Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband+phone.

Options
  • 03-08-2017 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Anyone in Sligo Town with Pure Telecom? Looking for recommendations for different providers. Need something cheaper than Eir but reliable. I'm with Eir, can't fault the service but getting expensive. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭tommyamnesia

Anyone in Sligo Town with Pure Telecom? Looking for recommendations for different providers. Need something cheaper than Eir but reliable. I'm with Eir, can't fault the service but getting expensive. Thanks.
    No one with Pure?

No one with Pure?
    Vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Vodafone?
    Most will lease the line of eir so they will all be much of a muchnes

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Most will lease the line of eir so they will all be much of a muchnes

This. Pure, Vodafone, and Sky all use Eircom lines, and all UP TO 100mb, so it's really down to the packaging they are offering to sway you. 'Imagine' I would avoid as that is 4G, the same as what you mobile is just faster, so network dependent, think Max speed is UP TO 75mb

Other options would be Virgin, uses the old Corus/UPC network, and is UP TO 360mb. Final option would be one of the providers on the SIRO/ESB network. Vodafone are the main providers of that in Sligo as far as I know, they give UP TO 150mb for same price as their 100mb on Eir lines, or UP TO 350 for a higher rates. SIRO/ESB lines are actually capable of UP TO 1000mb in places.

I have capped 'up to' as the Max speed advertised is not guaranteed, and all comes down to line quality, distance from exchange/cabinet, etc etc.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    This. Pure, Vodafone, and Sky all use Eircom lines, and all UP TO 100mb, so it's really down to the packaging they are offering to sway you. 'Imagine' I would avoid as that is 4G, the same as what you mobile is just faster, so network dependent, think Max speed is UP TO 75mb

Other options would be Virgin, uses the old Corus/UPC network, and is UP TO 360mb. Final option would be one of the providers on the SIRO/ESB network. Vodafone are the main providers of that in Sligo as far as I know, they give UP TO 150mb for same price as their 100mb on Eir lines, or UP TO 350 for a higher rates. SIRO/ESB lines are actually capable of UP TO 1000mb in places.

I have capped 'up to' as the Max speed advertised is not guaranteed, and all comes down to line quality, distance from exchange/cabinet, etc etc.
    Thanks for that but wondering why Pure in particular get such a hammering on Social media sites. That's why I was looking for opinions from Pure customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I was with Vodafone for about 10 years on a broadband only deal. I had too pay extra for the calls. The cost of that was 38.00 a month. These days most calls are by mobile, so landline was rarely used.

They are notorious for their customer service via phone. But they can be easily contacted via chat on their website or via "talk to" here on boards.

I had to move away from them in June because eir installed efibre directly to my house and Vodafone do not provide that service unfortunately.

I'm with eir now but have gone with similar package where calls are extra. Cost is less than 10 Euro more. But now I'm getting 120 mb broadband instead of 3mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jordi1910

I was with Pure for 18 months (contract) , however it was broadband only plan. The service itself was ok,but as people mentioned before most of the providers renting lines from Eir. Customer service was OK on beginning but bit worse when was closer to the end... The worst thing was few increases during contract period. I started at 36 euros per month and paying 44 at the end. Of course they gave me information that I can terminate contract if I don't agree for a new price but I didn't want to sign anybody else for another 18 months as I'm only renting etc.
    Now I'm happy having Siro from Vodafone.

Jordi1910 wrote: »
    I was with Pure for 18 months (contract) , however it was broadband only plan. The service itself was ok,but as people mentioned before most of the providers renting lines from Eir. Customer service was OK on beginning but bit worse when was closer to the end... The worst thing was few increases during contract period. I started at 36 euros per month and paying 44 at the end. Of course they gave me information that I can terminate contract if I don't agree for a new price but I didn't want to sign anybody else for another 18 months as I'm only renting etc.

How are you finding SIRO? Did it take them long to get you connected?

Mint Sauce wrote:
    How are you finding SIRO? Did it take them long to get you connected?

I found it very good. I'm using it since end of October. I stayed with 150Mbps option as for me it's more then enough. I signed contract with the rep (he knocked to my door on Friday) and on Monday morning engineers installed box etc. As I signed for it just when it was introduced to the area where I'm living I got it free for first 3 months and 40 euros per month after. The contract is unfortunately 18 months long. The only one thing which I don't like is bad looking cable on the front wall and box installed on it. Of course I could avoid it, but wanted Internet directly to my living room.

T-Bird wrote: »
    I was with Vodafone for about 10 years on a broadband only deal. I had too pay extra for the calls. The cost of that was 38.00 a month. These days most calls are by mobile, so landline was rarely used.

They are notorious for their customer service via phone. But they can be easily contacted via chat on their website or via "talk to" here on boards.

I had to move away from them in June because eir installed efibre directly to my house and Vodafone do not provide that service unfortunately.

I'm with eir now but have gone with similar package where calls are extra. Cost is less than 10 Euro more. But now I'm getting 120 mb broadband instead of 3mb.
    I'm with eir fttc up to 60Mb, more than enough for me. Very happy with service but my bb+phone bundle costs 65e {out of contract}. Pure costs 48e over 18 months for better bundle. That's why I'm tempted. Eir came down a couple of euros for new 18 month contract but not enough.

• Advertisement

Jordi1910 wrote: »
    Was it fibre u had with Pure? What speed were u getting? Was it reliable?

Jordi1910 wrote:
    I found it very good. I'm using it since end of October. I stayed with 150Mbps option as for me it's more then enough. I signed contract with the rep (he knocked to my door on Friday) and on Monday morning engineers installed box etc. As I signed for it just when it was introduced to the area where I'm living I got it free for first 3 months and 40 euros per month after. The contract is unfortunately 18 months long. The only one thing which I don't like is bad looking cable on the front wall and box installed on it. Of course I could avoid it, but wanted Internet directly to my living room.

I was offered the same deal earlier this year, free for three months, 40 for three, then regular. Unfortunately at time, SIRO/Vodafone had not updated their systems to say I could get it.

Since updated, but have read long waits for engineer to come out, have to get new box, and it has to be within a certain distance of the ESB box/metre. New placement would suit me, but would be interesting to hear others experience.

Mint Sauce wrote:
    I was offered the same deal earlier this year, free for three months, 40 for three, then regular. Unfortunately at time, SIRO/Vodafone had not updated their systems to say I could get it. Since updated, but have read long waits for engineer to come out, have to get new box, and it has to be within a certain distance of the ESB box/metre. New placement would suit me, but would be interesting to hear others experience.

I got offer with 40 euros per month until end of contract (after first 3 free). I don't know what is regular price anyway, but recon few bobs more.
    Anyway I have that box installed approx 12-15 meters from my meter, however the house have quite new cables etc.
    Fingers crossed that you will be able to get it soon as I thin it's worth and you probably won't get any better broadband in Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I'm with eir fttc up to 60Mb, more than enough for me. Very happy with service but my bb+phone bundle costs 65e {out of contract}. Pure costs 48e over 18 months for better bundle. That's why I'm tempted. Eir came down a couple of euros for new 18 month contract but not enough.

I'm ftth and 150 option is slowest option and 1000 is highest. I think I get mid 120mb on average.

Personally if I was in your situation I would change to Pure. I shop around whenever a contract comes to an end for everything and always go for cheapest. But not everyone is willing to take a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Can you get Virgin Media where you are?

T-Bird wrote: »
    I'm ftth and 150 option is slowest option and 1000 is highest. I think I get mid 120mb on average.

Personally if I was in your situation I would change to Pure. I shop around whenever a contract comes to an end for everything and always go for cheapest. But not everyone is willing to take a chance.
    I agree, but if you read Pure's own facebook page they get awful criticism!! Strange.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Can you get Virgin Media where you are?
    No, but if I lived on the other side of the street I could!

