Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Can't tell which is more upsetting atm, Ireland's snow drought or Ireland's World Cup drought.

At least there's a chance of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭pauldry

There will be snow some day in late November or December and itl make up for Danish exhibition match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

I hate when headline say "Ireland's cold snap is about to end and we can enjoy mild weather for the next week"...i don't enjoy mild weather, i really hate mild weather in November and especially Winter...are they clueless that people actually want snow and cold weather, not bloody mild weather!

Not everybody likes snow. Most people would prefer sun and crispy cold weather to mild wet and miserable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

the lower grade banging on about some unprecedented cold winter or hot summer just around the corner, and the higher grade...

I really wonder if there is any real disparage between the so called 'higher' and 'lower' grade media outlets in terms of actual quality output. The higher grade may have more long-winded articles with the odd fancy word thrown in the attempt to give it some illusion of substance, but IMO, they are no less biased, and no less out of touch, when it comes to pretty much any topic to be honest.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

The 12Z gfs is getting interesting again out around 200 hrs plus i.e. 24th Nov ish
    Some support for the evolution from the UKMO

All way out in FI ( but not ridiculously so as to ignore the trend that's viewable over the hill) but it would pull minus 16 to 20 850 air in from Scandinavia eventually
    Interest remains anyhow ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Models in complete disarray at the moment, beyond day 6 is anyone's guess. Could be warm south westerlies or freezing north easterlies.

When are they not in disarray is the question?
    It’s like every other week now models have something at day five or six that they don’t know what to do with
    But that something usually does what humans expect it to do ie we get our normal weather

Mother Nature is the super computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I hate when headline say "Ireland's cold snap is about to end and we can enjoy mild weather for the next week"...i don't enjoy mild weather, i really hate mild weather in November and especially Winter...are they clueless that people actually want snow and cold weather, not bloody mild weather!

I’m not so sure outside of a majority on this forum and school kids if people want snow and cold weather. Commuters farmers outdoor workers the elderly etc etc i think would rather mild calm weather. So whilst I agree reporting on the weather is clueless I’d strongly argue that the snow love in is replicated universally.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Great news on that research into pressure variations, a kind person sent me the whole file in an e-mail attachment and I have been crunching away on it. I was prepared to spend quite a few hours creating the file, didn't know it was available in this form.

So look for some results from that analysis, at first glance it appears that Oneiric3's December pressure signal holds up over the long term, and since I have the entire year available, can say there's a few other seasonal variations you might not expect, but I need to check my formulae carefully before assuming the profiles I just created are valid. As I found out, it only takes one extra comma or one wrong cell location to introduce nasty errors.

This data set is for a grid point north of Dublin (54N 6W) but I don't think that will make a lot of difference. I will try to link my posts to the data file although I already know it's too large for boards to treat as an attachment to a post. There are 164 years of data (four times daily) making almost 240k entries in the file.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    If one was to make a long range prediction based long term averages alone, I wonder if one could make maybe make fairly reasonable long-range forecast? though of course, weather rarely follows a set pattern on a year by year basis.

However, this chart I generated showing the 1981-2010 MSLP pattern (based on a running 7 day period) for the country as a whole for the winter season, does show a fairly interesting pattern, with 3 major 'dips', occurring at specific intervals, namely: end of December, mid-late Jan and mid Feb, which would indicate that, on average, the most unsettled spells of the Winter season are likely to occur at these times. Same would with peaks, which would suggest 3 or 4 relatively settled periods to occur at fairly specific intervals in the season.

sni.png

Data from the ECMWF.

As far as the December pattern shown above, the longer-term data have a similar appearance although the amplitude (as you might expect taking more data) is about half or perhaps a little more than half of this recent period (it is a higher fraction if you average the data on the assumption of a gradual forward shift in time). It may look larger than that but keep in mind that I am using unsmoothed data and Oneiric3 was using a 7d running mean which will tend to make for smaller amplitudes (timing would be less affected).

