyy! for Liam!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Aw go Liam !! Delighted for him !
    Julia is 21 ?? I thought she was in her 30,s !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Was suprised that Julia went to be honest, thought it would be Stacy

leahyl wrote: »

Me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

leahyl wrote:

Oh yeah totally agree Stacey should have went.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I will miss Julia, so happy for liam though.
    Didnt get the outside of the tin though, why does it matter, it still looked the same

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Me too . Stacy struggled I thought

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Aw, so disappointed to see Julia gone instead of Stacey.
    Delighted for Liam though. His happy little face :D
    Yan was looking so smug when they were announcing star baker. She thought she had it in the bag. Have an awful feeling she's going to be in the final.
    From week one I picked Sophie as my winner and I still hope she does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Stacey had a good first round. Julia’s first round was so so and she came last in the technical. She seemed to have the worst show-stopper too. As soon as her showstopper was judged, I knew she was gone. Overall, Stacey was better across the episode, it would have been unfair for her to go. I think people are letting their dislike of Stacey cloud their judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Definitely thought it would be Stacey also this week. Delighted for Liam

Aaaww really wanted Stacey to go. I was delighted when she left the baking paper in the pie! (I'm horrible I know). Wasn't surprised when Julia went though. Felt bad for her. She seemed very nice.

I had no reason to worry about Liam after all. Delighted for him. His pie sounded delicious!

I was eating homemade pizza while I watched and my partner asked "have they ever made pizza on gbbo?" Ha looks like they are next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

So delighted for Liam! He's a cocky wee pup but he backs it up by being a natural baker with a great instinct for flavour combinations. I thought he was done when he said he was going to try making the hand raised pie the 'traditional way' but once again he rose to the challenge (no pun intended!).
    Sorry to see Julia go, she's very entertaining, but she had a bit of a bad week and the standard is pretty high already so I suppose all the decisions will be quite hard from here on in.
    I don't see Stacey lasting much longer in the competition - I don't dislike her particularly but she would be my least favourite of the remaining bakers, maybe because her style and way of working tend towards the messy and chaotic end of the scale. I don't think there was a whole lot between herself and Julia tonight but she's clearly the more experienced baker of the two. I think I read somewhere that Julia only started baking after she moved to England to get married, making her skill level all the more impressive.
    I warmed to Sophie a bit tonight watching her exchange with Noel about not showing emotion - she's unflappable and determined and although she comes off a bit cold, she's very skilled and accomplished.
    I'd say Kate will be next to go, followed by Stacey.
    I thought Julia would make it to the final.
    Yan is one to watch - Stephen has gone off the boil a bit, he looked like a dead cert for the final but I'd say Yan is edging him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Pru definitely has a soft spot for liam, shes been willing him to do well for a while.

Yan’s sciency stuff irritated me in this episode for some reason. Way too fiddly and didn’t actually give her great results in the signature bake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Hi All

Just joining the thread late - really enjoying series and the food I'm scoffing as I watch - profiteroles tonight but have a yen for making a pie ;-)

I was hoping Stacey would go tonight she's the only contestant who annoys me and she left paper in the pie -:O

Happy for Liam and sad for Julia she was quirky. I like Yan too and I think she has a chance of getting to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Oh yeah totally agree Stacey should have went.

Why?
    Over the 3 bakes Julia did worse than Stacey. It was a fairly straight forward decision. I got the impression Julia had accepted her fate, after the showstopper she said she was happy with the comments despite them being pretty damning of her baking, it gave the impression she knew it was time for her to go

siblers wrote: »
    Why?
    Over the 3 bakes Julia did worse than Stacey. It was a fairly straight forward decision. I got the impression Julia had accepted her fate, after the showstopper she said she was happy with the comments despite them being pretty damning of her baking, it gave the impression she knew it was time for her to go

Exactly, I 100% knew Julia would be the one to go once her showstopper was judged. It had to be her.

Like I said, people are letting their dislike of Stacey cloud their judgement here. She objectively fared better than Julia across the episode. It would have been really unfair if she went.

• Advertisement

I actually thought Sophie deserved star baker. She and Liam were on a par in the last round and she did better than him in the first round (her pies were very good AND she completed them ALL properly) and she also did well in the technical, finishing second. Liam meanwhile had no lamination in his pastels de nata! When all the judging was complete, I actually said to my OH “Aw no, Liam is going to get pipped this week too!”. Sophie as robbed in week two also, she should have three star baker wins by now by my reckoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I actually thought Sophie deserved star baker. She and Liam were on a par in the last round and she did better than him in the first round (her pies were very good AND she completed them all properly) and she also did well in the technical, finishing second. When all the judging was complete, I actually said to my OH “ Aw no, Liam is going to get pipped this week too!”.

She had raw pastry in her showstopper. They both had excellent signatures and she fared slightly better in the technical. Yan was the only one who could have taken it off him this week.

dee_mc wrote: »
    I warmed to Sophie a bit tonight watching her exchange with Noel about not showing emotion - she's unflappable and determined and although she comes off a bit cold, she's very skilled and accomplished

Same! I neither liked nor disliked her but I warmed to her a bit tonight as well.

I thought they were playing down Stephens bakes a little so it wouldn't look too much like he had it in the bag. I don't think that anymore. He seems to worry too much about aesthetics and not enough about taste.

She had raw pastry in her showstopper. They both had excellent signatures and she fared slightly better in the technical. Yan was the only one who could have taken it off him this week.

Sophie did better than Yan overall, whose signature was not that good.

Anyone else think that was a paraphrased reference to Radiohead from Yan this evening:

"It's look like the real thing, I hope it tastes like the real thing" or something like that! :)

EDIT, seems I wasn't alone:

https://twitter.com/Franklinsays/status/915299827013099521

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Aaaww really wanted Stacey to go. I was delighted when she left the baking paper in the pie! (I'm horrible I know).

I don't like Stacy either! She annoys me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

_Dara_ wrote: »

Sophie did better than Yan overall, whose signature was not that good.

The Showstopper is the most important of them. Sophie ****ed up by having raw pastry in it which is obviously a big no-no. Yan was clearly better than her this week.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I was only half watching because we had visitors so I was really surprised and disappointed to see Julia go, I really liked her. I'll have to watch the episode back to see the bits I missed, I barely saw the first two tasks!

• Advertisement

The Showstopper is the most important of them. Sophie ****ed up by having raw pastry in it which is obviously a big no-no. Yan was clearly better than her this week.

They are judged across the rounds, no one round is more important. Yan’s first was worse than Sophie’s third by a good bit. There has never been more importance weighted towards one round, that’s not how Bake Off works and never has been. I’ve been watching it for a long time.

Advertisement