Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard post delivery

• 03-08-2017 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

If you send a card just before 5:30pm with An Post, will it get to the person the next day with standard post?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Depends on last post pick up times. Here it's 5pm, so delivery would certainly not be next day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Depends on where it's going as well. I find same county and picked up before last collection time, then yes, next day is usual. Another county can be another 24 hours I've found. But in saying that, I don't use the postal service a lot for sending letters within Ireland.

Yawns wrote: »
    Depends on where it's going as well. I find same county and picked up before last collection time, then yes, next day is usual. Another county can be another 24 hours I've found. But in saying that, I don't use the postal service a lot for sending letters within Ireland.

County doesn't really matter as it's moved to a central sorting location. I have had next day delivery across the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Well like I said, it was in my experience that anything posted within county was delivered next day, anything outside county was another 24 hours on top. Most likely I'm just unlucky as I really don't use it that often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

Every post box has time of last collection .
    So if you get in box before that time an post say it normally be next day.
    That's my reading of it.
    The post box I use is beside main post center and is six but others around town are earlier 4.30, 5pm depends on route they are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

as above - get it before the collection time and delivery should be following day.

Wriet address clearly so that the auto readers can read it - if its scribbled it has to be sorted manually and that causes delay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I think they have a 95% rate on next day delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

The target is 94% next day delivery if posted before the last time of posting. Anything posted after this today will not be due delivery until weds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

One rural box I know has a 230pm time

Don't worry about early collection as the postman has to scan each box to prove the time of collection and I know of cases where the collector was questioned as why they scanned a box at 529pm

Listen there's boxes with a 9.15am collection time. And the scanning is monitored hourly.

Plus it makes no difference in county or not. All mail goes to hub. Don’t worry about handwriting. Gets validated on line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

SPDUB wrote: »
    One rural box I know has a 230pm time

Don't worry about early collection as the postman has to scan each box to prove the time of collection and I know of cases where the collector was questioned as why they scanned a box at 529pm

Does the same apply to PO collections? Had issues twice with them taking the bags before closing and refusing mail.

ED E wrote: »
    Does the same apply to PO collections? Had issues twice with them taking the bags before closing and refusing mail.

Yes he would have scanned for those bags after whatever the collection time for that office and that post is which isn't necessarily closing time .

I think you mentioned this problem before and I since checked with someone I know that does collections and he said it sounded like you got a jobsworth since he would have taken your letters even if it meant getting a bag resealed since he was still there and able to accept them .

He also said that if the man is taking the bags to his van and then refusing anything else before his scanning time then he shouldn't be doing that and he could get into trouble if people complained

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The more recent one was a two part job.

The van driver took the bag before closing and then the teller refused to accept it as registered cannot sit in the PO overnight. When hours are so narrow crap like that really doesnt endear you to the public.

ED E wrote: »
    The more recent one was a two part job.

The van driver took the bag before closing and then the teller refused to accept it as registered cannot sit in the PO overnight. When hours are so narrow crap like that really doesnt endear you to the public.

I agree it would have been a moments work to give him another bag for your registered item .

At the very least it's a jobsworth attitude that gives a company a bad name .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,440 ✭✭✭✭L1011

SPDUB wrote: »
    I agree it would have been a moments work to give him another bag for your registered item .

At the very least it's a jobsworth attitude that gives a company a bad name .

Very likely didn't even work for An Post but a postmaster instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,616 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

5:30 sounds late for last post. Here it's 4:15.

I use AnPost a fair bit and I find if it makes last post then it's delivered in ireland the next day.

The required last time of posting is to have a 5.30 collection near the commercial centre of a town (as defined by the cso as being over 1500 population) as per comreg decision of 2001. All business collections and meter mail are 4pm.

The target is 94% next day and 99.5% within 3

Everything goes to a hub so if I'm writing next door it still goes to a hub and back out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

L1011 wrote: »
    Very likely didn't even work for An Post but a postmaster instead.

Its funny I would have said the opposite.

Postmaster gets paid per transaction, company office get paid regardless of transactions

Therefore less likely that a Postmaster would turn away business.

Also a Postmaster would know that there is no issue with keeping a reg mail item overnight as we do it all the time as a result of our earlier mails collection times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Far far cheaper - similarly with food and many other items.

Imagine the time and cost of shifting through thousands of items to find a few staying in that delivery area,?

Costs would go through the roof.

Instead, all mail goes to a central hub - Portlaoise or Dublin, put on a conveyor belt and auto address readers scan the address and put it into the relevant route.

Where the reader can't decipher the address, tge item is pushed aside and sorted manually.

In food, there's an item manufactured in Cork about 5 min from Marks and Spencer, its shipped to the M&S distribution centre in the UK, sorted in the various stores and shipped back out including to their Cork store.

• Advertisement

And much more post is going far beyond the local area. It's efficient, cost effective, and most importantly it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

just wondering if there are different postal charges for different area's? I sometimes buy a few dvd's from adverts, I can get 2 dvd's from Limerick for 2.20 yet it costs 4.10 to get 2 from Dublin, I live in Wicklow, can anyone enlighten me a little. haven't tackled An Post about it yet.

Thanks Fred, just got 2 from a lady in Dublin have had a good chat with her about it she seems genuine ,it's her first time selling dvd's as she's moving house, i'll contact An Post--- just something that's bugging me. thanks for your input, have found most on Adverts to be very fair.

decky1 wrote: »
    just wondering if there are different postal charges for different area's? I sometimes buy a few dvd's from adverts, I can get 2 dvd's from Limerick for 2.20 yet it costs 4.10 to get 2 from Dublin, I live in Wicklow, can anyone enlighten me a little. haven't tackled An Post about it yet.

Large envelope v small packet.

If the dvd's are in cases and packed one on top of the other, it will exceed the 25mm thickness of "large envelope" and is treated as a "small packet"

Use a card backed envelope and put the dvd's side by side to keep thickness under 25mm. (they usually allow 2-3mm grace.

The reason for the price difference between the two is a large envelope will fit in almost all letterboxes whereas a small packet usually requires postperson to ring doorbell and hand over the package - time costs money.

think I might bring 2 to my local Post office to see what they charge.

Advertisement