I have lined up with Oneiric's graph (visually as close as I can) the actual lowest pressure readings after 21 December (to 2 Jan) in the following graph of 20-year averages starting 1851-70 and ending with 1991-2010. Times are from the four-daily series. Pressures are in each case 1000 mb plus amount shown. This series strayed over into 1 Jan during 1931-50 then back into late December.

1851-70 ____________ 09.4 _ 26th 00z
    1871-90 _____________09.4 _ 28th 18z
    1891-1910 ___________ 04.9_ 29th 12z
    1911-30 ______________02.3_ 30th 12z
    1931-50 ______________ 08.5 _ 1st 06z
    1951-70 ______________07.7 _ 30th 06z
    1971-90 ___________06.7_ 20th 12z
    1991-2010 ____________08.1 _ 30th 06z

The phenomenon came a bit early 1971-90, which half overlaps Oneiric3's period of 1981-2010 so I generated a separate 30-year filter for Dec 1981-2010 and found that the lowest pressure in that was

1981-2010 ___________09.5 _ 25th 06z

This is quite similar to what Oneiric3 found and is 9 mb lower than the earlier peak (12th 00z).

Meanwhile, for the entire period of record this is the late December pressure minimum.

1851-2010 ____________09.4 _ 30th 12z

The late December troughs of pressure are in some cases not the lowest in December altogether (as was the case in 1981-2010). But there is usually a peak in pressure around mid-December too, as in 1981-2010, those values (maximum for the second half of the month, except 1971-1990 where the effect was noted earlier than other periods and a higher pressure occurred towards the end of the month) are as follows ... this graphic also shows the drop in pressure towards the end of the month:

1851-70 ______ 14.2 (17th 18z) ______ -4.8 mb (8.25 d)
    1871-90 __________ 15.7 (26th 12z) __ -6.3 mb (2.5 d)
    1891-1910 ______ 18.5 (21st 12z) ____-13.6 mb (8.0 d)
    1911-30 ______ 17.4 (17th 12z) ______-15.1 mb (13.0 d)
    1931-50 __________ 20.1 (23rd 12z) __-11.6 mb (8.75 d)
    1951-70 _________16.9 (21st 12z) ____ -9.2 mb (8.75 d)
    1971-90 ______ 11.0 (16th 00z) ______ -4.3 mb (4.5 d)
    1991-2010____ 21.1 (15th 12z) ______-13.0 mb (14.75d)

and for comparison

1981-2010 ____16.4 (15th 12z) _______ -6.9 mb (9.75d)
    ___ note higher before 15th by 2-3 mb __

for the entire period of record (1851-2010)

1851-2010 _______13.4 (21st 12z) ____ -4.0 mb (9.0 d)

ANALYSIS:

The first thing worth noting is that my grid point which is slightly northeast of Oneiric3's data grid has not led to any obvious discrepancies in the analysis, the 1981-2010 data look very similar. I did not run a 7-day smoothing function on my data so we're looking at actual timing of max and min values.

It appears that this pressure wave has been a constant except for some period in the 1970s which was an interval of frequent blocking patterns. It was particularly strong from about 1891 to 1950 (perhaps a longer overlap of other intervals) and seems to be getting stronger again recently.

One possible cause that fits the slight lateward drift in the 20-year intervals would be a Sun-galactic centre resonance effect. It is possible that this amplifies lunar tides as well around late December. So the effect may be related to ocean circulations and might be discernible in other climate regions. It would make sense to find opposite pressure signals in different climate regions too, as it must balance out somehow.

