Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lidl stores for Drumcondra and Grangegorman

• 03-08-2017 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭

Article in today's Irish Independent says that new stores will open next year in Drumcondra and Grangegorman.  I'm surprised that one would open so soon in Grangegorman considering one just opened not too far away by Hanlon's Corner only last month.  I have to say the  interiors of the new style Lidl stores are way more attractive looking than the previous versions when they first opened in Ireland.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/lidl-boss-targets-200-irish-shops-in-700m-expansion-35994450.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

In Drumcondra I think it's going in across from the Flye Fit, Dominos and Ivy House? Is that correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

All I want now is an aldi in D7.
    Having Lidl on my doorstep saves me an hour every week.

Edited to fix typo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭BowWow

Portmarnock opened this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Drumcondra is going in at the tyre place beside the skylon afaik. It can only add hugely to the chaos that is Drumcondra traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

Yeah they're closing the Nest creche and the garage to build the LIDL. It was a bit of a shock to all parents of kids in the creche (Myself included) when they announced the creche will be closing with basically no notice. Traffic will be absolutely crazy if it goes ahead - it's terrible at the minute but I can only imagine what it will be like with a LIDL there. Very handy for people in the area in fairness and good competition for Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Lidl seems to be following the inexplicable Starbucks model of overpopulation, that is, having a whole bunch of competing Lidls within easy walking distance of eachother. People living around Glenageary / Sallynoggin for instance now have a Lidl right on their doorstep, but for years before this there were already two others mere minutes apart - Pottery Road and Deansgrange.

Not really sure how it makes sense as a business model given how one would expect customers to be diluted between nearby stores while each one added to rent, electricity and staff costs, but sure it obviously works for them or they wouldn't keep doing it...

I really don't think Lidl are opening stores for the crack. They've to build from scratch, fit them out with fairly heavily, staff them etc. Starbucks are in comparison basically a rented store, coffee machine, few seat minimimal fit out and a few staff. Plus there products give massive returns.

Hopefully. DCC, have them install traffic lights and a decent car park to mitigate traffic issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭neris

i thought when the creche in drumcondra said it was closing coz of a lidl opening, lidl came out and said they werent opening on that site

they had planning refused a few years back to build on a site in Baldoyle and dont seem to have done anything about it since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

The one thing that part of Drumcondra doesn't need is another set of traffic lights 3 sets within 20 meters of each other is a joke as it is.

The Duk wrote: »
    The one thing that part of Drumcondra doesn't need is another set of traffic lights 3 sets within 20 meters of each other is a joke as it is.

If you think that's a joke, the mayhem that it will be without a set in and out. Convert a set over to a full junction set, the one out side Dominos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

TallGlass wrote:
    If you think that's a joke, the mayhem that it will be without a set in and out. Convert a set over to a full junction set, the one out side Dominos.

I'd agree with that but do we really need 4 pedestrian crossings so close together

The Duk wrote: »
    I'd agree with that but do we really need 4 pedestrian crossings so close together

I doubt it. But you'll need a set outside the Lidl so if they changed one over to a junction set from my viewing of the Aldi at Ballymun it's a disaster, Artane isn't to far behind but just manages as the pedestrian lights are busy and go red to let traffic flow out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

Any word on the Lidl in Drumcondra? I think its going to be a disaster for traffic but the closed, boarded up Crèche and garage are certainly not adding much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Passed the Grangegorman one a couple of days back and it was open. But does it have any parking? I couldnt see any but didnt get a good look. Was surprised to see it there tbh but Id say it will do really well with people from Smithfield and all along the north of the river.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Passed the Grangegorman one a couple of days back and it was open. But does it have any parking? I couldnt see any but didnt get a good look. Was surprised to see it there tbh but Id say it will do really well with people from Smithfield and all along the north of the river.

Don't know about parking but the store itself is massive, biggest Lidl I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Where in Grange gorman?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

In Brunswick st but calling itself grangegorman. It’s lovely

Advertisement