Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neymar Deal: The Clusterfúck

• 03-08-2017 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

If PSG are trying to get Neymar to buy out his contract himself I don't blame La Liga for turning it down. The club should pay it not the player. The time has come to do things normal for a change with him & Barcelona.
    Wasn't right when Vitolo did it & it's not right here either.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ERG89 wrote: »
    If PSG are trying to get Neymar to buy out his contract himself I don't blame La Liga for turning it down. The club should pay it not the player. The time has come to do things normal for a change with him & Barcelona.
    Wasn't right when Vitolo did it & it's not right here either.

Did Herrera not buy his contact out when he moved to United?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Jayop wrote: »

Barca are 4/1 favourites followed by Madrid and Bayern. PSG are 10/1.

This means nothing, its based on lads like yourself having a flutter based on nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

It would be hilarious if the Neymar transfer didn't go through. But it likely will, in the end, money talks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Did Herrera not buy his contact out when he moved to United?

They did and I'm pretty sure that's the way the work, i.e. The player pays the release clause but they are given the money from the "buying" club, the problem is that once they lodge the money into the players account the player is liable to pay tax on that. PSG might be trying to bypass that and pay it themselves and that's why it was rejected

Edit: the same happened with Javi Martinez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

irishman86 wrote: »
    Just this, Id say as of right now PSG are more likely to win it than Barcelona. For me they are a better team, Barcelona second leg over shadowed a lot of good work by PSG and even still needed a few dodgy calls to get that victory

The first leg performance by Barcelona was probably their worst away performance of the season though ,they were terrible.
    They beat Real Madrid at the Bernabeu not long after and would have won the league had they not thrown away points at lower table opposition.

If they can sort out their away form and sign a few decent players with the Neymar money ,they will be a force to be reckoned with again.
    No summer football should mean players like Iniesta ,Busquets ,and Messi should be fresher next season.

PSG have shot their load on Neymar and they will likely have to sell off a good few players to balance the books .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

sligeach wrote: »
    It would be hilarious if the Neymar transfer didn't go through.

If only for the reassessment of the "judas" remarks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

POKERKING wrote:
    The source of Citys owners money is dodgy?

As I said its just as dodgy as PSG's. You can't claim one is legit and the other not.

Both teams have makey upy sponsorship deals from associates of the owners of the respective clubs, to legitimize their turnover. It's perfectly within their right to do so but neither team generate that money independent of who owns them.

Therefore PSG's money is just as dodgy as City's.

I personally don't care if a team wants to throw billions at a club. United proved it doesn't even guarantee top 4. Leicester won their title with little investment.

City eventually won a title after throwing a billion quid at their side. You telling me they generated that billion quid independent of who their owners are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

astradave wrote: »
    They did and I'm pretty sure that's the way the work, i.e. The player pays the release clause but they are given the money from the "buying" club, the problem is that once they lodge the money into the players account the player is liable to pay tax on that. PSG might be trying to bypass that and pay it themselves and that's why it was rejected

Edit: the same happened with Javi Martinez

They've removed the tax liability this season

The process hasn't changed in that the player buys it out themselves by depositing the money with LaLiga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Mr.H wrote: »
    As I said its just as dodgy as PSG's. You can't claim one is legit and the other not.

Both teams have makey upy sponsorship deals from associates of the owners of the respective clubs, to legitimize their turnover. It's perfectly within their right to do so but neither team generate that money independent of who owns them.

Therefore PSG's money is just as dodgy as City's.

I personally don't care if a team wants to throw billions at a club. United proved it doesn't even guarantee top 4. Leicester won their title with little investment.

City eventually won a title after throwing a billion quid at their side. You telling me they generated that billion quid independent of who their owners are?

Citys accounts are available online

wally79 wrote: »
    They've removed the tax liability this season

The process hasn't changed in that the player buys it out themselves by depositing the money with LaLiga

I had believed that regarding the tax and I remember reading a Sports Witness article on it but I have heard conflicting reports lately, especially throughout this saga.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

So are PSG's.

If only being online made something legitimate :pac::pac:

And your point is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if this doesn't go through, then there are a lot of transfers that should be reversed.

FFP shouldn't just apply because it's a big figure. it applies across the board or it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

And your point is?

City are way ahead of everyone, they upload their accounts online whereas other club still maintain ledgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

And your point is?

1349175870632_8878741.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

SlickRic wrote: »
    if this doesn't go through, then there are a lot of transfers that should be reversed.

FFP shouldn't just apply because it's a big figure. it applies across the board or it doesn't.
    The fact that this one involves a fee of 0 on PSG's financials and a country financing it makes it very different from any previous transfers. Other sponsorship deals should be looked into but as far as I'm aware this transfer is a one of a kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

AdamD wrote: »
    The fact that this one involves a fee of 0 on PSG's financials and a country financing it makes it very different from any previous transfers. Other sponsorship deals should be looked into but as far as I'm aware this transfer is a one of a kind.

Where have you seen that? Any reliable source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Just saw Suarez posting a fairly classy farewell to Neymar.

I wonder will Messi and Suarez be viewed as traitors aswell for giving the traitor Neymar a farewell.

Surely Messi and Suarez should be consoling Presidente Pique after Neymar betrayed them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

That's just a rumor, PSG have lot of players to sell and balance the books.

Neymar is paying his contract off out of his own money. PSG will give him a signing on bonus to cover this. The money PSG give Neymar will appear on their accounts.

• Advertisement

Neymar is paying his contract off out of his own money. PSG will give him a signing on bonus to cover this. The money PSG give Neymar will appear on their accounts.

No he's not. They will give him the money before hand. Even Neymar doesn't have e222m sitting in his bank account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Its being reported that Qatar will be giving Neymar the money as an 'ambassador' for the world cup, thus it won't be appearing in PSG's accounts.

Giggsy11 wrote:
    City are way ahead of everyone, they upload their accounts online whereas other club still maintain ledgers.

Most clubs upload their accounts online....... but that has Jack to do with where they get their cash

Lukker- wrote: »
    No he's not. They will give him the money before hand. Even Neymar doesn't have e222m sitting in his bank account.

Neymar is getting 200m from Quatar for sponsorship of the world cup. He's going to use that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I don't understand how La Liga can stop this? Can someone explain to me please?

Neymar has a contract with Barca. It has a clause that nullifies the contract if a payment of €222m is paid to Barca.

Why does it matter who/what/where that €222 comes from? The money is paid and the contract is voided/cancelled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Lol, what a clusterfúck. This is basically La Liga not liking anyone being able to poach one of their top players, saying it's not fair and putting their fingers in their ears and refusing to deal with them. Morons.

Since when do they decide what is and is not in breach of a UEFA regulation?

Neymar is getting 200m from Quatar for sponsorship of the world cup. He's going to use that money.

That's not his money though. He couldn't just accept that 'sponsorship' money now and than decide to stay at Barcelona? He could if it was his money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

What sanctions could they apply to the player or the club both of whom presumably would not be within their jurisdiction?
    Only thing I can see is they could write a strongly worded letter to FIFA/UEFA and see what happens.

Its being reported that Qatar will be giving Neymar the money as an 'ambassador' for the world cup, thus it won't be appearing in PSG's accounts.

Its making a bit more sense now so.
    Obviously Qatar could be afraid of being stripped of the 2022 World Cup with all the turmoil at Fifa so they are trying to influence things.
    No doubt they have handed out shedloads of suitcases full of cash to try and buy votes and the backing of high profile figures.
    Its all very shady .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Why is that a problem? What bad effect could that have on football? PSG stay on the right side of FFP, Barca get their money, Neymar gets his transfer. Everyone's a winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

oh the irony of La Liga saying that PSG is a state backed club when La Liga's own most successful club is Real Madrid :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Seeing as Barca are apparently the physical manifestation of an independent Catalonia, surely this can be viewed as an inter-state financial transaction:rolleyes:

So Barca obviously putting pressure on LaLiga offices to reject it, is that not a breach in contract by both Barca and LaLiga who I think are a party in the contract. What is stopping Neymar from rocking up in Paris and also breaching his contract by training with his new teammates

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I don't understand how La Liga can stop this? Can someone explain to me please?

Neymar has a contract with Barca. It has a clause that nullifies the contract if a payment of €222m is paid to Barca.

Why does it matter who/what/where that €222 comes from? The money is paid and the contract is voided/cancelled?

Because La Liga say the money is dirty money .

Speaking earlier this week, La Liga president Javier Tebas had accused PSG of "financial doping" and said that he would not be willing to accept their payment for Neymar.

"No, we will not accept this money from a club like PSG who, without being part of La Liga, want to use one of the rights of our organisation, especially as the club are infringing on UEFA regulations, financial fair play and EU laws," Tebas said. "It would not make sense to accept this payment. If PSG come with the money for Neymar's clause we will not accept it."

In addition, Tebas said he was preparing a complaint against the French club to be presented to UEFA and the European Union for what he feels are clear breaches of the game's financial fair play (FFP) regulations.

Last week, Barcelona sources also told ESPN FC that the club would put pressure on UEFA to investigate how PSG are financing their Neymar move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

So it seems that La Liga President doubts the origin of the money. They can't prove it's 'dirty', so I fail to see how "I don't believe you" will hold up in court, for example.

• Advertisement

Because La Liga say the money is dirty money .

Speaking earlier this week, La Liga president Javier Tebas had accused PSG of "financial doping" and said that he would not be willing to accept their payment for Neymar.

"No, we will not accept this money from a club like PSG who, without being part of La Liga, want to use one of the rights of our organisation, especially as the club are infringing on UEFA regulations, financial fair play and EU laws," Tebas said. "It would not make sense to accept this payment. If PSG come with the money for Neymar's clause we will not accept it."

In addition, Tebas said he was preparing a complaint against the French club to be presented to UEFA and the European Union for what he feels are clear breaches of the game's financial fair play (FFP) regulations.

Last week, Barcelona sources also told ESPN FC that the club would put pressure on UEFA to investigate how PSG are financing their Neymar move.

While he can complain all he wants, LaLiga has a legal obligation to honour the contracts and it shouldn't matter where the money comes from. If that was the case why did they not investigate the many other release clause transfers. And ask for proof that the money lodged did not come from "illegal" sources

MagicIRL wrote: »
    So it seems that La Liga President doubts the origin of the money. They can't prove it's 'dirty', so I fail to see how "I don't believe you" will hold up in court, for example.

I think it's just a case of "we know it's going to happen, but we want to kick up as much fuss as possible to show support to Barca"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

astradave wrote: »
    LaLiga has a legal obligation to honour the contracts and it shouldn't matter where the money comes from.

Actually it does. Only Spanish football clubs or else the player themselves have the legal right to activate the release clause under their current regulations.

Legally speaking, if Neymar were found to be accepting money from another club before he's signed for them (as would most likely be required for him to buy out the contract) he could be in breach of contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It's quite obvious what their problem is.

Because of the laws in Spain regarding contracts, paying money to players in bogus deals like this gives clubs outside Spain the ability to sign their players unilaterally, thus diminishing the league.

In the past, this was limited by the fact that clubs were never going to be able to finance those kinds of deals often enough for the best players.
    Now, with the amount of liquid wealth an Emirate might have, or perhaps just an incredibly wealthy company or individual, it makes it possible for even their brightest stars to be taken from under their noses.

Short of Spain removing the law I can't really see any way around it though. I can't imagine that La Liga have a leg to stand on.

I'm not sure are there legal limits on the size of the release clause, related to the value of the player or of the contract. Otherwise clubs could just make the clauses all be for €1B or €10B and then even if they wanted one of their players the club would be sorted financially for 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'd imagine La Liga haven't got a foot to stand on here however if the other rumor is true, it is baffling that PSG thought they could drop a 500 million package on one player and not have some creative accounting to go with it, stupidity if they thought they could get away with this not being on their books. I mean at least sell a few players and make up a few shell companies in Qatar to pay for '"advertising" like other clubs do.

• Advertisement

Actually it does. Only Spanish football clubs or else the player themselves have the legal right to activate the release clause under their current regulations.

Legally speaking, if Neymar were found to be accepting money from another club before he's signed for them (as would most likely be required for him to buy out the contract) he could be in breach of contract.

Fair enough in the legal sense.

But then every single foreign club release clause purchase should be refused, they can't expect to have one rule for everyone else and another for PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lawyers headed to Barcelona to deal with them directly.
    Imagine a top Banker moving from Spain to Paris for a new megabucks job and their version of the central bank saying no,this is the same. Neymar has a buyout clause,its being met and now La Liga are trying to block it.I'm sure there's some breach of employment law there somewhere.

They should have placed a billion buy out clause on him. Bunch of amateurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Neymar playing for Barcelona again is not an option. He doesn't want to be at the club. No Barca fan supports a player who doesn't want to be at the club and who has behaved as Neymar has done. He would be destroyed by the fans.

Is this Neymar transfer the biggest in sporting history or have their been bigger in US sports ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

A friend of mine from seville thinks Tebas trying to block the transfer is all a tactic to try and help madrid. Tebas according to him is a madrid fan and knows that the transfer is going to go through, he is just trying to slow it down so barca dont get a replacement in before the spanish super cup or until very late in the transfer window where they will pay even more money. What do ye think?bull****?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

A friend of mine from seville thinks Tebas trying to block the transfer is all a tactic to try and help madrid. Tebas according to him is a madrid fan and knows that the transfer is going to go through, he is just trying to slow it down so barca dont get a replacement in before the spanish super cup or until very late in the transfer window where they will pay even more money. What do ye think?bull****?

I'd say that's bull****, otherwise Spanish football has a lot of problems.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

As a "neutral" (I support a LOI team) this transfer window has been incredibly entertaining.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is this Neymar transfer the biggest in sporting history or have their been bigger in US sports ?

It's hard to make comparisons due to contract duration, length of season in games etc. but I think this is the biggest outside the weird world's of F1 and boxing

Stephen Curry
    Golden State Warriors
    Basketball
    5 years (2017–2022)
    Duration $201,200,000
    Per Season $40,200,000
    per game $490,243.90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Biggest in history, American sports doesnt have transfer fees

• Advertisement
Advertisement