Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neymar Deal: The Clusterfúck

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Stop sulking with faux outrage.

Every one of your posts ends in a roundabout "This isn't fair", "the game I love is ruined", "This isn't right" "I don't relate to the players anymore" ,"I'm off" "Enjoy yourselves watching modern football" huff like manner before you return again and start muttering on about the romantics of a very badly ran and desperately in need of funds League of Ireland or of the joyous real footballing days when a multi multi millionaire, Jack Walker was essentially using the same methods almost 30 years ago with his daddy's money in an effort to build a team to dominate English football (his own words)

I preferred professional football back in th 90's - so what - I preferred boards back in the day to , time to move on - too old for this and my faux outrage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

thebaz wrote: »
    I preferred professional football back in th 90's - so what - I preferred boards back in the day to , time to move on

Haven't you been saying this for about 20 posts now!!

I also prefferred club soccer in 90s / early 2000s but maybe it was the wonder of joyous youth! Heading out and kicking ball every day after school with a jersey on my back. But I respect evolution, however drastic that it has become the last 2/3 seasons, and I will still follow it and not abandon the game.

It does diminish the passion of fan and club relationship somewhat but not to the point that I would abandon watching it or heading to Manchester twice a season to watch a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

https://twitter.com/FCBarcelona_es/status/893425303024017412

26 million bonus won't be paid as conditions are not met.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Good luck to Neymar, he's entitled to go to a new club. This is only a big deal because of the huge buy-out clause... the buy-out clause that Barcelona are p***ed off about as somebody actually paid it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/FCBarcelona_es/status/893425303024017412

26 million bonus won't be paid as conditions are not met.

I'm sure the €78m change from the Arabs and weekly €515k will soften that blow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Arghus wrote:
    I'm not disputing that he was rich or that Blackburn's success wasn't wholly reliant on money! But I do think you have to take into account that he was a genuine supporter of the club. Many fans dream of being of becoming so loaded that they can power their club to glory. That's what he did. I think there's some romance in that, whereas there's literally none in the oligarchs and billionaires approach of today.

Absolutely no difference. How do you know the Arabs at city didn't grow up loving city? Same goes for PSG. We can assume they didn't but only assume.

If a rich guy uses a team as a football manager game it doesn't matter if he loves the club or not.

Blackburn of the time were perhaps worse than City and PSG from a moral point of view. City and PSG are just doing what loads of clubs seedling. Blackburn did it when nobody was spending that kind of cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Mr.H wrote: »
    Absolutely no difference. How do you know the Arabs at city didn't grow up loving city? Same goes for PSG. We can assume they didn't but only assume.

If a rich guy uses a team as a football manager game it doesn't matter if he loves the club or not.

Blackburn of the time were perhaps worse than City and PSG from a moral point of view. City and PSG are just doing what loads of clubs seedling. Blackburn did it when nobody was spending that kind of cash.

I ll take that one.....

Nasser Al-Khela, the president of PSG came out with this one during the presentation: Our fans always dreamt of seeing a player like this and with Neymar we are going to write history.

Lifelong fans their are not if they dont know a certain Ronaldinho played there for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Mr.H wrote: »

Are you for real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

thebaz wrote: »
    I preferred professional football back in th 90's - so what - I preferred boards back in the day to , time to move on - too old for this and my faux outrage

I mean you can blame fans for that change too. Look at what happens to someone like Darren Gibson as soon as they let down their guard - videos of them plastered all over social media by supporters and he's in the ****e with his club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is the English game a bit old fashioned when it comes to transfers. It's all down to the manager who he wants, he has the last say. The PSG manager who ever he is has no played any part in this signing. It's a case of here is Neymar, play him or else !

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Mr.H wrote:

Ah yes, it has been well documented how closely Qatari princes followed Manchester City during their time in England's Division 2. I hear the Sheikh still has his old City "Brother" jersey with Dickov on the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

So in the end La Liga could actually do nothing?

I mean you can blame fans for that change too. Look at what happens to someone like Darren Gibson as soon as they let down their guard - videos of them plastered all over social media by supporters and he's in the ****e with his club.

little time for what Darren Gibson says or doesn't say - decent footballer who just wasted his talent away with his off-field antics - can't remember the last time he put a decent shift in - back in his Utd days -

Is the English game a bit old fashioned when it comes to transfers. It's all down to the manager who he wants, he has the last say. The PSG manager who ever he is has no played any part in this signing. It's a case of here is Neymar, play him or else !

Yeah, you kind of feel sorry for him being stuck with Neymar in his squad now..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Yeah, you kind of feel sorry for him being stuck with Neymar in his squad now..........

Barca and Real are the same, they buy the players and manager has zero input. But I guess when it is the best they buy what manager would not want their choices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

https://twitter.com/Zaahid_LFC/status/893002261135282177

Neymar signing will take PSG spending since July 2013 to £591m. In same period: MUFC spent 785m MCFC - £769m CFC - £597m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Pete Moss wrote: »
    Ah yes, it has been well documented how closely Qatari princes followed Manchester City during their time in England's Division 2. I hear the Sheikh still has his old City "Brother" jersey with Dickov on the back.
    I know a Bray Wanderers fan who has never set foot in this country. It's through playing FIFA that he go to know about them and became interested in them.

