Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sale agreed, solicitor appointed but need to withdraw offer -charges?

Options
  • 03-08-2017 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Currently sale agreed, but due to reasons beyond my control I have to pull out of the sale. I've paid a booking deposit which I understand I will get back as no contracts signed. As far as I am aware, my solicitor has only received the contract from the vendor today. What charges will I have to pay my solicitor? Just the professional fee or all of the extras for searches, etc? If I find another property and go sale agreed will I be charged yet another professional fee?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

jayjay2010 wrote: »
    Currently sale agreed, but due to reasons beyond my control I have to pull out of the sale. I've paid a booking deposit which I understand I will get back as no contracts signed. As far as I am aware, my solicitor has only received the contract from the vendor today. What charges will I have to pay my solicitor? Just the professional fee or all of the extras for searches, etc? If I find another property and go sale agreed will I be charged yet another professional fee?

Thanks

Maybe is the answer to everything here!

Best thing to do would be ring your solicitor as soon as possible.
    It will all depend on how much work they have done, mightn't have been anything yet really and once you do get another place in a reasonable time they will be happy to just get a professional fee for that sale alone.
    I would find it hard to believe they could charge you the full fee if they just received the contracts.

Its holiday season anyway, so for once that might play to your advantage here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

We had to pull out of a sale due to issues in the deeds, we lined up another property a week later. Our solicitor charged us for a small bit of admin work, no more than 100e for the initial house.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If he only received contracts his work was really only beginning. As others have said you would only expect a small admin fee especially as they are aware you will be buying somewhere else soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

Thanks a mil guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Gruffalo22

jayjay2010 wrote: »

Thanks

Did you get all of your deposit back from the auctioneer or did they withhold anything?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Hold on now, admin fee before work has even started?! I have appointed a solicitor based on advice (on here and elsewhere) to have one lined up. I've gone as far to get quotes and pick one out and to tell her, I want you to be my solicitor. Am I facing admin fees if nothing ever happens?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

qrx wrote: »
    Hold on now, admin fee before work has even started?! I have appointed a solicitor based on advice (on here and elsewhere) to have one lined up. I've gone as far to get quotes and pick one out and to tell her, I want you to be my solicitor. Am I facing admin fees if nothing ever happens?!

What did your solicitor say when you asked them?

Graham wrote: »
    What did your solicitor say when you asked them?

Not something I've felt the need to ask, nor will I be asking as I'm sure asking questions incurs a fee. I guess I'll wait and see. Hard to see how they can charge me anything although I'm sure they will try. Estate agents and solicitors, what a slippery business this buying a house is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

qrx wrote: »
    Not something I've felt the need to ask, nor will I be asking as I'm sure asking questions incurs a fee. I guess I'll wait and see. Hard to see how they can charge me anything although I'm sure they will try. Estate agents and solicitors, what a slippery business this buying a house is.

If you go SA and they work on it only for you to pull out later then yes they can charge you for their time, would you work for free?

If you go SA and they work on it only for you to pull out later then yes they can charge you for their time, would you work for free?
    No I wouldn't. Would you charge someone when you haven't actually done any work over a technicality? Again, I wouldn't. SA should not trigger the clock, the clock starts once you actually start doing work. Now maybe we're not getting the full story, maybe the solicitor did actually do some work.

But if its a case of ah you've gone sale agreed and now you are pulling out I'm going to charge you €100 admin fees for the hassles. Come on, what hassle? You haven't actually done anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm sure the op got sorted out a month ago when he first posted :)

Advertisement