Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your ultimate Irish soda bread recipe

Options
  • 03-08-2017 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

I've been buying a gorgeous loaf of irish soda bread from a Local cafe. I became obsessed with it last year and have it with soup almost every day.

I'd love to make my own (in a loaf tin) and have tried in the past but it's never as nice as cafe/restaurant loafs.. what is the secret?! I've been using MacNean House recipe - https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.rte.ie/amp/744544/

Do cafes etc add loads of sugar or something? How do they get it tasting so so good!?

Would like to hear if people have a fool proof recipe to share!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bobboberson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Tom Kerridge does a beans on toast recipe using soda bread. He may be a Sassanach but he knows his stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Is it soda bread, OP, or wheaten bread? Wheaten bread often had something sweet added. I love Neven Maguire's recipe:
    https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/recipes/2013/0212/744544-macnean-wheaten-bread/

Another one I make often is the Ballymaloe traditional Irish yeast bread - it's really easy and doesn't require any kneading:
    http://www.ballymaloe.ie/recipe/ballymaloe-brown-yeast-bread

They're both like the lovely brown bread served in restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Can these be made in a bread maker? Im in Switzerland and would love a bit of brown soda :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Can these be made in a bread maker? Im in Switzerland and would love a bit of brown soda :o

They probably could if you mix them by hand and just use the Bake setting. They're so easy though, if you have a loaf tin it's simpler to pop them into the oven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

longshanks wrote: »
    Tom Kerridge does a beans on toast recipe using soda bread. He may be a Sassanach but he knows his stuff.

True. His soda bread recipe is good.

Also, his recipe for making baked beans from scratch is very good.
    It takes a while, but it's easy if you plan in advance and they taste great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

They probably could if you mix them by hand and just use the Bake setting. They're so easy though, if you have a loaf tin it's simpler to pop them into the oven.

Agreed.
    There is no need to use a breadmaker to make soda bread, because there is no need for kneading and proving.

However, if you dont have an oven, it should work, but it might be a bit hit and miss the first time on temperature and baking time.

Odlums have a number of soda bread / wholemeal bread recipes which are good and easy to follow.

http://www.odlums.ie/category/odlums-recipes/breads/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I got my recipe years back from a baking class in Waterford - which was taught by a Frenchman :D

But still, I find it to be one of the best soda breads ever:

350g coarse wholemeal flour
    50g plain flour
    50g porridge oats
    pinch of salt
    2 level tsp of bread soda
    2 eggs
    1 tbsp of sunflower oil
    500ml of buttermilk
    1 tbsp of black treacle

Mix is up, sprinkle the bottom of the bread tin with sunflower and pumpkin seeds before pouring the mixture in.
    One you filled it into the tin, sprinkle the same seed mixture over the top.

Bake at 170 for 1 hour, then remove the bread from the tin and put it back in the oven for another 20 minutes.

Advertisement