The Sun is crossing the galactic equator a bit later each century, for example in the first century the Sun crossed the galactic equator around 30 Nov rather than 21-22 Dec as nowadays (this is due to the long cycle (26,400 y) of precession of the earth's axis) although the drift shown for the pressure signal here is slightly larger than the drift in dates implied by precession, which is about 2d per century. I may get a better insight into this by studying the time drift shown by any other pressure oscillations. Another factor that would speed up the lag effect (making it go faster with relation to the calendar) would be any connection to the earth's magnetic field since the North Magnetic Pole has been moving more westward in recent decades, so if anything is generated within that grid it would arrive later downstream, differentials in the 19th century would be smaller as the NMP was then either nearly stationary or moving slowly northward. Having the field stronger and focused further south could also be factors that would generate an earlier arrival. My working idea (early stages yet) would be some sort of effect generated over eastern North America or the western Atlantic around the time of solar-galactic alignment then sent downstream by travelling systems that would normally take 3-5 days to reach Ireland. I am aware of a similar effect in Toronto temperatures indicating a slight second-order peak around the time of this effect (without the 3-5 day lag).

But the main point is that the effect that Oneiric3 discovered in the data was not confined to the interval 1981-2010, and may have been stronger at times in the past, as we might expect in a stronger magnetic field with greater air mass contrasts.

I will take a similar look at the pressure wave that he found for 1981-2010 in January in the next few days. A caveat is of course that this is a background phenomenon, a 10-15 mb pressure wave while quite significant is the equivalent of a weak frontal wave, a stronger low will create a pressure wave of 30 to 50 mbs at least. But if we could find a cause and effect explanation for any of this, it would advance our understanding considerably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Interesting, for a part of the world with such chaotic and constantly shifting weather patterns that's a fairly strong signal over such short periods. Nothing obvious jumps out as to what could be causing it, as with most things in weather I suspect a complex combination of things far beyond my understanding! Would be interesting in reading more about it though

As to the mysterious early shift of the phenomenon in the 1970s apparently, I had a look at the actual data for second half of December of those years, finding this which may explain how the interval got such an early average:

Dec 1971 had a min of 994 mb on 19th followed by very high pressures in the last ten days of the month.

Dec 1972 had a min of 994 mb on the 28th (close to the long-term effect)

Dec 1973 had a min of 980 mb on the 22nd followed by rather high readings

Dec 1974 had a rather flat pressure trend most of late Dec then very high 30th-31st

Dec 1975 had rather high pressure readings but the trend was close to long-term rather than the anomalous signal.

Dec 1976 similar to the long-term rather than anomalous signal

Dec 1977 had a min of 990 mb on the 24th

Dec 1978 had rather low pressures throughout the latter half of Dec

Dec 1979 had a min of 993 mb on the 27th

Dec 1980 had a very low min of 975 mb on the 20th and higher values near end.

So if appears that the 1970s to 1980 portion of that anomalous 20yr interval was caused mainly by about three out of ten years. This is bound to happen occasionally when a background effect is buffeted around by stronger transient signals. I was surprised to find the trend as consistent as it showed itself to be generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I’m not so sure outside of a majority on this forum and school kids if people want snow and cold weather. Commuters farmers outdoor workers the elderly etc etc i think would rather mild calm weather. So whilst I agree reporting on the weather is clueless I’d strongly argue that the snow love in is replicated universally.

I now recoil when I hear the word 'mild' uttered by any of our TV weather people. It has come to mean relatively warm, humid, wet / dampish and otherwise out of season weather. It's when buds on trees and daffodils are unfairly tricked into thinking that - hey winter is gone already - let's get going but alas way to early.

For farmers, horticultarists and gardeners such weather spells problems with regard to disease, pests, growing conditions and plant growth.

Cold conditions are essential for reducing such pests and diseases and helping the breakdown of soil in preparation of seed sowing and crop growth...

To my mind the term 'mild' is best reserved in late spring when conditions are improving and the cold of the previous season is receding or even early Autumn when the weather has yet to change into a colder winter cycle.

'Mild' should not mean yucky unseasonable weather imo....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Seems to have gone back to our standard milder and wet weather lately. Why do I feel like any chances of a cold snap is slipping away.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055948304/64/#post69033898

The excitement beginning 7 years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Ken Ring posted here back then:eek: Has he left here long?

Yes but the blocking was to the northwest not Baltic regions
    So none of the event was a true easterly
    Mostly north or northeasterly and there was no return to cold or a deepening of it in January

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Loughc wrote: »
    Seems to have gone back to our standard milder and wet weather lately. Why do I feel like any chances of a cold snap is slipping away.

Very end of the ECM run seems hopeful? FI and faint, but the potential seems to be there...

ECH1-144.GIF?16-12
    ECH1-240.GIF?16-12
    ECH0-240.GIF?16-12

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

and since I have the entire year available, can say there's a few other seasonal variations .

Interesting M.T. I have the entire year available on my dataset also (which only goes back to 1957 admittedly) so would be interesting to compare and contrast sometime.

I still have to get around doing up a comparison chart with the 1981-2010 average against 1961-90 and 1971-00. (and other 30 year means within this period perhaps), but just so bloody wearied out in the evenings lately. Getting auld! :o

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yes but the blocking was to the northwest not Baltic regions
    So none of the event was a true easterly
    Mostly north or northeasterly and there was no return to cold or a deepening of it in January

Yes but we still got a cool January which was beautifully sunny. I wouldn't mind that any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I remember buying a big snow shovel in Lidl at the beginning of January 2011, still waiting to use it! :D Its somewhere in the shed covered in dust and cobwebs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

nagdefy wrote: »

I read back over the thread. Talk about a guy who couldn't admit he got it wrong.. He tried to equate himself with MT:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

I read back over the thread. Talk about a guy who couldn't admit he got it wrong.. He tried to equate himself with MT:D

Can anyone explain to me why MT is held in such high regard? Can anyone explain his methodology regarding weather prediction?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

jaffusmax wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me why MT is held in such high regard? Can anyone explain his methodology regarding weather prediction?

Genuinely just discussed this on here! Look back over the thread.

These things have all been discussed in some detail before, so I'm just going to add two things very briefly, not wishing to dismiss your question, just to say I don't really think there is a "high esteem" factor in play, I just happen to be the person in this forum who makes the most long-range forecasts and perhaps they haven't seemed as terrible as most that are out there, but I certainly wish they were better and that's I am working on with my research. Maybe one day I will feel like I could say that the standard of these forecasts has reached a consistent "B" if not "A" level but over recent years it has been a variety, on the other hand, the tabloids seem to be more or less a consistent F, or maybe a D on a good occasion.

So it's a fairly low bar for anyone who makes a halfway conservative forecast in this business (and by business I mean mostly hobby although I have made a few bucks in the past from long range forecasts, it's too little reward for too much effort nowadays to try to sell them, but I might return to that one day if I feel like the demand would justify the pay wall that would be needed, can't sell what you've said for free on the w.w.w.) ...

and as to methodology, I think this is fairly widely known around here, I have a research model that crunches hundreds of years of data for several locations and generates "index values" based on my theory that our atmosphere is responding to changes in the solar system magnetic fields. This is somewhat aligned with a developing scientific field called "space weather" which is somewhat more of the short-range version of my longer-term forecasting. But anything I forecast in the "reliable time frame" of 5 days or less is standard meteorology based on computer models and done the same way everyone else in the field does it, any edge I may or may not have is based on a lot of experience looking at weather maps, basically, and my research may help me out once in a hundred cases where I have some ideas about how maps may trend closer to an event, but the basic idea is, long-range from me is research based and short-range is done how everybody else in this field does things, any perceived differences are based on personal skill levels higher or lower as the case may be.

When one model says warm and another says cold in ten days' time, I am as confused as anyone else, but I can peek in at the research output and see which way that goes, sometimes that has helped me choose the right door. If it were always so, then my research model would be generating 100% accurate output and I would be trying to sell the method, but I have always been quite up front about this, the research is plodding along in the experimental zone and I don't consider it anywhere near to being a finished product, and at the age of 68, I am not optimistic that I will get this done in my lifetime, especially if I keep posting on the internet. ...
    (goes back to research) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Oh yes Mr Ring was a feature, but I think he only lasted one season

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Interesting M.T. I have the entire year available on my dataset also (which only goes back to 1957 admittedly) so would be interesting to compare and contrast sometime.

