Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviva ins.- alarm and immobiliser=prem.decrease?

Options
  • 03-08-2017 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

got a temporary insurance disc from aviva..
    in the documents they sent me it says i told them that my car didnt have an immobiliser or an alarm--i did not tell them this. my car DOES have an immobiliser and alarm.

i rang today to change this detail coz i thought it might affect the premium (might bring it down) but the guy on the phone said it doesn't affect it at all and thats its only for "my security".

surely if i have an alarm and immobiliser there a less chance of car being broken into than if i didnt have either?? therefore my premium should be reduced?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

gercoral wrote: »
    got a temporary insurance disc from aviva..
    in the documents they sent me it says i told them that my car didnt have an immobiliser or an alarm--i did not tell them this. my car DOES have an immobiliser and alarm.

i rang today to change this detail coz i thought it might affect the premium (might bring it down) but the guy on the phone said it doesn't affect it at all and thats its only for "my security".

surely if i have an alarm and immobiliser there a less chance of car being broken into than if i didnt have either?? therefore my premium should be reduced?

Alarm / immobiliser dmay have been a deterrent in the 90s but nowadays proper criminals are very savvy with their thievery.

An alarm / immobiliser will not stop professional criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Strange that the companies still ask about alarm/immobiliser so?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I bet you didn't tick "car has alarm/immobilser fitted" box. Ask for a copy of the proposal form.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If it's a fact that they're interested in and they ask it on the proposal form then it stands to reason that it should be to your benefit (i.e. lower the premium) if you can tick the box. That or they simply won't quote without it which doesn't appear to be the case. I suspect they don't want to refund the OP the difference so the call agent is fobbing him off.

Some of the insurance companies do say in the policy document that if there is a change which affects the premium midway through the year and it involves an amount of less than xx euros then they will disregard it, this might be the case here but the OP isn't being told.

Advertisement