Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

_Dara_ wrote: »
    The Showstopper is the most important of them. Sophie ****ed up by having raw pastry in it which is obviously a big no-no. Yan was clearly better than her this week.

They are judged across the rounds, no one round is more important. Yan’s first was worse than Sophie’s third by a good bit. There has never been more importance weighted towards one round, that’s not how Bake Off works and never has been. I’ve been watching it for a long time.

It doesn't matter how long you've been watching for - it's not really a very complex concept to follow like. The showstopper takes up half of every episode and they attend much more time baking it. It's clearly the most important of the lot.

Again, raw pastry in her showstopper. No chance of winning star baker with that. Yan was better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

It doesn't matter how long you've been watching for - it's not really a very complex concept to follow like. The showstopper takes up half of every episode and they attend much more time baking it. It's clearly the most important of the lot.

Again, raw pastry in her showstopper. No chance of winning star baker with that. Yan was better.

If that was the case, why did Paul not win for his bread lion, one of the best baked things Paul Hollywood had ever seen? And that’s just one example. An excellent showstopper often doesn’t win the day even with a decent first two rounds. It was ever thus.

If you have a good point, EagererBeaver, you shouldn’t need to resort to being condescending.

Overall Sophie pipped Yan. They were first and second in the technical. Sophie got a LOT of praise for the showstopper in spite of the raw pastry because there was so much right with it. Meanwhile, they were completely unenthusiastic about Yan’s signature bake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Yes, there was plenty right with it except for the key component of it not being correctly baked. They weren't completely unenthusiastic snot her signature at all. It didn't stand out, but it was grand. When they were chatting about it, from the get go they immediately said Liam and Yan were the two in the running for star baker, along with Sophie as an after thought.

Condescending? You're the one coming out with "I've watched it loads therefore I'm right" for Christ's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭threetrees

I liked Julia but it was between herself and Stacey to go. Personally I think Stacey's blunder leaving the paper inside the pie was such a fundamental error, she should have gone.

I was delighted to see Liam as Star Baker, well deserved. He's a nice kid, the others seem to like him too.

The technical is so tedious, who would be bothered making those things? I suppose that's the thing that makes it the "technical" challenge though. Total PITA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

siblers wrote:
    Why? Over the 3 bakes Julia did worse than Stacey. It was a fairly straight forward decision. I got the impression Julia had accepted her fate, after the showstopper she said she was happy with the comments despite them being pretty damning of her baking, it gave the impression she knew it was time for her to go

I actually liked Stacey so it wasn't personal. It was just I felt Julia has been better overall and had a bad week. Whereas I felt Stacey has had more than her fair share of disasters unfortunately. On balance I felt over the series that Julia had performed better. I hope I've answered your query.

• Advertisement

This is the last thread I expected to see an argument in! :D

I can't bake for sh!te but I've decided to bake something from this series to have during the final episode. So far Im swaying towards Liam's millionaire shortbread with the peanut butter. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Keep it friendly guys. :)

This is the last thread I expected to see an argument in!

Omg I've just realised I was a bit passive aggressive in my reply, I didn't mean to be I was asked a question and I felt I should reply but seriously this is GBBO I'm sure both I and the recipient meant no ill will. I still want the guy with the no flavour but fabulous star bakes to win just love him and his lisp.

Omg I've just realised I was a bit passive aggressive in my reply, I didn't mean to be I was asked a question and I felt I should reply but seriously this is GBBO I'm sure both I and the recipient meant no ill will. I still want the guy with the no flavour but fabulous star bakes to win just love him and his lisp.

Oh I wasn't actually talking about you. I was only being light-hearted anyways. Im sure no one meant any ill will.

Oh I wasn't actually talking about you. I was only being light-hearted anyways. Im sure no one meant any ill will.

Aw no problem I was more worried I offended you. Let's all just bake some lovely cupcakes.

• Advertisement

Yes, there was plenty right with it except for the key component of it not being correctly baked. They weren't completely unenthusiastic snot her signature at all. It didn't stand out, but it was grand. When they were chatting about it, from the get go they immediately said Liam and Yan were the two in the running for star baker, along with Sophie as an after thought.

Condescending? You're the one coming out with "I've watched it loads therefore I'm right" for Christ's sake.

The reason I said that is because there have been numerous episodes where the showstopper wasn’t the decider and I’ve watched a lot of them. It absolutely isn’t the main decider.

I actually liked Stacey so it wasn't personal. It was just I felt Julia has been better overall and had a bad week. Whereas I felt Stacey has had more than her fair share of disasters unfortunately. On balance I felt over the series that Julia had performed better. I hope I've answered your query.

Bake Off is always judged based on that week’s performance. The only time previous performance is considered is when there is dead heat between two contestants. One contestant being even slightly worse than another is enough for past performance to be disregarded. That’s why it’s not unusual to see a contestant go the very week after winning Star Baker.

Much has been made of Steven's decorating skills in this series but I'm as impressed with Yan in this regard. Her poppy in gelatine was amazing and she was really the only baker to make the steamed pudding last week look pretty, no mean feat. Her banana-ramen was amazing and her showstopper this week was too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Wow . Julia scrubs up well , she is beautiful !

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Wow . Julia scrubs up well , she is beautiful !

Doesn't she just!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

I loved Jo's multicoloured, but mostly orange, outfit. Went perfectly with her auburn (orange?) hair.

Mmmmmm.....Italian food......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I've never had cannoli but they always look so delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

ShazGV wrote: »
    I've never had cannoli but they always look so delicious!

Cake boss always has them,they look yummy

I've never even heard of canoli! (until 5 mins ago)

• Advertisement

I really wish Kate would tie her hair back :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I aways thought they were pasta, or is that a different thing

Jaysus, Prue has some death stare!

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    I aways thought they were pasta, or is that a different thing

That's canneloni! (of which I have heard) (and partaken)

Went into this episode thinking Sophie was going to get star baker again this week, but maybe not with the ricotta reveal :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Ahh thank you . Hangs head.in shame

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Noel wearing next year's Mayo jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Similar structure though! Yes??? :o

Oh I just love Noel. "I'll put a call in to the moon" :D

• Advertisement

ShazGV wrote: »
    Oh I just love Noel. "I'll put a call in to the moon" :D

I really, really wasn't impressed with him at first (like the canoli, never having heard of him) - but he's really grown into it and has grown on me bigtime!

Advertisement