It's not unreasonable that somebody could like a team that wasn't in the Premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

rob316 wrote: »
    So in the end La Liga could actually do nothing?

Nothing, other than putting their toys back in the pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

eagle eye wrote:
    I know a Bray Wanderers fan who has never set foot in this country. It's through playing FIFA that he go to know about them and became interested in them.

eagle eye wrote:
    It's not unreasonable that somebody could like a team that wasn't in the Premier league.

Of course it's not. I never said it was unreasonable that somebody could like a team that wasn't in the Premier league. It is, however, unlikely that such a person would go on to buy this club and invest billions into the team, as City's owners have.

Do you believe they've supported City through thick and thin through the years from their palace, knowing that one day when they inherit their family's endless fortune they'd bankroll the club? Or, could it be that City had been gifted the City of Manchester stadium, had established some form of foothold in the Premier League again and represented a safe purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Neymar told Ramos and Marcelo he was leaving Barca before telling his teammates. Figo v.2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Neymar signing will take PSG spending since July 2013 to £591m. In same period: MUFC spent 785m MCFC - £769m CFC - £597m

I remember a few years ago seeing that the total cost of the PSG squad was more that that of every other team in Ligue 1 put together.

Of course it's not. I never said it was unreasonable that somebody could like a team that wasn't in the Premier league. It is, however, unlikely that such a person would go on to buy this club and invest billions into the team, as City's owners have.

Do you believe they've supported City through thick and thin through the years from their palace, knowing that one day when they inherit their family's endless fortune they'd bankroll the club? Or, could it be that City had been gifted the City of Manchester stadium, had established some form of foothold in the Premier League again and represented a safe purchase?
    I don't know the first thing about them. The other poster didn't say it was certain they were City fans before they bought them either, he just pointed out that it was possible.

Nobody is saying it's even likely just that it's a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Rezident

DM_7 wrote: »
    Neymar leaving might be good for Barca give them cash to invest in the team outside the front line. It needs it.

Yes, if they just bought the Juventus defence they would win everything.

Of course, it's barcelona, so instead they'll spend all the money on strikers and attacking midfielders (Coutinnho's price just went from 50m to 100m after this deal) and will concede WAY way too many soft goals again, as usual.

Neymar told Ramos and Marcelo he was leaving Barca before telling his teammates. Figo v.2

Did Sergio or Matias or Santiago on one of the Barca forums tell you that or someone on twitter............. how in god's name would you know?

Anyway, Marcelo is one of his closest friends, I am sure discussing and mulling over it in private with a 3rd party friend is very much more different than telling your work colleagues. It is very unprofessional to do the latter.

It's all a load of sh*te emanating from the bitter Barca brigade at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

When did Neymar's Dad tell him he was leaving?

Ha! Hilarious, for a man in the know, AIG, you have shown yourself up here!
    this is the nonsense where this Ramos/Marcelo bullsh*te latest vendetta tool against Neymar emanated from!

The equivalent of a teenager's blog! I thought you were better than that!

http://www.soccerladuma.co.za/fan-park/update/real-madrid/10768

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

eagle eye wrote: »

Bet ya he regrets that one now!

Looking forward to seeing how it'll work out now. Will Neymar and PSG push on, or will it be the ultimate vanity project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I can see why he would leave Barca, the money and something new, he's not the kind of player to stay at one club for his entire career.

When Messi and Ronaldo are gone, not many challenges for Ballon D'or if PSG push on in the CL.

Anyway the Spanish, German and Italian leagues are runaways for the big clubs. How many competitive games do Barca really have a season?

Irish_rat wrote: »
    I can see why he would leave Barca, the money and something new, he's not the kind of player to stay at one club for his entire career.

When Messi and Ronaldo are gone, not many challenges for Ballon D'or if PSG push on in the CL.

Anyway the Spanish, German and Italian leagues are runaways for the big clubs. How many competitive games do Barca really have a season?

The Spanish league, although won by one of 3 for a while and a while to come is not a wholly uncompetitive league. Plenty of teams put it up to Barca and Madrid in a manner you wouldn't see until the latter stages of the Champions League.

The cream will always rise to the top in La Liga but they still have to maintain a top standard in vast majority of their games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

He will leave PSG after 3 years he will be 28 and just in time for one last bumper payday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If it makes you feel better to believe nonsense, go for it. You lost one of your best players. It happens to every team. Including Barcelona.

Accept it and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

redzerdrog wrote: »
    He will leave PSG after 3 years he will be 28 and just in time for one last bumper payday

Think that's being generous. Wouldn't surprise me to see an attempt for more money next summer and him to be gone the following summer. Although can't think of where.

FFS, PSG are an excellent team, one of the best in Europe. People talking about them as if they are a team located in a village in outer Mongolia.

What are the only teams he can play for to prove his footballing career aspirations aren't solely motivated by money. And Ligue 1 isn't as much as a walk in the park as you say. And arrivals of players like Neymar and the attention drawn to the league will eventually strengthen the teams around France, like every other league.

They didn't even win their league last year and Nice weren't far behind them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I wonder will PSG move to Stade De France permanently in the near future.

Surely there will be an increase in wanting people to watch them now and the increase in gate receipts could help cover the cost of the transfer if FFP comes up.

Barca fans embarrassing themselves on Twitter.
    Burning the Neymar Jersey

Such nonsense

It really is embarrassing. But hilarious! The sudden hatred for a player!

Completely showing themself up as a club with a severe superiority complex.Toys. Pram. Throwing.
    Keep those jerseys in a case and remember that epic night last season against (ahem) PSG. Burning a 100 euro jersey is f*cking simpleton stuff!
    Neymar gave them years of service and they weren't short changed with his departure. Players move on. Even if they are top class players in the Barca team. They should be grateful it's so rare this happens and accept it.

I always found adults putting a name on the back, to put it nicely, sad anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

United are projected to have revenue of around £750 million a year in the next few years, currently around £570 million in revenue a year.
    United broke the world record fee in 2016, but still posted a profit of £191.9 million which was similar to the Neymar fee...

It really is embarrassing. But hilarious! The sudden hatred for a player!

Completely showing themself up as a club with a severe superiority complex.Toys. Pram. Throwing.
    Keep those jerseys in a case and remember that epic night last season against (ahem) PSG. Burning a 100 euro jersey is f*cking simpleton stuff!
    Neymar gave them years of service and they weren't short changed with his departure. Players move on. Even if they are top class players in the Barca team. They should be grateful it's so rare this happens and accept it.

I always found adults putting a name on the back, to put it nicely, sad anyway.

Or a club with extremely high standards that wont just accept and absolve traitors. No real big club would.

Or a club with extremely high standards that wont just accept and absolve traitors. No real big club would.

Brazilian leaves team from Barcelona where team from Barcelona receives €220 million = Traitor.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

redzerdrog wrote: »

hardly will need more money - and according to himself not interested in money

Brazilian leaves team from Barcelona where team from Barcelona receives €220 million = Traitor.:rolleyes:

Player destined to be the main man at one of Europe's greatest clubs, taking over from the best player ever, throws it away for money and a 3rd tier club. That's reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Don't you think traitor is a bit strong? He'll kick a ball around a field for a different team, not leaking national security secrets to the Russians

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Don't you think traitor is a bit strong? He'll kick a ball around a field for a different team, not leaking national security secrets to the Russians

Traitor in terms of football obviously. I'm not accusing him of being a Russian sleeper agent....yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Neymar is player, he is not a slave for Barcelona where he is required to stay, his contract allowed him to leave if the buyout clause was met.
    Not the definition of a traitor, what happened was allowed for in his contract which Barcelona agreed to.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Neymar is player, he is not a slave for Barcelona where he is required to stay, his contract allowed him to leave if the buyout clause was met.
    Not the definition of a traitor, what happened was allowed for in his contract which Barcelona agreed to.

Leaving players who asked him to stay, who protected and nurtured him is betrayal. Treating Barcelona fans who vehemently supported him with such ignorance is a betrayal. Leaving a club he claimed to love when the club needed him most is betrayal. He won't care that he's a traitor, he's got money and his Brazilians around him now in Paris but he is a traitor, of that there is no doubt.

• Advertisement

Keep them coming. ......... you are on fire this morning! !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Leaving players who asked him to stay, who protected and nurtured him is betrayal. Treating Barcelona fans who vehemently supported him with such ignorance is a betrayal. Leaving a club he claimed to love when the club needed him most is betrayal. He won't care that he's a traitor, he's got money and his Brazilians around him now in Paris but he is a traitor, of that there is no doubt.

lol.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Lmfao, this is all about getting the reaction you want I presume? I don't believe for one moment that you truly believe that tripe.

If you do believe it then you need to walk away from the game for a while and get your head together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

By the same logic Suarez is as much a traitor for leaving Liverpool, particularly after Liverpool stood by him through all the nonsense he created, leaving a club he claimed to love despite being asked to stay when they really needed him to push on.

Or maybe Pique is a traitor for abandoning Barca when United flashed the cash, and then again, for abandoning United despite them giving him his opportunity.

How about Larsson or Henry going to Barca? Both claimed to love their previous clubs, both of whom needed them a hell of a lot more than Barca.

And Guadiola, didn't he "abandon" Barca Both as a player and manager?

Or maybe they're just professional taking the decisions that they believe are in their own best interests, having served their previous clubs well and, particularly in Naymar's case, earned them a substantial transfer fee

• Advertisement
Advertisement