Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

esposito wrote: »
    watch?v=ClgYM7fmjLQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClgYM7fmjLQ

Skip to 10:10 for the Christmas Day forecast from 1995. I'd love Christmas to be like this.

Totally agree Elmer, would much rather the cold kicked in well into December not late November.

Remember that cold spell well :) Frontal snow towards the New Year. More snow late Jan 1996 and a very cold February 1996.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

highdef wrote: »
    Going by the forecast temperatures, that makes no sense at all

True, however - the BBC only give "City Centre" temperatures on those mixed maps. I would love to see the corresponding temperature map for Wednesday...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Could be plenty of interesting weather in the next few days with quite an unusual and complex setup, Tuesday through to Friday looks very active with a lot of developing shortwaves and a lot of cold air in the mix

Lots of rain, wind, hail, potential for thunderstorms, hill snow etc..

Not what a lot of people will be wanting I'm sure but an interesting few days of weather watching ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Mixed feelings. I love sunny frosty weather but am suspicious of winters that are early starters. I feel the same way about summers that start in April and May, it usually means a poor summer. November 1988 was cold and frosty and followed by the most shocking winter I've ever experienced when a Euro high or a Bartlett as some call it remained stationary for weeks on end.
    I would gladly take a month more of mild weather and get a PROPER winter.

Rrea00119881121.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1989/Rrea00119890116.gif
    I would settle for a short cold snap next weekend then let the Atlantic take over for a couple of weeks leading up to Christmas and then have a blocking high over us over the Christmas period leading to sub zero temperatures and some of the white stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

I would settle for a short cold snap next weekend then let the Atlantic take over for a couple of weeks leading up to Christmas and then have a blocking high over us over the Christmas period leading to sub zero temperatures and some of the white stuff.

Not asking for much so!

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Not asking for much so!
    Well one can only hope. It happened in 2010 so you never know.

Signs of the stratosphere over towards Siberia warming up on the GFS 18z. Got to say, if we come close to a SSW which I'd highly doubt at this stage, it is not a terribly good sign for cold lovers. A SSW event, according to previous occurrences, in December tends to be bad for cold Winters - in stark contrast to Januaries with SSW events which tend to be excellent!

ESdQ5Nn.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    North America lean / Siberia lean

Almost sounds like something you'd ask the butcher for.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

Had my second winter fix this month again was lucky to time my holidays with the cold north westerly airflow this weekend,this is from a village called Sumiac in Low Tatras(Slovakia)at 900m.asl,one of many spectacularly remote settlements,where 50k will land you an amazing wooden type traditional house in the middle of unspoiled nature a home of many wolves and bears,back to Ireland today so know what to expect

IMG_20171119_125600.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Periscal wrote: »
    Had my second winter fix this month again was lucky to time my holidays with the cold north westerly airflow this weekend,this is from a village called Sumiac in Low Tatras(Slovakia)at 900m.asl,one of many spectacularly remote settlements,where 50k will land you an amazing wooden type traditional house in the middle of unspoiled nature a home of many wolves and bears,back to Ireland today so know what to expect

IMG_20171119_125600.jpg

You need to upload the picture to boards
    We don’t have remote access to images on your phone

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

IMG_20171119_125600.jpg

You need to upload the picture to boards
    We don’t have remote access to images on your phone
    How do I do that?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056120994&page=7

We're never going to see the likes of this again are we? People up all night discussing snow and weather. 2010 what a beaut of a Winter.

How do I do that?

Go to the full site version of the thread there’s a button at the bottom
    Then edit your post and click on manage attachments
    That will give you an option to choose a file from your phone
    Select the pic then tap upload
    Then close the window and save the edit

You need a minimum of 50 posts I think to have that option

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Loughc wrote:
    We're never going to see the likes of this again are we? People up all night discussing snow and weather. 2010 what a beaut of a Winter.

Depends how long you live

Depends how long you live

Yeah my Grandfather died nearly a 100 in 1984
    So he saw 82 63 47 and 1917 amongst others

If this were to come to fruition, there would be no pesky above average height anomalies/pressure to the south to ruin the chances of cold:

https://twitter.com/WinterExpert/status/932501411371405312

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

If this were to come to fruition, there would be no pesky above average height anomalies/pressure to the south to ruin the chances of cold:

https://twitter.com/WinterExpert/status/932501411371405312

Please don’t be quoting him here. He’s the most racist bigoted individual some of us have come across on Twitter.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Please don’t be quoting him here. He’s the most racist bigoted individual some of us have come across on Twitter.

How so? I've found his tweets informative and we're friends in all on Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Yeah my Grandfather died nearly a 100 in 1984
    So he saw 82 63 47 and 1917 amongst others

1933 was another good one he'd have seen.

• Advertisement

nagdefy wrote: »
    1933 was another good one he'd have seen.

I remember 1982 Winter very well. I never thought we would see the likes again in my lifetime and when the big freeze hit in 2010 i considered myself to be very fortunate to have experienced that particular weather event. Although the 1982 weather event gave us two days of non stop snow the thaw set in fairly quickly and with in a day or so the roads and schools were back open. 2010 will always stick in my memory for the fact that temperatures had dropped to minus ten in my area which i and many others had never seen or felt the likes of before and most likely will not experience again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

natashaob6 wrote: »
    2010 will always stick in my memory for the fact that temperatures had dropped to minus ten in my area which i and many others had never seen or felt the likes of before and most likely will not experience again.

Yea exactly 2010 seemed more like a full weather event as opposed to just a heavy snowfall. I don't think we'll see the likes of 2010 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Loughc wrote: »
    Yea exactly 2010 seemed more like a full weather event as opposed to just a heavy snowfall. I don't think we'll see the likes of 2010 again.

Don't forget the winter of 2009/10 and Nov/Dec 2010 were both exceptional cold spells. Yes statistically they are rare, but they are as likely to occur in any particular winter with the right recipe as not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

How so? I've found his tweets informative and we're friends in all on Twitter.

Just had a quick skeg down his feed and he does seem to throw in the odd politically motivate post, which does seem out of place a little. Not sure I'd call them 'racist' as such, but it is quite clear he is pushing a particular narrative.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

There was also a prolonged cold spell during January 2010. Came across these pics recently that I took on the 4th of January in the Wicklow Mountains (a good excuse to share because they are fairly epic in terms of snow). The Freelander 4x4 seen in the first image remained there for several weeks.
    (Please don't quote with images)
    DSC02493.jpg~original

DSC02501.jpg~original

DSC02488.jpg~original

DSC02484.jpg~original

DSC02483.jpg~original

DSC02481.jpg~original

DSC02462.jpg~original

DSC02521.jpg~original

DSC02520.jpg~original

DSC02464.jpg~original

WOW some fantastic photos there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Amazing pictures Highline. Makes me sad when you are all talking about these epic historic winters when all I saw was maybe 0.5cm total snowfall over all those fabled winters. That's the downside of being in the centre of the country.

kod87 wrote: »
    Amazing pictures Highline. Makes me sad when you are all talking about these epic historic winters when all I saw was maybe 0.5cm total snowfall over all those fabled winters. That's the downside of being in the centre of the country.

If you're in the midlands though, on average, you should be getting more snow as land is colder than sea in Winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

If you're in the midlands though, on average, you should be getting more snow as land is colder than sea in Winter.

True, it gets very cold during cold spells but very dry normally. The problem is always lack of precipitation making it inland.

• Advertisement

kod87 wrote: »
    True, it gets very cold during cold spells but very dry normally. The problem is always lack of precipitation making it inland.

I guess so, less evaporation and less condensation.

Advertisement