Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hmm.... think Stephen has actually done worse than her this time....

Judging will be interesting!

Oh here we go.... getting their excuses in for keeping Stephen!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Best result .

Hmmmmmm.

The other thing that has occurred to me.....

What on earth must it cost to be a contestant on the show??? You'd need fecking sponsorship (Not to mention someone else to step in and make sure your dependents were fed something other than cake for the duration!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Missed it tonight,really not too bothered as I don't like watching it on Channel 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Is it my tv or has every contestant put on weight since the show started weeks ago

I remember James from series three saying he gained a lot of weight while participating in the show. I think it happens to a lot of contestants. I guess they are eating a lot of high calorie food with all the practicing they have to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

If Sophie doesn't make the final, I'm going home!

Yessssss!!!!! :D

Also, have never been so delighted to see the back of anyone in my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,714 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Wow...Steven was very lucky me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

I suppose if they had to look back at the other weeks then Stephen couldn't be booted out as I think he was better than Stacey. Can't believe kate made the final. Sophie to win now!

• Advertisement

Delighted Stacey is gone. I don't think Kate deserves to be in the final either though. Sophie is my winner now. She was so cool today even when her meringue broke. Staceys flapping about and frantically gnawing at her fingernails was unbearable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Delighted Stacey is gone. I don't think Kate deserves to be in the final either though. Sophie is my winner now. She was so cool today even when her meringue broke. Staceys flapping about and frantically gnawing at her fingernails was unbearable.

Stacey seemed to be accident-prone - through her own doing. Such as, she knocks the door off the oven and, today, she's banging down the tin on the table in order to knock out white chocolate moulds and knocks over her flamingo show-piece and actually cracks one of their necks.

Not behaviour of a winner!

Steven to win and Sophie 2nd! All depends on Steven's bolding his nerve.

Eyepatch wrote: »
    Stacey seemed to be accident-prone - through her own doing. Such as, she knocks the door off the oven and, today, she's banging down the tin on the table in order to knock out white chocolate moulds and knocks over her flamingo show-piece and actually cracks one of their necks.

Not behaviour of a winner!

Steven to win and Sophie 2nd! All depends on Steven's bolding his nerve.

I wouldn't mind seeing Stephen or Sophie win. I prefer Sophie as a person but I think Stephen is very talented. I imagine in a non competitive environment without the same pressure and time constraints, his baking is probably impeccable. Unfortunately for him this is a competition and I can see Sophie pipping him at the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭threetrees

I think it's pretty unfair that Steven stayed based on how he did in previous weeks. Suddenly they change the rules when they need to keep Steven in.

I wanted Liam to win. Any chance they can do a reverse elimination ?!? Actually. I think he was really missed tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Mixed feelings on this one. I wanted Stacey gone but I actually thought she did far better than Kate. Kate's rainbow was very basic, it was 7 lines of piped meringue and it was messy. Yeah the bases might have tasted good but there wasn't an awful lot to it. Whereas Stacey made 2 pretty cool flamingos and Paul calls it "simplistic" - did he not see the wonky rainbow moments earlier?!

Neither Kate nor Stacey deserves to be in the final. It should have been Liam. I'm very disillusioned with GBBO. I've actually no interest in the final. It's going to be Steven.

threetrees wrote: »
    I think it's pretty unfair that Steven stayed based on how he did in previous weeks. Suddenly they change the rules when they need to keep Steven in.

I wanted Liam to win. Any chance they can do a reverse elimination ?!? Actually. I think he was really missed tonight.

No, no rule change! It has always been the case that in a tie-break situation, past performance is then considered. I recall one other occasion where two contestants were on a par and they looked back on past performances: Nadiya and Alvin in 2015. Stacey and Stephen were also on a par. It’s totally fair in a situation like this to look to past performance to break the deadlock. If Stephen had been even a little bit worse than Stacey, he would have gone. Last week showed how ruthless they are about enforcing that rule. Can you honestly say Stacey was better than Stephen this week? Why would she deserve to stay over him?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

For a higher standard than other years finding it a bit meh!

I mentioned at the start of this series having almost semi pros takes totally from the nature of the show.

Last week thought STacey got star baker for being least worst!

This week - its merengue show stopper and Sophie's cracks badly, she patches it up they don't comment and focus on her opera cake! I know that was her dessert filling etc but come on, and it didn't have correct number of layers!

Sophie doesn't panic - army stress presumably being a lot more than a warm tent and a soggy bottom - but are her bakes strong enough to win.
    She seems to often be more aware/have previously heard of the technical bakes than the others.

Think Steven will "crumble " in the final pressure.

Kate - should have went earlier, but this week first in signature and Pru loved her showstopper and was in contention for star baker (Sophie had terrible signature, meringue cracked and imho looked poor so it was just her 1st in technical and opera cake) and on the week Kate should have got it, again as least worst.

They regularly compliment her (Kate's) bakes and flavours etc and has done amazing showstoppers (and saved herself) and is ok with pressure so can't be ruled out as a winner! (She does have a bit of snowflake generation of pack the bake in if it's not going well so needs not to throw the final)

I don’t get the whole “highest standard ever” thing. I think a lot of the contestants were quite weak this year. A lot of basic errors made by a lot of contestants. Off the top of my head, both 2012 and 2015 had much stronger contestants. 2015’s final featured Nadiya, Ian and Tamal. Wow!

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I don’t get the whole “highest standard ever” thing. I think a lot of the contestants were quite weak this year. A lot of basic errors made by a lot of contestants. Off the top of my head, both 2012 and 2015 had much stronger contestants. 2015’s final featured Nadiya, Ian and Tamal. Wow!
    I may have been asleep when "highest standard ever" was said - if it was said. What I remember hearing was spoken by Paul - that picking star baker and deciding who was to go was the hardest decision he's ever had to make since the start of the series. Understandable!

I may have been asleep when "highest standard ever" was said - if it was said. What I remember hearing was spoken by Paul - that picking star baker and deciding who was to go was the hardest decision he's ever had to make since the start of the series. Understandable!

Early in the series, many people were commenting on here and another message board I frequent about how much higher the standard was this year. I thought it was maybe better than year but certainly not the best of all time.

• Advertisement

Seems we got our lines crossed, Dara. I was refering to what was said in the last episode rather than comments from way back. Yes, at one stage, early on, it did seem like the satndard was going to be higher than ever, but sadly none of the show stoppers in the last episode, stood up to much and there were mistakes in the previous rounds, making the Judges' job of picking winner/evictee very difficult in this semi-final.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The final, for me, should really have been between Sophie, Stephen and Liam. I think Kate and Stacey had some really poor weeks and I'm surprised both made the semi finals.

I think Sophie and Stephen are by far the best of this years bunch and Liam was very talented with his flavouring and ideas and grew into the competition over time, I was hoping he'd make the final at least.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    The final, for me, should really have been between Sophie, Stephen and Liam. I think Kate and Stacey had some really poor weeksan dI'm surprised both made the semi finals.

I think Sophie and Stephen are by far the best of this years bunch and Liam was very talented with his flavouring and ideas and grew into the competition over time, I was hoping he'd make the final at least.

Liam’s week should have been the exeception to the judging rules.

It’s weird, I pegged Kate as an early finalist. But that was when she was doing well at the start. I forgot about my prediction because she has been in the doldrums for so long. I don’t feel one bit of joy at my prediction coming true. She shouldn’t be there. Not only would Liam be more deserving but so would other contestants who just had a bad week, such as Julia.

Seems we got our lines crossed, Dara. I was refering to what was said in the last episode rather than comments from way back. Yes, at one stage, early on, it did seem like the satndard was going to be higher than ever, but sadly none of the show stoppers in the last episode, stood up to much and there were mistakes in the previous rounds, making the Judges' job of picking winner/evictee very difficult in this semi-final.

I presumed when the poster I replied to talked about the standard being the highest ever, that they were talking about contestants as a whole, not the semi-finalists. That's why I talked about all the contestants and compared them to previous series'. There were no mention last night of the semi-finalists this year being the best ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Stacy is married to one of the cofounders of ASOS (I read it in the Daily Mail so it must be true)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

dee_mc wrote: »
    Stacy is married to one of the cofounders of ASOS (I read it in the Daily Mail so it must be true)

What has that got to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

davo2001 wrote: »
    What has that got to do with anything?

That was kind of my point Davo - DM felt the need to delve into her personal life and report the fact that she's married to a very wealthy man, as if that would make any difference to her baking ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

That was kind of my point Davo - DM felt the need to delve into her personal life and report the fact that she's married to a very wealthy man, as if that would make any difference to her baking ability.

Haha grand, that went over my head :P

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If I was very wealthy I'd stay at home and bake all day. So theoretically I'd probably be pretty good after a while! :p I'm also assuming she has a kitchen that's amazing and is basically stocked like Decobake...I would!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Neyite wrote: »
    If I was very wealthy I'd stay at home and bake all day. So theoretically I'd probably be pretty good after a while! :p I'm also assuming she has a kitchen that's amazing and is basically stocked like Decobake...I would!

She could also afford a hair brush and a few bobbins and clips so too !

Advertisement