Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Extremely worrying! If we get stuck in a rut like this it could last a very long time like 88-89 and 97-98. If it happens I'll see yiz in March! Sorry for the negativity but as I said, worrying.

UW144-21.GIF?30-06

Just a tad Ott there, one chart at day 6 is never going to dictate 3 months of weather - never mind the fact it's not as bad as you make it out, check the NH charts for the real picture.

The models seem all over the place still - that storm in the Pacific seems to be causing all sorts of problems, albeit they seem to keep pushing out any very cold shot. A battleground scenario seems to be a new theme appearing also.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I looked at ECM and GFS 24hrs beyond that and they're holding out for cold so...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

snowing in parts of the uk atm. twitter is in overdrive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Just a tad Ott there, one chart at day 6 is never going to dictate 3 months of weather - never mind the fact it's not as bad as you make it out, check the NH charts for the real picture.

The models seem all over the place still - that storm in the Pacific seems to be causing all sorts of problems, albeit they seem to keep pushing out any very cold shot. A battleground scenario seems to be a new theme appearing also.

Agreed on winter not being over obviously it’s not started and it’s a long long way to the first of March

But current output has any cold always 5 or 6 days out at its nearest
    Not only that but it’s weak cold like what we have had this week so entirely useless
    I don’t see anything remotely interesting at the moment unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Agreed on winter not being over obviously it’s not started and it’s a long long way to the first of March

But current output has any cold always 5 or 6 days out at its nearest
    Not only that but it’s weak cold like what we have had this week so entirely useless
    I don’t see anything remotely interesting at the moment unfortunately

The Atlantic/milder weather never seems to be too far away does it. I’m hoping and praying we get a potent cold blast just after Christmas as for me that’s the ideal time when most of us have a few days off to enjoy it. Who knows what’s in store for us this winter. Intriguing times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Winter has a long roller coaster ahead just like any year, so no need to get all emotional about it when tomorrow is the first day of meteorological Winter - astronomical Winter does not even start 'til December 21st. Winter can get going as late as March, as seen from 2013. It can get going as late as April, as seen in 1983, 1986, 1998 etc. It can get going in the second half of January, as seen from 1947. Basically saying that it's a long way down before we can confirm to lay our backs on Winter and move on for the rest of 2018.

Nothing in my analogues were pointing towards an interesting December anyway. I wouldn't mind a second consecutive non-interesting or benign December either to be honest. I've had enough interesting Decembers in the 2010s..... December 2015 on its own was a bit too much.

I think I better begin working on my analogues for the season that everybody is so interested in right now, Spring 2018 :D.

Think some people expect to see this every year:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Very light snow shower in central London an hour ago, big thick flakes too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Winter over? Get out of that garden. I remember 7 inches of snow being dumped on us one day last March....it ain't over.....it hasn't even begun.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Extremely worrying! If we get stuck in a rut like this it could last a very long time like 88-89 and 97-98. If it happens I'll see yiz in March! Sorry for the negativity but as I said, worrying.

UW144-21.GIF?30-06

The ECM 12z has the Azores High in the middle of the Atlantic but it's so big and stubborn that it's completely blocking off the zonal flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Next few days look good mild dry and calm perfect weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

UW144-21.GIF?30-06

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

This is very interesting...

434907.png

...quite a NW wind with bitterly cold air diving in - could be an interesting windchill with possible snow developing on the back of the cold front. I'd wager there'd be quite a squall line also!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

So looking at all the data presented and I know it's only winter in like 10 minutes from now. The only month that is statistically possible and probably possible for Snow so I cant go to work, is actually January. Not to be SO double O centric but I live here. F***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

First post of winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

First morning of the winter, low of 3.5c and no ground frost.

Hopefully not a recurring theme!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

JCX BXC wrote:

JCX BXC wrote:

Cars and estate roads were thick with frost in D24 this morning.

Hopefully a recurring theme!ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Place is white here this morning. Recorded my lowest temp so far this season -3.8c

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Casement --3.6 °C this morning, Gurteen -3.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Serious CAA here, at our latitude you'd expect a synoptic like this to occur more often then it does... but i don't think we have seen a forecast synoptic like this actually occur in a long time.

Sharp enough

gfs-0-150.png?6

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Very cold out there this morning and lots of frost around, lovely morning! :)

• Advertisement

Serious CAA here, at our latitude you'd expect a synoptic like this to occur more often then it does... but i don't think we have seen a forecast synoptic like this actually occur in a long time.

Sharp enough

gfs-0-150.png?6

Yeah the likes of that would foster serious West Coast snow showers eventually even or especially into limerick and Clare because it’s deep enough to wash out Atlantic maratime influence and just get on with the job of creating strong convection in eventually cold enough sky to surface air for snow at sea level

It’s the gfs 6Z though

While I don’t see where sustained useful Cold is going to come from,the fact the mighty ecm can’t get things right at T-96 means anything’s possible
    The above would certainly be wonderful eventually for the north north west and southwest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Loughc wrote: »
    Very cold out there this morning and lots of frost around, lovely morning! :)

perfect winter weather, bright, sunny and frosty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Very hard frost this morning car frozen over roads slippy. Not nice for commuters early this morning. Lovely bright sunny day now here’s hoping it stays dry and frost free for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Still bitterly cold here in Kildare. Frost still in shade and on cars

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the frost here melted very early again this morning, frost free since 9am.

Gonzo wrote: »

Earlier here,in fact at 7am there was no sign of frost because it was very windy here
    Min was 2c
    There was ice in a sheltered yard
    Currently 5.7c in brilliant sunshine in Arklow and flat calm
    Assuming no wind tonight it should get very frosty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Gonzo wrote: »

still got pockets of frost in the shade here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

JCX BXC wrote: »

Lucan was covered in frost, 1C

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

certainly won't be a frost here tonight with a think blanket of cloud. Milder over the next 5 to 6 days with temps edging into double figures almost everywhere.

• Advertisement

Gloriously sunny down here in Arklow still with a nice white cover on lugnaquilla visible
    Currently 4c

Advertisement