Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewiring quote doubled, is this normal?

Options
  • 03-08-2017 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

My aunt is in the middle of getting her house rewired and has been told instead of the 1200 quote it is now going to cost 2400. Is this possible or is she dealing with a cowboy?
    It is a small terraced house, about 60 years old.
    She is on social welfare after caring for her parents and is going to have to get a credit union loan to pay.
    Fair enough if they found a bigger job than expected, just wondering is this price in the normal range?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,012 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Did she not get multiple quotes

If not.

Why not

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It is not mormal to have a house rewired for €1,200 or to have the price doubled without good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,442 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What is the basis for the increase? What exactly does the quotation say? Is the aunt asking for more work? Is there something unforeseen that a reasonable electrician couldn't have expected?

It might be worthwhile accompanying your aunt when such things are being discussed and any payment made.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

1200 is very cheap.

it depends on what was in the contract. if the contract was for minimal work and then when the job starts work has to be added to the contract then that's ok. should be discussed before continuing though

if they are doing the same work but charging more then they are chancing their arm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Without knowing the details it's hard to say why, in principle, a quote should double.

That said, a quote for €1,200 should always have been rejected as it simply isn't possible for the work to be done at that money. In fact it's a long way out even for the most straight forward installation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Thanks for the feedback. Family will call in at weekend to suss out what's going on but just wanted an idea of the normal price range of rewiring.
    She went with a local builder(small town)and don't think anything is in writing. Think he's saying it's a bigger job than he originally thought so just need to find out the details. Just seemed a bit of an extreme jump in price to me, feel bad for her caught out like that. Ah well.

Risteard81 wrote:
    That said, a quote for €1,200 should always have been rejected as it simply isn't possible for the work to be done at that money. In fact it's a long way out even for the most straight forward installation.

2 uncles were doing the labour side of things to keep costs down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

In Ireland no electrician would get out of bed for less than €2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,442 ✭✭✭✭Victor

GaGa21 wrote: »
    2 uncles were doing the labour side of things to keep costs down.
    By "labour", do you mean they are electricians or that they are doing the labouring - cutting chases, etc.?

Haven't a clue to be honest. I just know house is like a building site at the minute.

Edit-they are digging up floorboards, taking off the light switches etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Haven't a clue to be honest. I just know house is like a building site at the minute.

I would be very concerned about the standard and safety of a house rewire that cost €1,200. In fact I doubt it would be possible to buy the materials for this little.

You need to insist on receiving a completion certificate. It would also be highly advisable to get the installation independently inspected. If this is not possible get another electrical contractor in and make sure they are registered.

This guy is registered. I think he gave a cheaper quote cos he's local and knows the aunt but I just can't understand the 100% increase in price. Will just ask him for new quote in writing and see how it came about.

This guy is registered.

That's good to hear.
    I think he gave a cheaper quote cos he's local and knows the aunt but I just can't understand the 100% increase in price.

It's simple really, he massively underpriced the job. Maybe he had the best of intentions, attempted to do your aunt a favor and then realized that he couldn't even cover is costs.
    Will just ask him for new quote in writing and see how it came about.

Good idea. Make sure the quote details everything room by room and states that the installation will comply with current regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

Even at €2400 it is a very good deal if it is a full rewire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

there is no way a fully compliant rewire could be done for €1200.

he would nearly be working for free with the cost of materials.

even at €2400 thats a very good price,

a basic 3 bed semi with the minimum work been carried out would be about €3k.

and this will increase from September with new cable regs been introduced driving the price of materials up even further.

like whats been said above, he may have taken the job on as a favour without seen the scope of the works to be carried out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

My guess is that you have someone starting out their own business and have underpriced the job. I don't think 2400 will do the job tbh. As for the quality of the work they must be reci registered and provide a cert of the work.
    If they are not registered I wouldn't let them back in to finish it off.

Advertisement