Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

_Dara_ wrote: »
    His bakes were always pretty dull though!

True enough but he was nice !

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Really enjoyed caramel week. Think it was a great challenge, plenty of scope to bake good cakes and be creative at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Aw, I like Kate but I thought Liam really deserved star baker tonight. I felt sorry for him, you could see how disappointed he was :(
    I still don't like Stacey and am hating Yan more and more as the weeks go on. I would LOVE to see her gone.
    I really like Noel, just so pleasant and not 'in your face' and loud like Mel and Sue were.
    I like James, but I don't think he'll last the pace. I can see him going in the next week or two.
    Also, I've never fancied Paul Hollywood before but he seems very ridey this series :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

Rfrip wrote: »
    Definatly, can't see him being the overall winner

I can. Think they are just knocking him back so it doesn't seem to be running away with it so early.

Guy Sajer wrote: »
    I can. Think they are just knocking him back so it doesn't seem to be running away with it so early.

I think he is more a decorator than a baker though .

• Advertisement

Aw, I like Kate but I thought Liam really deserved star baker tonight. I felt sorry for him, you could see how disappointed he was :(
    I still don't like Stacey and am hating Yan more and more as the weeks go on. I would LOVE to see her gone.
    I really like Noel, just so pleasant and not 'in your face' and loud like Mel and Sue were.
    I like James, but I don't think he'll last the pace. I can see him going in the next week or two.
    Also, I've never fancied Paul Hollywood before but he seems very ridey this series :D

He is also very orange this series !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I know he's very young but at this stage I'd love Liam to win it.

He just seems to have a real creative flair & willingness to try something a bit different, without going too far, as well as actually being able to bake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I think he is more a decorator than a baker though .

I don't know, all the breads in his handbag cake were well-made as well looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭threetrees

I really wanted Liam to get Star Baker, at least he got a handshake though!

Tom was the obvious choice to go.

Prue is 77. I think she looks great and has a great wardrobe stylist. She wears bright blocks of colour with bold glasses and chunky jewellery, seldom wears a pattern. She looks great! I am almost in awe of her and I am 30 years younger than her!

I was racking my brains to think how Kate did in the first two rounds. And how Liam did. It seemed like Liam did better across the episode to me but I can't quite remember. Kinda like how military lady seemed to do the best overall in week two.

They didn't give Paul star baker for the bread lion so why does a good showstopper with two mediocre rounds seem to be enough now? Also couldn't believe that Paul said that the bread handbag was better than Paul's lion. No feckin' way is it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jasnah

threetrees wrote: »
    Prue is 77.

What?????

Jasnah wrote: »
    What?????

Yeah, born in 1940! Looks great, agree with threetrees. And she's not trying to look young, she's simply trying to look stylish.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭goldlocks10

Think Liam may have deceived star baker. Really enjoy the show. No one got the tech right I was thinking the instruction must have been wrong. ......

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Lemonposset

This is the first week I've managed to watch it live and the ads were so awful, think I'll wait for All4 again.

Caramel week, so good! I could watch someone make that all day. Thought Tom was definitely a gonner this week, was outclassed every other week too. Liam is great but I think if the 2 professionals were looking for the recipe for Kate's cake it must have been too good not to reward with star baker. I mean, Pru said it was the best cake she'd had in her life, that is some cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Just bloody record it and watch it later where you can fast forward the ads. Some bunch of moaners on here.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Just bloody record it and watch it later where you can fast forward the ads. Some bunch of moaners on here.

Nah, there's one ad break too many. Four is taking the michael. Three would be fine but four is the tipping point into excessiveness, IMO. Not everyone can pause and fast forward. And on demand, you can't skip the ads.

Your post is incidentally the moaniest one on the whole thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Watched in on the channel 4 app on PlayStation, the ads are only ten seconds long each time. Result.

Anyway, Bake Off continues to be the best hour of TV each week. It’s so effortlessly charming. Noel is going from strength to strength (I love the Mighty Boosh so may be biased on that front). His quips are so delightfully Vince Noir-ish (“as you know, I’m part wasp” “it’s like pirates tears”). And Pru is absolutely wonderful. Just doesn’t give a sh1t. She’s amazing.

Think the time was right for Tom to go. I would guess Yan next week, or James.

If I were to take a stab at final three now I’d say Steve, Kate and Julia. Who would you have in your final three?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Why do you hate Yan? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

_Dara_ wrote:
    Nah, there's one ad break too many. Four is taking the michael. Three would be fine but four is the tipping point into excessiveness, IMO. Not everyone can pause and fast forward. And on demand, you can't skip the ads.

