Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neymar Deal: The Clusterfúck

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

It's hard to make comparisons due to contract duration, length of season in games etc. but I think this is the biggest outside the weird world's of F1 and boxing

Stephen Curry
    Golden State Warriors
    Basketball
    5 years (2017–2022)
    Duration $201,200,000
    Per Season $40,200,000
    per game $490,243.90

Steph wasnt transferred, GS drafted him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I have 2 problems with this:

It's most likely a breach of FFP. Lots of clubs are busting their asses to adhere to it. It either is enforced or it's scrapped. I wouldn't even mind if there was a provision for clubs being allowed to spend their owners money, but currently that provision isn't there so a breach should be a breach. Lots of clubs have been fined large sums for smaller violations, I don't want PSG overlooked because they are a powerful club.

These massive transfer fees from outside investment are driving the price of football up exponentially. That puts the game even further out of reach of the average Joe. If you are happy with the direction football is going, keep tuning in and paying for subscriptions and tickets. Leagues are more concerned with going after people who no longer have the means to watch football rather than making it accessible. If you don't think these exorbitant transfer fee costs won't get passed on eventually to the every day fan, you are sorely mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I'm starting to think footie could do with a better system. It's madness. Though the Draft is so alien I think we'd all faint with shock and agents would of course self combust they've had it so easy.

Honestly, it would be great. Too communist to ever be implemented, agents would have their players go on strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Lukker- wrote: »
    Honestly, it would be great. Too communist to ever be implemented, agents would have their players go on strike.

Its funny how its implemented in the worlds most capitalist country. It should come in, i bet there are teams in ligue 1 who cant even pay one million for a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

How is it a breach of FFP if PSG are never involved? This is glorious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's funny how Barcelona all of a sudden have an issue with Qatari money, isn't it?

1477773424_125979_1477775280_sumario_normal.jpg

SlickRic wrote: »
    it's funny how Barcelona all of a sudden have an issue with Qatari money, isn't it?

This is such an overload of justice. Can hardly contain myself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Also few of their legends also did ambassadorial role for World cup bid. Wasn't Pep one of their supporter?

I'd imagine La Liga haven't got a foot to stand on here however if the other rumor is true, it is baffling that PSG thought they could drop a 500 million package on one player and not have some creative accounting to go with it, stupidity if they thought they could get away with this not being on their books. I mean at least sell a few players and make up a few shell companies in Qatar to pay for '"advertising" like other clubs do.

But they are going to get away with it. It's all legal and squeaky clean. FFP is dead in the water.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Where is it that Barcelona are the ones with the problem?

Is it now the case that La Liga raising an odd objection is a stick to beat Barcelona with? Yesterday it was Barcelona are not a big club. Some people really need to get over their fixation with an unhealthy desire for 'justice' and Barcelona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Neymar playing for Barcelona again is not an option. He doesn't want to be at the club. No Barca fan supports a player who doesn't want to be at the club and who has behaved as Neymar has done. He would be destroyed by the fans.

Meh, maybe they should get over themselves. For a club that had long prided itself on its spotless reputation in Catalonia and around the world and its "more than a club mantra, their fans weren't too up in arms when, ironically, a certain Brazilian signed for them initially.
    Were there protests, soundings of disgust, embarrassment after the club's admission that it had been, at best, disingenuous over the circumstances of the signing of Neymar and was there any contemplation from these legions of fans that said transfer and the later "We are all Leo Messi" campaign during the tax fraud stuff had tarnished Barcelona's image as ambassadors of the game somewhat.

Maybe respect a player who wishes to move on in his career and seek pastures new. I would like to think you would expect your own employers, for whom you worked hard for would respect your wishes and thank you for your time there when you seek a new career challenge (and lets be honest, casting money aside, Neymar has made it clear his ambitions to be the best) and doing that, for all the money in the world at a club that Barca fans (as well as most soccer fans) see as inferior to Barcelona makes this challenge even greater.

It is a short career so why not make the most of it as a player in your own right. If I was a top player I would like to take up new challenges, play for different clubs and be the best. It is the same in any profession. He is a multi multi millionaire anyway,so why not use simple logic that he may be moving for personal footballing/professional reasons

His fellow players are giving him massive respect, why can't Barca fans respect him for what he has helped achieve for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I'm starting to think footie could do with a better system. It's madness. Though the Draft is so alien I think we'd all faint with shock and agents would of course self combust they've had it so easy.

Wouldnt work in the slightest, plus the draft is a joke, oh you are one of the best in america well you have to play for college, for free while your coach(nick saban) earns 11 million a year, Look at the kickers youtube channel recent debacle.

Also how could you draft a player too mnany in soccer spread out over the world. I actually have a lot of issues the way the draft/american sports world is run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

dfx- wrote: »

Is it now the case that La Liga raising an odd objection is a stick to beat Barcelona with? Yesterday it was Barcelona are not a big club. Some people really need to get over their fixation with an unhealthy desire for 'justice' and Barcelona.

I've never said Barca aren't a big club. I'd be a moron to say such a thing.

Barcelona have previously said they'd report PSG over FFP. However, there is no official mechanism for them to do that though, as a club can't do it to another club.

I think it's safe to say extra pressure is probably coming from Barca to get La Liga to do this.

zerks wrote: »
    Duncan Castles:

Bournemouth have offered £20 million for Demaray Gray.

I often wonder what crazy price would have been cited for Vardy this Summer if last season just gone was there 5000/1 miracle. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

LFP calling out La Liga for not accepting the payment. This is fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Macron congratulating Nasser Al-Khelaïfi, PSG chairman
    France minister of finance, Darmanin, almost euphoric about this transfer when saying "it is good to have Neymar here as it is better he pays his taxes in France than somewhere else"

There is so much wrong with all of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I think most people are laughing at Barcelona being hoist by their own petard here.

They have no conscience about doing exactly the same to any club of any player they want so I am taking a huge amount of enjoyment at them turning themselves inside out and upside down trying to deny their player the opportunity of leaving.

More than a club indeed.

More like, more than a club milk:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It used to be that Man Utd were the most hated club on these forums but it would now seem Barcelona have overtaken them.

eb6140942424697bf997986aac9b2d682cd18a18fe192e4f81ba32f17b629a24.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I dont remember the PL getting involved when United sold Ronaldo. La Liga desperately tryna keep Neymar at Barca is odd. Or is La Liga like the MLS/IRFU and players sign contracts with the League rather than a club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Are people suddenly worried about where the likes of PSG are getting their money from now? Have we not known forever that every cent spent by the likes of the middle eastern owners at City/PSG and Abramovich at Chelsea has a murky history at best?

Do Barca themselevs not get a hape of money from Qatar for sponsorship? Smells of sour grapes here, which I get, but it is a non-issue. Unless we are going to expect FIFA and UEFA to pass moral judgement on where owners get their money from, we can all move on, nothing to see here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

So the league that gives most of the TV money to just 2 clubs now has a problem with this deal.............

That will certainly work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

It used to be that Man Utd were the most hated club on these forums but it would now seem Barcelona have overtaken them.

eb6140942424697bf997986aac9b2d682cd18a18fe192e4f81ba32f17b629a24.jpg

I dont think Barca are hated but like any succesful club, people like to see them taken down a peg or two.

I certainly dont hate Barca, I'd just about prefer them to Real but I wouldnt say I hate them either.

In short, Neymar is right to do what hes doing, the fact the Barca have gone running to La Liga crying about supposed ill gotten gains from another club is frankly laughable.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I dont think Barca are hated but like any succesful club, people like to see them taken down a peg or two.

I certainly dont hate Barca, I'd just about prefer them to Real but I wouldnt say I hate them either.

In short, Neymar is right to do what hes doing, the fact the Barca have gone running to La Liga crying about supposed ill gotten gains from another club is frankly laughable.

TBF it's not the football they play being the reason, it's the manner in which both Barca and Madrid conduct business which tends to irk people

Barca are throwing the toys out the pram at the moment and it's hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

ERG89 wrote: »
    If PSG are trying to get Neymar to buy out his contract himself I don't blame La Liga for turning it down. The club should pay it not the player.

Afaik, Spanish law requires that the player pays it to the club, not the club that wants him to move to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

All that this needs now is for Neymar to buy out his contract and then change his mind about where he is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

eagle eye wrote: »
    All that this needs now is for Neymar to buy out his contract and then change his mind about where he is going.

Thanks for the money Qatar I'm off to Wrexham

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think most people are laughing at Barcelona being hoist by their own petard here.

They have no conscience about doing exactly the same to any club of any player they want so I am taking a huge amount of enjoyment at them turning themselves inside out and upside down trying to deny their player the opportunity of leaving.

More than a club indeed.

More like, more than a club milk:D

This is sort of my point. All the morals and objections to Barcelona's deals and their Qatar money is dissolved into huge enjoyment when the same Qatar money and public negotiations are used 'against' their players.

Where have they tried to deny the move? They've accepted he's going, didn't object to the public negotiations (no accusation of tapping up as we've seen with other deals this Summer) and have removed him from publicity shots. They haven't tried to tempt him to stay with a higher wage or new contract etc. He's gone as far as I can see, done and dusted.

It doesn't seem in anyway hostile. PSG offered the clause, so he goes. Neither club seem bothered by La Liga's objection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

ebbsy wrote: »
    So the league that gives most of the TV money to just 2 clubs now has a problem with this deal.............

That will certainly work.

Their TV deal/payouts has been pretty similar to the EPL one for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I know this sounds ridiculous saying Barcelona have themselves to blame for putting only a €222m clause in his contract. That figure is reachable for a few clubs even if they had to sell a few players to finance it.

rob316 wrote: »
    I know this sounds ridiculous saying Barcelona have themselves to blame for putting only a €222m clause in his contract. That figure is reachable for a few clubs even if they had to sell a few players to finance it.

