Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

That was lovely! Loved the sandwich, that guy is so talented overall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Very good first show,but I still hate the ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Yeah, I kinda liked it too. Mel and Sue were better presenters but I can live with these two too.

Extra slice on Thursday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

I really like Prue Leith as a judge.

Baking, drugs, and orgies: Everything you need to know about Bake Off's Prue Leith

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/baking-drugs-orgies-everything-you-11077711

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Even with new presenters and Prue that was like putting on a familiar, soft, comforting pair of slippers. The direction was the same as always, the presenters not too intrusive or wanting to be the stars, and some of the showstoppers were awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Mr E wrote: »
    I really enjoyed that. Same old bake off. Didn't miss Mel, Sue or Mary.

I confess that I may watch it an alternative way next week so that I don't have to put up with ads. :o

Same for me the ying and yang that was missing with Mel and Sue is cleverly here with these new presenters. And Prue Leith is more than a match for Mary Berry with a slightly sterner persona.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Was anyone else disappointed they didn't have any cake to eat while watching it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Don't like noel or sandy in general but really enjoyed tonight. Looks set to be a good series.

On another note my hubbie and son have gone to the shops because they are starving:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Wow those showstoppers were amazing! Loved the ramen cake and the sandwich was stunning.
    So I enjoyed it, didn't think it was too different, but even shuttling through the ads was a pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Mr E wrote: »
    I really enjoyed that. Same old bake off. Didn't miss Mel, Sue or Mary.

I confess that I may watch it an alternative way next week so that I don't have to put up with ads. :o

I enjoyed it too and I like Noel. Never heard of him before tonight.

I don't mind the ads - gives me a chance to check the thread here on boards :o And actually I prefer the ads to those bits on the BBC where they talk about the history of the cake or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Overall that was enjoyable though I agree, the ads are a definite pain.
    Do we have any favourites/least favourites yet?
    I like Sophie, she seems quite calm and unflappable. Perhaps because of her day job. I like Kate too, the younger girl.
    No one I've taken a real dislike to, but not overly keen on Yan. She seems a small bit smug.
    I like Noel and Sandi and Prue does remind me very much of Mary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Pacifico wrote: »
    Great stuff! Much more enjoyable without Mel and Sue

I didn't particularly like Mel and Sue, but have to admit they were witty.

It'll take me some time to get used to the new presenters. Hope the guy pays a visit to the hairdresser / barber before next week. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Was anyone else disappointed they didn't have any cake to eat while watching it
    Tub of peanut butter did the trick here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Is it just me or is Yan the spit of Greg Wallace (of Masterchef) but just in female form?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Hello, completely forgot to post because I completely forgot that it started at 8 and not 9. Really enjoyed the first episode, it didn't seem too different or new which was nice. I kinda liked the ad breaks because I don't have record or pause facilities on my tv, so it was great for a tea / bathroom break.

The standard this year is already so high. I felt the last couple of years on the BBC version they had slipped a bit (in terms of the show stoppers designs). Couldn't believe how amazing so many of the cakes already look in week 1; the watermelon, the BLT and now I have a hankering for some pancakes.

I like Prue and I think she slipped in seamlessly. She wasn't too over powering but she wasn't meek. This used to wreck my head on the GIBO when Paul was super tough and measuring things with his ruler, his coutnerparts were loving all the bakers but giving no critique back.

Looking forward to next week.

Pru sounds like Mary. The other two are trying a bit too hard to be Mel and Sue. Hopefully they'll get over it before long!

Good first show. Ads a right pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I like Sophie, she seems quite calm and unflappable. Perhaps because of her day job. I like Kate too, the younger girl.
    No one I've taken a real dislike to, but not overly keen on Yan. She seems a small bit smug.

I like the guy who did the pancakes.
    One of the girls, the one who did the perfect rolls reminds me of candice from last year.
    Sandwich guy is amazing and very sweet.
    Poor blonde lady who messed up all hers, the black clutch bag- she was not having a good day.
    As you can tell, I'm not good with names when there is that many people! Love noel, always have always will, genuinely kind man and very playful

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

I love the woman who made the watermelon cake....she reminds me of Vera out of coronation Street.
    Really enjoyed it. I did record and fast forward through the ads and have 1.5 donuts while watching tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

neonsofa wrote: »
    As you can tell, I'm not good with names when there is that many people!

I had to write them all down with little descriptions so I'd remember who was who!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I liked it . It was familiar and though different I still will definitely tune in again
    I
    That sandwich and watermelon were amazing ! The standard is high this year I think . No soggy bottoms yet anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

iamwhoiam wrote:
    I liked it . It was familiar and though different I still will definitely tune in again I That sandwich and watermelon were amazing ! The standard is high this year I think . No soggy bottoms yet anyway

Just an exposed bottom!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Not finding the loss of Mel and Sue and Mary Berry too bad to be honest. The ads definitely take away something from the original relaxing vibe of GBBO though.

I didn't miss Mary Berry that much but I did pine a bit for Mel and Sue.

Liking Yan the best so far - banana ramen! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

The blonde lady who was having a bad day and made the (moist) black clutch reminds me a bit of Victoria Coren Mitchell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I liked it and am so glad they didnt change the formatt.
    I thought the standard of the illusion cakes was very high especially for week 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Overall that was enjoyable though I agree, the ads are a definite pain.

Didn't like Scottish bloke, though he seemed a bit smug. Was pretty unremarkable too. My hubs when he saw him: "He looks like a cunt". :o

I liked Yan, she gave me the only genuine LOL of the night with 'banana ramen'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Well that was lovely! All very familiar.
    I thought I'd hate Noel but I really like him, he has a fantastic rapport with the bakers and judges alike and comes across as kind and encouraging. I kind of thought he'd be a bit edgy and zany and attention-seeking/distracting based on what I've seen of him on panel shows, but even his voice seems different. He was actually a great choice IMO.
    Very, very high standard in the showstopper - those pancakes! the loaf and sandwich!
    Champagne lady seems a bit smug and painful at times but everyone else seems great.
    How did your man not figure out that he should whip his egg whites though?! The pressure of filming such a big show must be immense. I'm glad he got through to fight another week at least because to be sent home because of such a basic error would be very disheartening!

laylag wrote: »
    I love the woman who made the watermelon cake....she reminds me of Vera out of coronation Street.
    Really enjoyed it.

Thank you!!! I couldn't place who she was reminding me of! Vera!

I enjoyed it too. The sandwich was amazing. I really liked that guy.
    I didn't really like the blonde lady that made the moist clutch and wasn't crazy about the woman who made the rose cake either but maybe they'll grow on me.

I'm glad they stuck with the same format and setting. I like Noel a lot. He's a sweet guy. I think he'll be good at keeping the contestants calm when they start to panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Completely forgot that this was on, is it repeated again??

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Lemonposset

Just caught up on All4, the ads for the show were only 20 seconds long and honestly are hardly on before you're back watching the show.

Loved the familiarity. The bakes were amazing! I found myself grinning happily watching it so it's giving me the same feel as before. The star baker guy was so lovely. Overall I'm relieved and happy, did not imagine I'd be even watching it this time last year!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Eyepatch wrote: »
    I didn't particularly like Mel and Sue, but have to admit they were witty.

It'll take me some time to get used to the new presenters. Hope the guy pays a visit to the hairdresser / barber before next week. :rolleyes:

LOL, my gran must have mentioned about 3 times how she'd "love to cut his hair" said with disdain and disgust :D
    Pru sounds like Mary. The other two are trying a bit too hard to be Mel and Sue. Hopefully they'll get over it before long!

Good first show. Ads a right pain.
    Yes I think the other two were a bit stilted but hopefully will settle in after another episode or two. I am still unsure of Noel, thought he was an odd choice but he did alright last night :)
    I had to write them all down with little descriptions so I'd remember who was who!

Now THAT is dedication...I only finally learn their names when they've been whittled down to about 6, lol.

Advertisement