You know what to do so :)

But if moving house doesn't appeal, contact eir, tell them you can get virgin media for €35 a month for 12 months with all mobile calls included. They won't know you can't get it. Their cancellation team will give you an offer to stay. It would be worth seeing if you could combine your mobile phone with it as you might make further savings there. I wouldn't overly recommend their TC service unless you're not fussy about tv. But again if you combine it with the broadband and phone you might make more savings.

Sky do deals too but they don't include calls to mobiles.

You know what to do so :)

But if moving house doesn't appeal, contact eir, tell them you can get virgin media for €35 a month for 12 months with all mobile calls included. They won't know you can't get it. Their cancellation team will give you an offer to stay. It would be worth seeing if you could combine your mobile phone with it as you might make further savings there. I wouldn't overly recommend their TC service unless you're not fussy about tv. But again if you combine it with the broadband and phone you might make more savings.

Sky do deals too but they don't include calls to mobiles.
    Tried that but they don't seem too bothered about keeping customers. Came down a little. I will try one more time. Thanks.

The trick is to have a rival offer that they can work towards rather than just asking for money off.

• Advertisement

The trick is to have a rival offer that they can work towards rather than just asking for money off.
    Worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Have you considered Sky? Its usually a 12 month contract and you should get it (fibre) for €40 a month. If you want unlimited land line calls then its an additional €7.50. There's also free 1 hour calls to 20 different countries including calls to mobiles in far away parts.

As stated earlier you dont get any free Irish mobile calls though.

muffler wrote: »
    Have you considered Sky? Its usually a 12 month contract and you should get it (fibre) for €40 a month. If you want unlimited land line calls then its an additional €7.50. There's also free 1 hour calls to 20 different countries including calls to mobiles in far away parts.

As stated earlier you dont get any free Irish mobile calls though.
    I was actually onto Sky this morning. Thinking about it.

Just keep an eye on calls to mobile.

I was actually onto Sky this morning. Thinking about it.
    My contract with Sky was up back in January and at the time I did check the prices with the various providers and on face value Vodafone would have been the cheapest. However, VF, have additional charges for calls to the UK so they would have ended up a couple of euros dearer than Sky.

In my case I have to make calls to the UK so Sky's phone and BB package worked out the cheapest for me but perhaps that may not suit others.

But check out all the providers before committing yourself to a contract.

My contract with Sky was up back in January and at the time I did check the prices with the various providers and on face value Vodafone would have been the cheapest. However, VF, have additional charges for calls to the UK so they would have ended up a couple of euros dearer than Sky.

In my case I have to make calls to the UK so Sky's phone and BB package worked out the cheapest for me but perhaps that may not suit others.

But check out all the providers before committing yourself to a contract.
    Pure coming out cheapest through One Big Switch. Unlimited bb, unlimited any time landline calls and unlimited anytime mobile calls in Ireland for 45e for 12 months and 55e for 6 months. I don't make U.K.calls. Averages out about 48e per month over 18 months. What do you think? I'm tempted.

Pure coming out cheapest through One Big Switch. Unlimited bb, unlimited any time landline calls and unlimited anytime mobile calls in Ireland for 45e for 12 months and 55e for 6 months. I don't make U.K.calls. Averages out about 48e per month over 18 months. What do you think? I'm tempted.
    If it includes calls to mobiles and you dont need to call UK land lines then it looks a decent enough deal.

Cant comment on Pure though as I have little knowledge of them.

If it includes calls to mobiles and you dont need to call UK land lines then it looks a decent enough deal.

Cant comment on Pure though as I have little knowledge of them.
    Same here! Something just holding me back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

colm_mcm wrote:

Tried that with them 2 weeks ago and no joy. Will be ringing to actually cancel today as contract is up 30 days from tomorrow so we'll see what they have to say. We were thinking​ about getting tv and internet in but the price is more than we can justify. (We don't watch tv much during the week!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

has anyone been with digiweb ?

Advertisement