They can't keep him in permanent contractual captivity. I am pretty sure Neymar and his advisors would have ensured the buy out clause was possible to be met at some stage if they did seek a change of scenery in the future . I am sure they would have loved to put a billion euro buyout clause on him to keep him there but they can't legally do such.

If he was to move next season it would increase to €250 million and incrementally increase each year of the 5 year contract he signed last October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They can't keep him in permanent contractual captivity. I am pretty sure Neymar and his advisors would have ensured the buy out clause was possible to be met at some stage if they did seek a change of scenery in the future . I am sure they would have loved to put a billion euro buyout clause on him to keep him there but they can't legally do such.

If he was to move next season it would increase to €250 million and incrementally increase each year of the 5 year contract he signed last October.

Ya your right actually think I read before the buyout clause has to have some relation to the actual value of the player and what he is paid. Messi has reportedly a €300m clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

How long will it be before Adidas, Nike, Under Armour etc etc start buying players for clubs to bypass FFP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

^^^
    I know I have heard of deals in Brazil (Deco at Fluminense is one that I remember) where sponsors of the club agree to pay part or all of the player's salary.

Third party investment is a similar idea, where a company owns the players and gives them to clubs but retains their transfer rights, though this is "banned" by FIFA, iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Barcelona have accepted payment for Neymar from the player himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Really hoping Barca and PSG draw each other in the CL at some stage.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Barca and La Liga are just trying to save face now that they're no longer the Billy big-balls on the continent. There's no way this doesn't go through now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

The first leg performance by Barcelona was probably their worst away performance of the season though ,they were terrible.
    They beat Real Madrid at the Bernabeu not long after and would have won the league had they not thrown away points at lower table opposition.

If they can sort out their away form and sign a few decent players with the Neymar money ,they will be a force to be reckoned with again.
    No summer football should mean players like Iniesta ,Busquets ,and Messi should be fresher next season.

PSG have shot their load on Neymar and they will likely have to sell off a good few players to balance the books .
    I disagree they have to balance the books, the fee is calculated over the term of the contract which means 40 million a year.
    Barcelonas squad is a good bit behind Real right now if not for Messi it would be a chasm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Really hoping Barca and PSG draw each other in the CL at some stage.

+1

And that Neymar repeats his one man show to put Barca down :D

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Barcelona have accepted payment for Neymar from the player himself.

So done then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So done then?

Matter of time surely, everything else has been agreed it seems. Looking forward to seeing the PSG clearout begin, they're going to have to move some good players on in the next few windows to stay in line with FFP. I'm sure one or two will end up in the PL.

Matter of time surely, everything else has been agreed it seems. Looking forward to seeing the PSG clearout begin, they're going to have to move some good players on in the next few windows to stay in line with FFP. I'm sure one or two will end up in the PL.

Have a guess...
    Well one talked is "the madman" to Utd
    Bonkers he is but is a class player. We do need cover for Tony V
    He likes the word pussy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Thats not how it works, PSG can well afford 40 million a year over 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Feel freedom and enjoy the world of opportunities that are out there. This transfer strengthens FC Barcelona and only weakens Neymar. In 15-20 years time when they look back on this transfer they'll say Barca got better without him, Neymar never acheived his full potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Feel freedom and enjoy the world of opportunities that are out there. This transfer strengthens FC Barcelona and only weakens Neymar. In 15-20 years time when they look back on this transfer they'll say Barca got better without him, Neymar never acheived his full potential.

How does losing one of the best players in the world strengthen Barcelona? You may be right, it could be the wrong move for him, but only time will tell.

• Advertisement

How does losing one of the best players in the world strengthen Barcelona? You may be right, it could be the wrong move for him, but only time will tell.

It's a killer blow for Barca

If he takes PSG to champions league glory I'm sure he won't care

Also, he's reading above like...

200w.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Itll be interesting to see who they go for. Griezmann, Mbappe, Dembele or Coutinho are going to cost a lot & it may get messy signing them but if they nabbed 1 or 2 of them they could be looking back at this moment a lot differently. All of them are relatively young too.

Itll be interesting to see who they go for. Griezmann, Mbappe, Dembele or Coutinho are going to cost a lot & it may get messy signing them but if they nabbed 1 or 2 of them they could be looking back at this moment a lot differently. All of them are relatively young too.

Greizmann is a fair shout. I'd be raging if he went to Barca.

He's one of the best football talents of his generation but his lifestyle had become a diatraction and played a part in Barca not winning the league last season. Who knows how out of control he will become in Paris. There was always the question of does he fit stylistically at Barca? Because there are players out there with huge talent who probably fit the style better. With this money we could do great things and maybe see a return to a more traditional Barca style of play.

The answer is Ousmane Dembele. The club must do everything to sign him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement