Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling & Camping.

Options
  • 03-08-2017 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Hoping to do a bit of this fairly soon. No big long distances, 50 - 100 KM per day along some of the WAW in the Northwest. Would like to hear your tips or advice on what to bring. Here's my latest list of essentials:

Bike, panniers/bags, lights, pump, tubes/levers, wet weather cycling gear.
    Tent, sleeping bag.
    2 t shirts, shorts, socks, runners, T roll!, T brush+paste, deodorant, soap, b shorts, phone, money. First aid.
    tools, midge cream!, book.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Gorteen

iPod for pics & music. What about basic cooking gear? Small gas stove / kettle / mug / snack food v full meal? Sleeping mat?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Include a head torch in your light requirements if you haven't already. Kindle is also way better than a book imo depending on how long you'll be cycling.

Wetwipes are a necessity if you ask me.

As above a good mat is super important if you intend to get any sleep done. Make sure you give your gear a once over as well. Won't be much fun finding out you've got a leaky tent when you're on the road already. If you haven't already bought the tent get a 2 man, freestanding one (I used and adore the MSR hubba hubba). A 1 man tent is just too freakin cramped and freestanding gives you more site choices.

A cooking kit gives you more options but adds weight and you've to carry the food about as well but super noodles can be awesome sometimes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

spoke2cun wrote: »
    Bike, panniers/bags, lights, pump, tubes/levers, wet weather cycling gear.
    Tent, sleeping bag.
    2 t shirts, shorts, socks, runners, T roll!, T brush+paste, deodorant, soap, b shorts, phone, money. First aid.
    tools, midge cream!, book.
    Baby wipes and hand santiser might be handier than soap and towels?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

+1 on the head torch.

Thermarest is great for sleeping on. Folds up small but reasonably comfortable too.

We have small chairs that fold up into a neat package, like this:
    https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.ie/p/helinox-chair-one-D3112068.html?colour=3609

Beats sitting on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

This might be helpful:

Bikepacking Essentials With Sean Conway | What To Take Bikepacking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56bkaEyScX0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Have you been camping lately? If not, go camping for a couple of nights first and you will realise what gear you need just for that. You will need plates, cutlery, etc. if you plan on doing your own cooking. Also, a chair is essential unless you are going to stand all the time!

Also a (very) good bike lock...

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

Thanks folks. Excellent advice there. I'll add to the list:
    Kindle
    Head torch
    Wipes
    Bike lock
    I have a small stove and other camping bits n pieces but I won't be far from cafes or bars for my first excursion. I'll bring those along when I go to more isolated places.

Another question. Will I need 4 bags on the panniers or will 2 be enough for this trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

2 panniers will do you. The more panniers you take, the more gear you take.

I'd add a decent fleece jacket to that for cycling in misty showers and walking around in the evenings.

Also tub of Sudocream or Chamois cream.

I'd drop the cooking stuff and get a hot meal once a day. Maybe consider it next time.

Trousers with Zip off legs are good for cycling and getting a pint in the evenings.

Two pairs of footwear are nice as you can change into something different for relief. I don't wear cycling shoes but bring one pair of runners and one pair of sandals. The sandals double up as shower shoes.

Bit of grease or oil for the chain as the air will be saltier than normal.

Greybottle wrote: »
    2 panniers will do you. The more panniers you take, the more gear you take.

I'd add a decent fleece jacket to that for cycling in misty showers and walking around in the evenings.

Also tub of Sudocream or Chamois cream.

I'd drop the cooking stuff and get a hot meal once a day. Maybe consider it next time.

Trousers with Zip off legs are good for cycling and getting a pint in the evenings.

Two pairs of footwear are nice as you can change into something different for relief. I don't wear cycling shoes but bring one pair of runners and one pair of sandals. The sandals double up as shower shoes.

Bit of grease or oil for the chain as the air will be saltier than normal.

Great stuff. I'll post here again when I get it done and let you all know how it went. It'll probably be sometime in September. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

You don't need to bring a chair for one.

Definitely warm clothes and a beanie for night and sleeping in if you're cold.

Pack a couple of black bags they're great for using as a body warmer and pack up to nothing really.

You can pick up dehydrated meals in any decent camp store if you're properly roughing it. They taste grand and are loaded with calories you'll want/need.

You can pick up small microfiber towels you don't need a big bath thing. Baby wipes are grand but a shower is great and has the added benefit of warming you up.

Bottle opener for beer or be sure to buy cans ;)

Good luck and enjoy it's a great country for camping.mild climate and amazing places to escape to a short distance from towns/villages.

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    You don't need to bring a chair for one.

Definitely warm clothes and a beanie for night and sleeping in if you're cold.

Pack a couple of black bags they're great for using as a body warmer and pack up to nothing really.

