Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance

Options
  • 03-08-2017 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Basicly my mom has council house and im living with her i pay £25 a week on this rent allowance card the council sent me but i was wonderin if this would help me get social welfare rent allownace to so i can move out of my moms im on a disibility allowance also so im not working

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

19Rene wrote: »
    Basicly my mom has council house and im living with her i pay £25 a week on this rent allowance card the council sent me but i was wonderin if this would help me get social welfare rent allownace im on a disibility allowance also so im not working

"You cannot get Rent Supplement to help you pay rent to your parent if you are living in the family home. "

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Squatter wrote: »
    "You cannot get Rent Supplement to help you pay rent to your parent if you are living in the family home. "

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

Guessing that doesn't apply to the OP (£).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 19Rene

I want to get rent allowance to get my own apartment so i can move out

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

....im on a disibility allowance ....

Have you got a keyworker? A support agency? Someone who advocates for you? They should be helping you plan to move to living independently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Basicly my mom has council house and im living with her i pay £25 a week on this rent allowance card the council sent me but i was wonderin if this would help me get social welfare rent allownace to so i can move out of my moms im on a disibility allowance also so im not working

Are you living in ROI or NI/UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Not sure how it works for someone on DL but i think you have to go on the council house waiting list now days dont you?i could be wrong.then i think you can apply for rent allowance or whatever its called nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 7 19Rene

Are you living in ROI or NI/UK?
    Im in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Im in ireland
    There will be different rules for each part of Ireland, so people need to know which part. People are picking up on the fact that you said you pay 25 pounds (not euros). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Last time I tried to get it (2011) I was told you had to
    1) Get assessed as having a 'housing need', and get put on the council housing list.
    2) Be in the rented accommodation I wanted to get the rent allowance for for a period of 6 months with proof of rent paid
    3) Have references from previous landlords
    4) The rented accommodation had to have a rent that was under a certain figure. At the time, this figure was (for shared accommodation) 45.00 per week. And then I was to be expected to contribute 30.00 towards that.

Unfortunately, there was no actual accommodation that cheap anywhere, the limits were totally unrealistic. I was told this was to encourage renters to 'negotiate', ie: get the landlord to say you're paying 45 even if you're paying 60 p/w.You check the limits on your area online.

With all the hoops to jump through, and not wanting to leave my current accommodation which at 250/month was above the a limit, for a max of 15.00 p/week I did exactly what I figure the new rules wanted me to do and just didn't bother and paid it all out of my dole.

In 2007 I got it by simply filling out a form and having my landlord sign it.

It really annoys me when you hear people moaning how it's so easy to get all this free stuff off the government, when it really isn't anymore, ironically it was easier to get it when less people needed it before the recession.

However, the fact you are on disability Nd not jobseeker's might make a big difference and it often depends on who works your case, so I would suggest talking to whoever deals with your claim and you'll get a much clearer picture. I do know a friend on disability who for rent allowance and help with a deposit, basically got everything set up for him.

Also be aware it can be hard in some areas to find a landlord that will even take rent allowance, and that 25 per week is a very good deal. I pay 50 /wk to live at home currently but I have lived independently most of my adult life and if you haven't done that yet I can understand wanting to, but even with help, RA, etc it is tough to afford without the wages of a full time job. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 trebor45

can you get HAP from one local authority if you find a place to live in another ? eg application with DCC but found a place in Fingal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement