Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neymar Deal: The Clusterfúck

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Or a club with extremely high standards .

sure that's why Figo went from Barca to Madrid:p

AIG is boss. Running rings around you lads!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    AIG is boss. Running rings around you lads!!

Not sure about that. More like teenage girl spouting rubbish because she lost something she held dearly.

p.s sorry if any teenage girl offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Leaving players who asked him to stay, who protected and nurtured him is betrayal. Treating Barcelona fans who vehemently supported him with such ignorance is a betrayal. Leaving a club he claimed to love when the club needed him most is betrayal. He won't care that he's a traitor, he's got money and his Brazilians around him now in Paris but he is a traitor, of that there is no doubt.

Could say the same about his move from Santos to Barca.

You're so childish it's unreal.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Not sure about that. More like teenage girl spouting rubbish because she lost something she held dearly.

p.s sorry if any teenage girl offended.

There's a rough guess of 10 lads engaging when we all know he's having a laugh. Jokes on them tbh. Makes for fun reading though !!

There's a rough guess of 10 lads engaging when we all know he's having a laugh. Jokes on them tbh. Makes for fun reading though !!

Or crying on his Barca pillow throwing away Neymar mug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Rarely seen picture of how AIG spends his free time.

giphy.gif

Ashley Young would be proud of that jump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

People presumably hire clowns for the same reason. Way back when weren't simpletons and the like part of those travelling freak shows? Maybe he was having a laugh at the start but hes dug himself so far into the mire its beyond just im laughing and more sad parody.

Do have to respect him for not running away and re-regging when he reached the point of no return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Or a club with extremely high standards that wont just accept and absolve traitors. No real big club would.

He's not a traitor.

He switched jobs for better terms. Like he did when he joined Barca.

Would you ever get a fúcking hold of yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Could say the same about his move from Santos to Barca.

You're so childish it's unreal.

Comparing it to his move from Santos or Suarez moving from Liverpool to Barca making him a traitor is inherently wrong and misleading. They were moving for sporting success, they were moving to the best team in the world at that time. That's a huge difference to moving to a club like PSG with limited history, playing in a sub standard league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

cmon now guys.. neymar not interested in money is laughable,just check his history,he got a massive raise going to psg,and huge sign on fee,he will be one of the worlds leading football superstars in paris,will be huge image rights deals and endorsements worldwide. he may not be the best player ever,but he will probably be the richest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Comparing it to his move from Santos or Suarez moving from Liverpool to Barca making him a traitor is inherently wrong and misleading. They were moving for sporting success, they were moving to the best team in the world at that time. That's a huge difference to moving to a club like PSG with limited history, playing in a sub standard league.
    You do realise that a Ballon d'Or winner and world player of the year was at PSG before? He won it because of his exploits with them and his country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

cmon now guys.. neymar not interested in money is laughable,just check his history,he got a massive raise going to psg,and huge sign on fee,he will be one of the worlds leading football superstars in paris,will be huge image rights deals and endorsements worldwide. he may not be the best player ever,but he will probably be the richest
    And what about it? He is entitled to make as much money as he can in the short career that a football player has.

The only thing going on here is that one person is calling him a traitor and all sorts for leaving Barcelona but is hypocritical enough to think that players leaving other clubs to go to Barcelona are somehow different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

So no club is allowed to be ambitious apart from the ones that are already successful; and no player is allowed to move from a successful club to a less successful club because that makes them a traitor.

Good Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I like money, AND football AND Paris AND I work hard at my job........

Just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I guess that is why Neymar moved to PSG, he sees the writing on the wall for Barcelona.
    He wants bigger success, rather than winning just a Copa del Rey given Real Madrid dominance in Spain and Europe.

RobertKK wrote: »
    I guess that is why Neymar moved to PSG, he sees the writing on the wall for Barcelona.
    He wants bigger success, rather than winning just a Copa del Rey given Real Madrid dominance in Spain and Europe.

Agreed. He's leaving a sinking ship. Messi won't be around forever to win trophies for them.

Or maybe Neymar wants to pay tax and be a good human.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

AIG has committed the unforgivable: he's become boring.

Agreed. He's leaving a sinking ship. Messi won't be around forever to win trophies for them.

A sinking ship?

This level of analysis is top notch. This man knows his stuff.

A sinking ship?

For a fella who bemoans people biting when AIG throws out the bait, surely you would have realised that that post was clearly tongue in cheek!!

For a fella who bemoans people biting when AIG throws out the bait, surely you would have realised that that post was clearly tongue in cheek!!

It clearly was indeed. Absolutely.

A sinking ship?

Well they're not the side they once were, and Messi isn't quite the player he once was either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

So that would make Figo not a traitor either then? He moved for success to one of the biggest clubs in the world at the time, won a league and the CL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

LiamoSail wrote: »
    So that would make Figo not a traitor either then? He moved for success to one of the biggest clubs in the world at the time, won a league and the CL

That's neither here nor there. He wasn't a Barcelona fan back then :pac:

That's neither here nor there. He wasn't a Barcelona fan back then :pac:

I am starting to question whether he was even born back then :D

I remember the quote from the Barca president which I dug up just now

"We aren't going to start anything but, and I don't want this to sound like a threat, I'm not going to forget this,"

"Someone who does this to me will pay for it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I am starting to question whether he was even born back then :D

I remember the quote from the Barca president which I dug up just now

"We aren't going to start anything but, and I don't want this to sound like a threat, I'm not going to forget this,"

"Someone who does this to me will pay for it."

I don't remember Pique saying that :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

LiamoSail wrote: »

Figo didnt move solely for success ,he primarily moved for money and he didnt even want to go in the end .
    He had won the league twice in the previous 3 seasons with Barcelona before his transfer to Madrid.
    He had won the Copa Del Rey twice in the previous 4 years.
    His transfer was a very messy affair and he constantly denied that he was leaving ,hence why he is correctly viewed as a traitor.
    It all started with a secret pre-contract agreement brokered between Figo and a man named Florentino Perez. At the time, Perez was just a man trying to win the Real Madrid presidency.

Perez was seen as a longshot to win the presidency over incumbent Lorenzo Sanz. Sanz had helped Real win the European Cup in 1998 and 2000. He figured fans were satisfied with his work. What he didn’t count on was that the club’s financial health would become a source of controversy, and that Perez had an ace up his sleeve in the form of a mega-signing.

At the same time, Barcelona were holding the elections that would eventually result in Joan Gaspart winning the presidency. Figo was looking for a new contract but was told to wait until after the elections to get a seal of approval from the new president.

Perez contacted Figo’s agent, Jose Veia, with an interesting proposal. If Perez won the presidency, Figo would join Real. If Perez lost, Figo would get 1 million euro. Veia and Paulo Futre, the former Atletico Madrid player who acted as an intermediary, saw this as essentially, free money. No way would Perez win, right?

What, perhaps, they didn’t expect was for Perez to campaign on the promise that he already had Figo signed up. Real Madrid fans were ecstatic at the thought.

Figo told his teammates not to worry, that he was not leaving. He was pictured in SPORT holding a Barcelona shirt, saying he wasn’t going. He assured fans no pre-contract existed. Sanz laughed that Perez might now claim he had signed supermodel Claudia Schiffer.

But it was all true. Perez won. Madrid triggered Figo’s release clause of 62 million euro, the most expensive player to date.

What wasn’t clear was how much Figo approved of the deal. But there was a penalty if Figo didn’t go through with it. If Perez won, they had agreed to pay a stunning 30 million euro penalty if the transfer wasn’t completed.

Apparently, Figo went to newly elected Gaspart’s office to plead for Barcelona to pay the penalty to keep him. But Gaspart didn’t want to do it. Pay that much money to Real Madrid just to keep a player, not get a new one? It was unthinkable.

It went through, despite its seeming impossibility, for a world record fee. Figo stayed for 5 years at Madrid, winning La Liga twice and the Champions League once. Cules branded him a traitor and a liar. He was never forgiven.

https://www.barcablaugranes.com/2017/7/31/16069474/luis-figo-barcelona-transfer-real-madrid-neymar-psg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

People really need to grow up and stop referring to players who move clubs in professional soccer as traitors. Particularly if the player isn't even from the country or city of the club he left.

• Advertisement

People really need to grow up and stop referring to players who move clubs in professional soccer as traitors. Particularly if the player isn't even from the country or city of the club he left.

Nothing wrong with moving clubs ,and I dont see anything wrong with what Neymar did.
    Barcelona got a good deal and he was relatively honest with them .
    Its the wrong decision in my opinion ,he would be better off at Barcelona but its his decision.

Figo on the other hand ,he repeatedly lied through his teeth to the club,the media ,the fans .
    Call him what you will ,a bare faced liar, a traitor ,but it was a stain on him that I think even he regrets how it was handled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Player destined to be the main man at one of Europe's greatest clubs, taking over from the best player ever, throws it away for money and a 3rd tier club. That's reality.

And yet you still haven't answered my question as to why you considered Neymar to be a 'traitor' and 'judas' for leaving Barcelona to join PSG, but you don't seem to have similar issue with Pep for going from Bayern Munich to Man City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Nothing wrong with moving clubs ,and I dont see anything wrong with what Neymar did.
    Barcelona got a good deal and he was relatively honest with them .
    Its the wrong decision in my opinion ,he would be better off at Barcelona but its his decision.

Figo on the other hand ,he repeatedly lied through his teeth to the club,the media ,the fans .
    Call him what you will ,a bare faced liar, a traitor ,but it was a stain on him that I think even he regrets how it was handled.

Likes he's the only person who's ever done that in the sport. Players and maanger lie all the time to the media just to give themselves an easier life, anyone with any sense would do the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Messi's wedding seems to have been something out of Game of Thrones :p

http://www.marca.com/en/football/barcelona/2017/08/07/59882ce5e2704e083c8b45bc.html
    Neymar is now history at Barcelona and it was at the wedding of Lionel Messi that he cooked up his plan with Dani Alves to leave and join Paris Saint Germain.

Christ, seen it all know! Between this and the headlines that Neymar told Marcelo and Caisemero before anyone else he was leaving based on them having a little chat and a joke after a friendly last week, this is a circus! !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

I wish Neymar as much success as Paul Pogba last year....

I wish Neymar as much success as Paul Pogba last year....

Success in Europe! That is nice of you!

Christ, seen it all know! Between this and the headlines that Neymar told Marcelo and Caisemero before anyone else he was leaving based on them having a little chat and a joke after a friendly last week, this is a circus! !

Well Neymar did suggest to Dani Alves that he should join PSG ,Alves has confirmed this .
    Dani Alves says Neymar told him last month to move to Paris Saint-Germain as he was considering his own move to the French capital.

The defender, who was released by Juventus after last season, was heavily linked to joining Manchester City until signing for PSG in a shock move on July 12.

That was five days before the first reports broke that Neymar was also considering joining PSG from Barcelona, but Alves said his Brazil teammate let him know earlier he was considering a move.

"I talked to him about the possibility," Alves said after helping PSG win their Ligue 1 opener on Saturday. "He recommended me to come here. He suggested that I come to the club.

"I said I wanted to leave Juventus, and he was thinking of coming here."

http://www.espnfc.com/story/3173262/dani-alves-says-neymar-suggested-he-should-join-psg-and-hinted-at-own-move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I only click in here to see how close AIG is to snapping and losing his grip on reality altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Neymar: Barcelona president criticises player over departure

Can't say I thought Neymar handled the whole thing badly, or is that just me?

The holier than thou attitude from Barcelona is tough to put up with at times. Their pursuit of Suarez wasn't the most discreet of transfers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Doesn't look good for the brainwashed massses when one of your best players in his prime is sold to a "lesser" team.

The PR team will be going into overdrive for the time being, doing everything and anything they can to convince their fans it's all Neymar's fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I do have to laugh at football fans like this. Out of the stakeholders of the game, Fans, Players, Managers, The Club Management, the fans are probably the least loyal to the other parties.

If a player has a few bad games, they want him dropped. If a player has a bad season, they want him sold. If a team has a few bad months the fans want the manager sacked. If a club doesn't spend an obscene amount of money and the team doesn't do well, the fans want the board sacked and the owner to sell up.

But if anybody upsets the fans, TRAITOR!!! SNAKE!!! No loyalty in the game anymore!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Dave0301 wrote: »

The holier than thou attitude from Barcelona is tough to put up with at times. Their pursuit of Suarez wasn't the most discreet of transfers.

Bit laughable considering they constantly tap up former players or just players in general too, like everyone else.

Considering the hazy and shady circumstances in how they signed Neymar in the first place, their own sponsorship with Qatar airways, it all just seems a bit rich.

That club is in a bit of a slide, having just lost the player they assumed would take over Messi's mantle. Not overly surprised the board and president is in damage control to appease fans, who likely arnt happy with how transfers have been going under this regime. A lot of wasted money and now losing Neymar.

Also a bit laughable with citing Messi as an example, a player they have had to bend over backwards for to various demands and a prickly character who the minute they bent the knee to certain demands, made him bigger then their club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I do have to laugh at football fans like this. Out of the stakeholders of the game, Fans, Players, Managers, The Club Management, the fans are probably the least loyal to the other parties.

If a player has a few bad games, they want him dropped. If a player has a bad season, they want him sold. If a team has a few bad months the fans want the manager sacked. If a club doesn't spend an obscene amount of money and the team doesn't do well, the fans want the board sacked and the owner to sell up.

But if anybody upsets the fans, TRAITOR!!! SNAKE!!! No loyalty in the game anymore!!!

I equate to it any other job, albeit it being the edge case in terms of elite sport. I'm not sure why people expect allegiance, or expect there to be some "owing" from players to clubs. In certain circumstances you can see it for sure, but lets not pretend that clubs don't try every snakey trick in the book when it comes to penny pinching with contracts, or maximise every penny from these players in marketing aspects.

The hypocrisy of that whole situation is baffling, considering that no fan in the stand or at home is likely going to deploy unwavering loyalty to their employer, if someone else came in and offered them a nortical **** ton of money to do the same job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

It's hardly baffling that people think like this. They're emotional invested and can't see the forst for the trees.

You could also argue that supporting a football club as a grown adult is slightly pathetic in of itself, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Seen this, it's all over Twitter and a few other places, surely if this is Legit then Neymar didn't lodge the money himself and PSG will surely fall foul of FFP?

https://twitter.com/sportingindex/status/893818947841269760

Nah. In the books it can be spread over the term of the contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Messi's wedding seems to have been something out of Game of Thrones :p

http://www.marca.com/en/football/barcelona/2017/08/07/59882ce5e2704e083c8b45bc.html

Les Bleus Wedding. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

astradave wrote: »
    Seen this, it's all over Twitter and a few other places, surely if this is Legit then Neymar didn't lodge the money himself and PSG will surely fall foul of FFP?

https://twitter.com/sportingindex/status/893818947841269760

Do you really think someone would write a cheque for that amount? If I was PSG I would have paid in 1c coins :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Dave0301 wrote: »

Forget Suarez. Long before that with Fabregas they lost all rights to complain about anything transfer related, ever.

cescget_1677880c.jpg

So much 'more than a club' that they'll make their country's world cup winning celebration all about Barca and their proud and open disrespect for his contract with another club.

Advertisement