You can pick up dehydrated meals in any decent camp store if you're properly roughing it. They taste grand and are loaded with calories you'll want/need.

You can pick up small microfiber towels you don't need a big bath thing. Baby wipes are grand but a shower is great and has the added benefit of warming you up.

Bottle opener for beer or be sure to buy cans ;)

Good luck and enjoy it's a great country for camping.mild climate and amazing places to escape to a short distance from towns/villages.

More top class advice, thanks again. Free standing tent and micro fibre towels is something I've never heard about. But going to check it out. How do you go about creating a blog for everyone on here? A virgin bike packer in his backyard!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You just end up soaking inside the bag, unless you are looking to loose body weight (water) quickly use a cheap fleece for warmth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

^^ Or if you like to splash some cash, icebreaker merino wool clothes. Warm when cool, cool when warm and the anti bacterial properties stop them going smelly.

FWIW when it comes to seats I never took an actual one but I did buy a thermarest mattress and bought a doohickey that converted the mattress into a ground chair thing. Only useful when dry mind you but great for sitting up in the sun reading.

If you're just touring about in Ireland then I would also recommend just the two panniers. You don't really need to go full survivor mode, just enough to look presentable when camping for the night and explaining to the landowner what you're doing, some creature comforts like a good mat etc and tools to limp you to the next village in case of mechanical failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Drybags this is ireland it will rain and a wet sleeping bag and wet night stuff is no fun. Wet tent you can live with. If you buy a tent go at least one size too big so 2 or pref 3 man . Means you get all your stuff inside if it rains. Vanga banshee 300 i use and has served me well for years.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You just end up soaking inside the bag, unless you are looking to loose body weight (water) quickly use a cheap fleece for warmth.

My thinking was that cycling in the rain you're already soaked and it acts as a wind breaker thus keeping you warm. I've done this a few times and it works brilliantly but as with most things it's just another opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

My thinking was that cycling in the rain you're already soaked and it acts as a wind breaker thus keeping you warm. I've done this a few times and it works brilliantly but as with most things it's just another opinion.

I can't think of anything more miserable than getting wet, then camping for the night in a wet field, then getting back into wet gear (this being Ireland the chance of gear drying over night is slim). For a day trip it would be an OK compromise but for camping would it not be better to splash out on decent quality water proofs instead of suffering in a plastic sack, it's 2017 not the dark ages? Also getting soaked and having to do it again the next day is a guaranteed way to make sure that you won't do it again.

Agree that the plastic bag is a bad idea. You need a quality rain coat or bike poncho. If I have to cycle in heavy rain I wear shorts as there's less to get wet and chaff.

Take talcum powder as well as it soothes skin and drys stuff out.

Deep Heat is also a necessity for warming up tired muscles.

Take a small container or box of washing powder to give your gear a wash at night and 3 or 4 clothes pegs to make drying easier.

A decent penknife or Leatherman is a great investment and can be kept in the car all year round. No need to go for the biggest version either, the standard one will do.

Ah ask me bollox its not a fashion accessory it's more a last resort type option that packs away into a tiny space.

FFS time for a break from this bloody forum

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

What type of bike shorts would people wear?
    I see guys on youtube who wear sort of summer shorts. Are these padded? I guess they would be handy as an all purpose shorts. Then again with the wet weather here normal bike shorts are probably better.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Have a look at Trangia or similar meths stoves. Bulletproof, you can brew a coffee in the morning, cook porridge etc to get you going.
    Meths won't blow up your tent either :)

KHs7nZ6l.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Biketourer

I would also add to the list a blow up pillow. You can get very cheap ones in halfords for 2 euro. 
    As far as the shorts go I always wear mountain biking shorts with clip in padding if its a long day. They're great because they can be used for walking around in as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Biketourer wrote: »
    I would also add to the list a blow up pillow. You can get very cheap ones in halfords for 2 euro. 
    As far as the shorts go I always wear mountain biking shorts with clip in padding if its a long day. They're great because they can be used for walking around in as well.

Are they ok when wet though? I see some waterproof ones online.

Mine are perfect anyway. Never had any problems and dry fairly quick. I have a couple of pairs of Endura Single Track II Shorts which I bought on chain reaction.

Mine are perfect anyway. Never had any problems and dry fairly quick. I have a couple of pairs of Endura Single Track II Shorts which I bought on chain reaction.

I use a mix of normal shorts and standard cycling shorts. I've a pair of plain white O'Neills football shorts that fit over the cycling ones if I need to walk around somewhere without the tackle on show through the lycra!

The football shorts double up as swimming trunks if I need a swim.

The ordinary shorts are the cheap ones with a couple of pockets that you get in Pennys. They're fine on a bike with a well padded saddle.

A small handlebar bag with a shoulder strap is handy too. Halfords do a good one from Bikehut.

Advertisement