Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of replacing a shower pull cord

Options
  • 03-08-2017 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I need to get a shower pull cord replaced in my bathroom. Does anyone know what the going rate is? I was quoted €125 earlier, is that a bit steep?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Is it just the cord that needs to be replaced of does a part of the fixing need to be replaced too?

ceekay74 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I need to get a shower pull cord replaced in my bathroom. Does anyone know what the going rate is? I was quoted €125 earlier, is that a bit steep?

Thanks in advance.

The job its self is a couple of minutes, so its really call out fee plus materials. 125 sounds like the going rate for something like this.

No chance you can do it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Depends on the cost of the switch. If it's €15, expect to replace it within a year. If it's a good make, then that's different. Still though, it's on the higher side of things. It's a 5 min job for a competent sparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Is it just the cord that needs to be replaced of does a part of the fixing need to be replaced too?

I don't know to be honest, when I pull the cord, nothing happens. I assumed the whole thing needs replacing.

It's one of these type...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amp-Pull-Cord-Switch-Neon/dp/B008YFVA8O

No chance you can do it yourself?

:pac: No.

It's in an awkward place & I'm cautious when it comes to electricity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

I don't know to be honest, when I pull the cord, nothing happens. I assumed the whole thing needs replacing.

It's one of these type...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amp-Pull-Cord-Switch-Neon/dp/B008YFVA8O

I'm really sorry if this is a stupid request, but have you checked your fuse box to see if the bathroom has tripped?

me_irl wrote: »
    I'm really sorry if this is a stupid request, but have you checked your fuse box to see if the bathroom has tripped?

Not stupid at all, yes I did check.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

:pac: No.

It's in an awkward place & I'm cautious when it comes to electricity.

Based on this I would say the 125 is good value for not frying yourself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It's a 5 min job for a competent sparks.
    It's not necessarily. Often the cables are short (or the cores have been burnt out and need to be cut shorter), or some balloon has tiled around the switch. I would suggest that it is almost never a 5 minute job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Imallrightjack

Risteard81 wrote: »
    It's not necessarily. Often the cables are short (or the cores have been burnt out and need to be cut shorter), or some balloon has tailed around the switch. I would suggest that it is almost never a 5 minute job.

Just for those who are interested ( me :) ) could you explain what you mean by " some balloon has tailed around the switch." ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It's not necessarily. Often the cables are short (or the cores have been burnt out and need to be cut shorter), or some balloon has tailed around the switch. I would suggest that it is almost never a 5 minute job.

Just for those who are interested ( me :) ) could you explain what you mean by " some balloon has tailed around the switch." ?
    My apologies! Must have been autocorrect or something. What I intended to write was "some balloon has TILED around the switch"!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

All tradesmen set their own prices. Ring around and get 3 quotes. Tell them to price for a hager 50amp or another good quality pull cord. The bog standard one is 9 euro in the suppliers but it is a rubbish quality.
    A good quality pull cord is 15 to 20 euro in suppliers. Add a call out fee & it should bring you to around 100 euro.
    Having said all of that I'd rather pay the 125 euro for a good quality REC. For 125 I'd expect the shower and rcbo fully tested too

Edit : I believe that this job needs to be certified under current legislation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It's a 5 min job for a competent sparks.

I bet ye wouldnt do 12 of them in an hour if they were beside each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It's not necessarily. Often the cables are short (or the cores have been burnt out and need to be cut shorter), or some balloon has tiled around the switch. I would suggest that it is almost never a 5 minute job.

Yes more often than not, they are awkward to change, often involving fixing others 5 minute job.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Bruthal wrote:
    Yes more often than not, they are awkward to change, often involving fixing others 5 minute job.

Agree.
    Sometimes I have to replace the pull cord switch when replacing the shower. I'm often quicker swapping the shower than the pull cord.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Ok, so it may be more involved than hoped and it is a call out so €125 seems reasonable. I think the OP's question has been answered.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement