Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pear Tree?

Options
  • 03-08-2017 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Ok, I have a little orchid in garden, have a plum tree and apple tree. Also this large tree. Was never sure what it was but I think it is Pear tree, or mini Pear tree? anyone know

The "pear" is tiny. I should really take a comparison picture

Also wondering, as you can see it is quite tall, should I prune it down?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Pear tree alright. It's not too tiny and is pretty healthy looking. Pears ripen later than apples generally and won't reach full size for a while yet.
    The tree itself though is a different matter. Looks lopsided and very sparse for a tree of that height. Has it been "pruned" etc at some stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looks like a conference pear, mine are about the same size at this time of year, will be another month or two before they are ready for picking.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

lottpaul wrote: »
    Pear tree alright. It's not too tiny and is pretty healthy looking. Pears ripen later than apples generally and won't reach full size for a while yet.
    The tree itself though is a different matter. Looks lopsided and very sparse for a tree of that height. Has it been "pruned" etc at some stage?

I found it in the middle of leylandii. You couldn't even see it till it was all cut back, I actually thought it was dead. I left it to see if it would come back to life

Only seeing now the pear's on it....

Question is should it really be that high or should I trim it back down? Or just leave it for a few years and see if it will grow out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    I found it in the middle of leylandii. You couldn't even see it till it was all cut back, I actually thought it was dead. I left it to see if it would come back to life

Only seeing now the pear's on it....

Question is should it really be that high or should I trim it back down? Or just leave it for a few years and see if it will grow out

Much depends on the condition of the tree. It has been under a lot of stress and needs time to regrow. You could lower the height a little - this will prevent it rocking in the wind, and kill/remove any grass or weeds from the base of the tree. It's best to do this either by weedkiller or covering the grass with membrane/cardboard etc. Don't dig and remove the turf as this may damage the roots. Otherwise it just needs a bit of a feed and tlc. A quick google will give you plenty of tips and hints.

I had a similar problem with an apple tree that had been over run and I mean overrun by a Griselinia hedge, near 20ft high m. The poor apple tree was smothered by it.

What I did was cut down the taller pieces of hedge and cut the hedge around the apple tree giving it plenty of light and room to grow.
    I then did NOTHING for the next year, just allowing it time to adjust and recover. Last October/November I pruned the apple tree back, cutting away any dead branches and cutting it back about a foot on all branches.
    This year you wouldn't believe the blossom on it earlier and now it is laiden with fruit. Looking forward to picking them and handing them over to her good self to make apple tart!!!! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement