Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neymar Deal: The Clusterfúck

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Feel freedom and enjoy the world of opportunities that are out there. This transfer strengthens FC Barcelona and only weakens Neymar. In 15-20 years time when they look back on this transfer they'll say Barca got better without him, Neymar never acheived his full potential.

Their third best player is leaving them... I don't see how they are stronger?

Lol where is this out of control nonsense coming from all of a sudden

Ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Feel freedom and enjoy the world of opportunities that are out there. This transfer strengthens FC Barcelona and only weakens Neymar. In 15-20 years time when they look back on this transfer they'll say Barca got better without him, Neymar never acheived his full potential.

A PSG Neymar jersey if anyone can point every single one of the ridiculous elements that this post consists of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Their third best player is leaving them... I don't see how they are stronger?

I do. Stylistically, off pitch distractions, strengthening of key areas. This could prove to be the start of something great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Neymar did 9/11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I do. Stylistically, off pitch distractions, strengthening of key areas. This could prove to be the start of something great.

You must be blind if you think Neymar leaving makes Barca stronger.

I think you were hailing Neymar as the second coming of Christ when he signed for Barca, the man to take over Messi mantle when the time comes.

Crazy to think now that he's not good enough for Barca anymore, if that's the case there's probably only 6-7 players good enough for Barca!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I think you were hailing Neymar as the second coming of Christ when he signed for Barca, the man to take over Messi mantle when the time comes.

Crazy to think now that he's not good enough for Barca anymore, if that's the case there's probably only 6-7 players good enough for Barca!!

Never wanted him anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Barcelonaland: Where a loss is actually a win

Barcelonaland: Where a loss is actually a win

Where a club is bigger than a star player. Where ideals mean something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Big blow for Barca. With both Messi and Suarez now 30, Neymar was their foundation to build around for the future.

They need to buy a lot of top quality young players pretty soon, and they're going to be forced to pay waaaay over the odds for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Barcalona are the only club with ideals? Hilarious stuff as usual.

Big blow for barca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

They jump every time Messi says "Jump".

Barcalona are the only club with ideals? Hilarious stuff as usual.

Big blow for barca.

I wouldn't say the only club. Lots of clubs have ideals, just not all of them are the same as Barcelona's.

Patww79 wrote: »

Qatar, a country associated with sponsoring terrorism on their shirts for years.

Probably got close to Neymar during that period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Go away out of that. Their actual star player has had a payrise every season bar two since he started so that they don't lose him. Their wage bill is creaking towards 70% of turnover.

But yeah, the club is bigger than the stars, Mes Que Un Club or whatever.

Where a club is willing to defend a criminal because they arguably owe a decade of success to him and desperate not to unsettle him.

"We are all Leo Messi"

The question isn't about individual quality. At Barcelona there's always an added dimension of "does the player fit with the philosophy?" With regards to Neymar he is an amazing talent, arguably only bettered by Messi and Ronaldo currently. However the balance at Barca had shifted too far towards the front 3. Whether Neymar ever really bedded into the Barca way is a question open to debate and while he played brilliantly for periods, one could ask at what cost to the collective good. While finding a player as individually brilliant as Neymar is at this moment is impossible, finding 1 or 2 players that improves the collective could prove far more valuable to Barcelona.

• Advertisement

It's a great deal for Barcelona in fairness.

The question isn't about individual quality. At Barcelona there's always an added dimension of "does the player fit with the philosophy?" With regards to Neymar he is an amazing talent, arguably only bettered by Messi and Ronaldo currently. However the balance at Barca had shifted too far towards the front 3. Whether Neymar ever really bedded into the Barca way is a question open to debate and while he played brilliantly for periods, one could ask at what cost to the collective good. While finding a player as individually brilliant as Neymar is at this moment is impossible, finding 1 or 2 players that improves the collective could prove far more valuable to Barcelona.

Would you be uttering the exact same face saving soundbytes if Suarez left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

£190m for any player is a stunning deal for the selling club even moreso when it's paid in a lump sum and not installments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Even crazier is after spending half a billion all in he could leave for free at 30 yes old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

This isn't just a club throwing it's toys out of the pram.

It's more than a club throwing it's toys out of the pram.

Was just chatting to a Brazilian friend about this... she was saying Neymar's church takes 10% of all his earnings. That's quite a windfall for them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Andersonisgod, with the 2 threads being split earlier I'm not sure if you saw this post I submitted earlier. I'd be very interested in hearing your opinion on the points I made, especially about how you see the Neymar situation being different to Pep leaving Bayern for Man City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

First the Barca board are useless for allowing this to happen.
    Then Pique reaches deity status after 'convincing him to stay'.
    Now the deal is done, he didn't fit in anyway.

Christ Almighty, just take it on the chin. The guy who came to Barcelona for fame and fortune, has now moved somewhere he thinks he'll get richer, and the spotlight will shine brighter on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Rezident

SlickRic wrote: »
    it's funny how Barcelona all of a sudden have an issue with Qatari money, isn't it?

1477773424_125979_1477775280_sumario_normal.jpg

Barcelona didn't turn down the payment, La Liga did, could get interesting now.

€222m is a great deal - especially for player who played very poorly for the whole first half of last season. He is a super player but nobody bar Messi is worth that sort of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I wouldn't say the only club. Lots of clubs have ideals, just not all of them are the same as Barcelona's.

Barcelona used to have Unicef on the front of their jerseys while donating them money.

Then Barca sold them to Qatar.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Neymar leaving might be good for Barca give them cash to invest in the team outside the front line. It needs it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Ah here you know it's gone to fanboy level of bull**** when Neymars lifestyle is getting blamed for Barca not winning the league.. cop on ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Feel freedom and enjoy the world of opportunities that are out there. This transfer strengthens FC Barcelona....

Mussolini would be proud of that propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Done dealio. PSG website.

DGVDC80VYAAAxCt.jpg:large
    Mohamed Bouhafsi‏Verified account @mohamedbouhafsi 2m2 minutes ago
    #Neymar sera prntemain aux journalistes au Parc des Princes en dt d'apres midi et il sera prntvant le match samedi au public

Translation:
    @neymarjr @PSG_inside #Neymar will be presented tomorrow to the journalists at the Parc des Princes earlier this afternoon and he will be presented before the game on Saturday to the public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://twitter.com/AP/status/893194074299256833

Looks a done deal.
    Crazy money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

pjohnson wrote: »
    Barcelona used to have Unicef on the front of their jerseys while donating them money.

Then Barca sold them to Qatar.

Kind of ironic that UNICEF is an organisation that helps and protects kids in slavery yet Barca were more than happy to accept money from the perpetrators of slavery.

Nobody is above reproach when enough €€€€ come into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Kind of ironic that UNICEF is an organisation that helps and protects kids in slavery yet Barca were more than happy to accept money from the perpetrators of slavery.

Nobody is above reproach when enough €€€€ come into it.

Yeah, that was a particularly cynical move... was so transparent right from the outset too. They knew the fans would kick off if they brought on a shirt sponsor for the first time in their history - they took great pride in not selling space on their jersey. So they used the charitable UNICEF move as a segway to having a paid sponsor on board. No one could complain about having a charity on there for free... and then the precedent was set for the real estate on their shirt to be used. And the uproar was far less than it would have been previously.

TheTownie wrote: »
    Done dealio. PSG website.

DGVDC80VYAAAxCt.jpg:large

Someone needs to charge their phone, quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Neymar's all about that passion and energy!
    Richard Conway‏Verified account @richard_conway 2m2 minutes ago
    Neymar: "Paris Saint-Germain’s ambition attracted me to the club, along with the passion and the energy this brings."

EDIT: Full Statement from Neymar
    I am extremely happy to join Paris Saint-Germain, said Neymar Jr after signing his contract. Since I arrived in Europe, the club has always been one of the most competitive and most ambitious. And the biggest challenge, what most motivated me to join my new teammates is to help the club to conquer the titles that their fans want. Paris Saint-Germain’s ambition attracted me to the club, along with the passion and the energy this brings. I played 4 seasons in Europe and I feel ready to take the challenge. From today, I will do everything I can to help my new teamates, to open up new horizons for my club and to bring happiness to its millions of supporters around the world."

“It is with immense joy and pride that we welcome Neymar Jr to Paris Saint-Germain, said Nasser Al-Khelaifi, President of Paris Saint-Germain. Neymar Jr is today one of the very best players in world football. His winning mentality, strength of character and sense of leadership have made him into a great player. He will bring a very positive energy to this club. In six years, we have built a very ambitious project that has already taken us to the highest level of national and European football. Today, with the arrival of Neymar Jr, I am convinced that we will come even closer, with the support of our faithful fans, to realizing our greatest dreams.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

As inevitable as it all was, seeing this officially announced is still a bit mental. When was the last time Barca actually lost one of their stars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Yea, it's all in the game really.

Hopefully Barca can spend the money wisely and improve their squad. I wouldn't be confident though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

As inevitable as it all was, seeing this officially announced is still a bit mental. When was the last time Barca actually lost one of their stars?

Figo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

brevity wrote: »
    Figo?

Could be, 17 years ago :eek:

I doubt PSG has many millions of fans outside of France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

RobertKK wrote: »

They have now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This is the day football officially began to die.

I wish, for the laugh, his statement was just: "€€€€€€R$R$R$R$R$R$R$€€€€€€R$R$R$R$R$R$R$€€€€€€R$R$R$R$R$R$R$"

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »

Neymar is a massive name. PSG will gain plenty of plastic fans now worldwide.

Advertisement