Agree. It's the last as break just before the final result....it's excessive!

siblers wrote: »
    Why do you hate Yan? :confused:

I don't know. There's just something about her I can't warm too. Sense of smugness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Cupra280

From week 1, I didn't like Yan, but I am fond of her now.

I also didn't like Stacey. I still don't.

I like everyone else, but am quite fond of Steven and Julia.

laylag wrote: »
    Agree. It's the last as break just before the final result....it's excessive!

Yes, that one is too much. There's only a few minutes left in the show once they come back!

The reason people are complaining the ads is that one of the joys of the Beeb version as the continuity. It added to the calm, serene air of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Cupra280

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Yes, that one is too much. There's only a few minutes left in the show once they come back!

The reason people are complaining the ads is that one of the joys of the Beeb version as the continuity. It added to the calm, serene air of the show.

I was out of the country for the first week, and didn't get to set the Sky box. I was able to get it on All4 On Demand, and it downloaded with no adverts.

As with every other show I watch, I don't watch it live. Everything is recorded, I've not watched an advert in years (unless one catches my eye like the singing dog for Flash!)

Cupra280 wrote: »
    I was out of the country for the first week, and didn't get to set the Sky box. I was able to get it on All4 On Demand, and it downloaded with no adverts.

As with every other show I watch, I don't watch it live. Everything is recorded, I've not watched an advert in years (unless one catches my eye like the singing dog for Flash!)

I watched one episode on 4od on my laptop and there as no option to skip ads for me.

I don't watch ads either. If I'm watching live, I'll pause it for about 15 minutes. But even with that, having to fast forward FOUR TIMES during the show is too much and it does take something away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭postsnthing

I'm far happier it's on ch4 no Mel and Sue and way easier to catch up if I miss an episode with 4od. Noel is very fast with his quips "you can't send a snail home". Great season of bake off !

I overall still prefer Mel and Sue, I think. Mary Berry is who I miss the least actually. Nobody seems to be mourning her loss which I didn't expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

I feel disloyal saying it's not as bad on C4 as I was expecting, I'm actually enjoying it, once you watch later and lose the ads.
    I miss Mary and Paul's interaction, which was quite sweet and motherly, it's not the same with Prue, she's more direct than Mary. I think Noel is actually quite good, he has a lovely speaking voice for narration which is unexpected, but disappointed with Sandi as she can be far more acerbic on other programmes but presume they're both finding their feet and don't have the long term partnership that Mel and Sue did. Don't really miss the 3 which I never thought I'd say, they've worked v hard to keep it as identical as possible.

Stacy really annoying me, same as Candice did last year with her pouting. She's the one contestant that seems v aware they're on TV and playing to it. Always looks frazzled as if to say "'I'm a busy mother, always cooking and haven't the time for myself yada yada " Steven has a bit of playing to the camera too, talking directly to the Queen!

Every time I saw Flo I thought Corrie was breaking through, wonder is she a distant relation to Vera, they were so alike, it was freaky!

I am wondering why Yan is always wearing blue gloves while cooking, wonder does she have a skin condition or is she trying to show off her scientific background indirectly?

Don't really have a favourite yet, another few weeks will tell. Liam prob too young to win overall, not enough experience, in a few years would be a diff story. Really like him, so natural and enthusiastic.

NutmegGirl wrote: »

Stacy really annoying me, same as Candice did last year with her pouting. She's the one contestant that seems v aware they're on TV and playing to it. Always looks frazzled as if to say "'I'm a busy mother, always cooking and haven't the time for myself yada yada "

Agree completely. I'm sick of listening to Stacey's "Oh I'm a Mummy" monologue. She just goes on and on about it constantly. To tell the truth I honestly couldn't even tell you whether or not any of the other contestants even HAVE children! I think I may have seen James with kids in a clip, but that's it.
    Stacey reminds me of Jo who won one of the early series (2 I think?) and spent the entire series going "I've never done anything for me, I was only ever a wife and a mum"

Is anyone watching extra slice? That cherish or whatever her name is, is an awful cow! It's an unwritten rule to be nice to the person who left that week when they re do their bake. Talk about kicking a man when he's down.

• Advertisement

Stacey reminds me of Jo who won one of the early series (2 I think?) and spent the entire series going "I've never done anything for me, I was only ever a wife and a mum"

Nadiya had that going on a bit too.

Advertisement