I still have to get around doing up a comparison chart with the 1981-2010 average against 1961-90 and 1971-00. (and other 30 year means within this period perhaps), but just so bloody wearied out in the evenings lately. Getting auld! :o

You're not auld, I am.

So, I had a look at your January pressure wave and saw some evidence for it longer term but there's a better and more time focused fit long term for the February mid-month trough and late month pressure rise that you demonstrate for 1981-2010. I will post the details on that later.

As to the rest of the year, the annual pressure cycle is basically low in winter and higher in summer but there's an interesting trough in August between one peak around late June and another one in mid-September. I haven't had time to look at how those evolve through the 160 years of data.

There is also a period of lower pressure near the end of October compared with most of November. Some days in late October get down pretty close to the winter minimum values.

Were you aware of any of those from your 1981-2010 work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Thank you for the reply MT, it's such a big task for one man with one lifetime. Maybe someday you will have a weather event named after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

These things have all been discussed in some detail before, so I'm just going to add two things very briefly, not wishing to dismiss your question, just to say I don't really think there is a "high esteem" factor in play, I just happen to be the person in this forum who makes the most long-range forecasts and perhaps they haven't seemed as terrible as most that are out there, but I certainly wish they were better and that's I am working on with my research. Maybe one day I will feel like I could say that the standard of these forecasts has reached a consistent "B" if not "A" level but over recent years it has been a variety, on the other hand, the tabloids seem to be more or less a consistent F, or maybe a D on a good occasion.

So it's a fairly low bar for anyone who makes a halfway conservative forecast in this business (and by business I mean mostly hobby although I have made a few bucks in the past from long range forecasts, it's too little reward for too much effort nowadays to try to sell them, but I might return to that one day if I feel like the demand would justify the pay wall that would be needed, can't sell what you've said for free on the w.w.w.) ...

and as to methodology, I think this is fairly widely known around here, I have a research model that crunches hundreds of years of data for several locations and generates "index values" based on my theory that our atmosphere is responding to changes in the solar system magnetic fields. This is somewhat aligned with a developing scientific field called "space weather" which is somewhat more of the short-range version of my longer-term forecasting. But anything I forecast in the "reliable time frame" of 5 days or less is standard meteorology based on computer models and done the same way everyone else in the field does it, any edge I may or may not have is based on a lot of experience looking at weather maps, basically, and my research may help me out once in a hundred cases where I have some ideas about how maps may trend closer to an event, but the basic idea is, long-range from me is research based and short-range is done how everybody else in this field does things, any perceived differences are based on personal skill levels higher or lower as the case may be.

When one model says warm and another says cold in ten days' time, I am as confused as anyone else, but I can peek in at the research output and see which way that goes, sometimes that has helped me choose the right door. If it were always so, then my research model would be generating 100% accurate output and I would be trying to sell the method, but I have always been quite up front about this, the research is plodding along in the experimental zone and I don't consider it anywhere near to being a finished product, and at the age of 68, I am not optimistic that I will get this done in my lifetime, especially if I keep posting on the internet. ...
    (goes back to research) ...

As a longtime lurker, part time poster I would like to take this chance to thank you so very much for your years of dedication, generous sharing of information and accuracy which I do not see in other forums or indeed mainstream forecasting. With respect, anyone who Has to ask why you are so respected, it is clear that person hasn't been observing for long and is a new member to this forum. Love the work you do, appreciate your insights and have had time due to this forum and your good self to Prepare when weather is about to affect my life, and for that, I am deeply grateful.

The fact you do this in your free time and share so generously, well that re-affirms my faith in human nature. Thank you sir. Much much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Seems there are already signs of high pressure building in the Mediterranean. Not good news for the coming weeks as they can be very hard to shift. It'll be a while before we see any potential easterly outbreak if this situation verifies.

Advertisement