Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Windy blustery weather Weds into Thurs

tempresult_ihe8.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The conditions tonight are extremely changeable, currently a fabulous shallow fog which can be seen under the moonlight, about 10 minutes ago it was entirely foggy and heavy drizzle.

West Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Things are shaping up nicely. Model runs this morning are still good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

2017 has recorded 90 spotless days so far, the most since 2009.

srEHRt9.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Not s bad morning at all bit overcast and cloudy but thankfully no ice or frost to contend with and even a bit of birdsong. Got out for a run and hassle free drive ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

So here in Southern Poland, Here is my update.
    We have entered quite a cold period of weather, Our 3rd major snowfall event happened this week.
    Highest fall was about 28cm at our height (650m) and over 80cm above 1500m.
    Coldest recorded temperature has been -16.2c so far, which was Saturday morning last week.
    Hope you get some snow at the end of the week.
    435189.jpg
    435190.jpg
    435191.jpg
    435192.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Northern blocking and a nonexistent PV is the dominant theme looking into FI on the models - Cold and snow chances will never be far away as long as this is the case. The Scandi-Iclandic High and resulting easterly scenario has popped up in deep FI on the past few GFS runs, a new trend to watch for perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

See this popping up on youtube. Will watch it later. It'll focus on the UK but it was a great winter here too.

nagdefy wrote: »
    See this popping up on youtube. Will watch it later. It'll focus on the UK but it was a great winter here too.

And for anybody who would like to have a read of Ireland's conditions during the said Winter, here is Deep Easterly's super article that celebrated the 50th anniversary of this fantastically cold Winter:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82279809

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

sryanbruen wrote: »
    And for anybody who would like to have a read of Ireland's conditions during the said Winter, here is Deep Easterly's super article that celebrated the 50th anniversary of this fantastically cold Winter:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82279809

Ah memories!
    I was seven at the time, and I'm pretty sure that the preceding Christmas Eve, I remember snowflakes starting to fall, really heralding the imminent big day. After Christmas, we walked to school in waist high snow - it was in Birmingham. (my waist was a lot nearer the ground then, not to mention its much tidier girth:eek:)

• Advertisement

Tomorrow looking dry and reasonably mild thankfully. It’s very dark at this tint of the year which can be tough. Wednesday looks wet though.

It’s very dark at this tint of the year which can be tough..

To be honest that doesn't bother me that much, I rarely have business outside at the time of year in the often poor weather. Infact there are some positives to the darkness.

Watching that video of 1963 and you wouldn't exactly be calling snow 'white gold' after it!!

It brought back memories of many winters and freeze ups at home since 1980. All the hardship, frozen water, animals without water and fodder etc. The people digging for hours on end in that video.. There's often a terribly claustrophobic feeling to being snowed in in remote, hilly rural areas which is hard to describe to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

JCX BXC wrote: »
    To be honest that doesn't bother me that much, I rarely have business outside at the time of year in the often poor weather. Infact there are some positives to the darkness.

Oh I find leaving work in the dark and getting up in the dark (although it’s bright by the time I get the train) horrible.

Could be worse. The sun sets at 3:30 in Inverness this time of year. Sunrise is later than Dublin too.

The fact that days are shorter and nights are longer is one of the few things I do not like about Winter.

The fact that days are shorter and nights are longer is one of the few things I do not like about Winter.

Just on that BBC 1963 documentary you, and others, might be interested in the meteorological charts and explanations!

From 39min 30sec or so til the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I like it. There is nothing like snow falling and accumulating on a winter night in the countryside. The silence and the magical sound of snow crunching under your feet.... I really miss that.

ps. An interesting BBC forecast a while ago with Phil Avery.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/42231565

Looks like MT is back so we'll have another good opinion on the upcoming weather to add to the basket, however it's not like we're short at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

Caroline on the way.

OldRio wrote: »
    Caroline on the way.

Is she?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

OldRio wrote: »
    Caroline on the way.

Bit rude coming unannounced... I don't have any biscuits in for her..

She has been announced. BBC news and some other news services.

Met Eireann yellow warning issued:
    STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare and Kerry
    An Atlantic storm will pass close to the north coast of Scotland on Thursday morning. The UK Met Office have named it Storm Caroline. Severe winds will affect parts of Scotland, but it will generate strong and blustery winds over Ireland also.
    Northwest winds of 55 to 65 are expected to gust 100 to 110 km/h - strongest winds in coastal areas and over high ground.

Issued:Tuesday 05 December 2017 14:06
    Valid:Thursday 07 December 2017 03:00 to Thursday 07 December 2017 20:00

Can't see it being any bit significant in Ireland however.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This is actually one of my favourite things about this time of year - the short daylight hours. I am probably unique in this regard but I start getting opposite equivalent of 'SAD' when there is a notable 'stretch' in the evenings once they come into play in early Feb.

New Moon

Loughc wrote: »
    Bit rude coming unannounced... I don't have any biscuits in for her..

I did tell you. You still have time for a bit of shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    This is actually one of my favourite things about this time of year - the short daylight hours. I am probably unique in this regard but I start getting opposite equivalent of 'SAD' when there is a notable 'stretch' in the evenings once they come into play in early Feb.

I am the same.

I tend to sleep better in Winter. I am a light sleeper and the long periods of darkness helps. In the summer the heat, kids outside screaming and shouting at 10.30 in the evening and the short nights make me the summer scrooge or Dr Kelso from Scrubs.

God I hate this time of the year. Dark going to work dark coming home I love the long summer evenings and especially the odd sunny warm one we get. Had a long commute with work today so perfect weather today really no ice frost strong winds or heavy rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

God I hate this time of the year. Dark going to work dark coming home I love the long summer evenings and especially the odd sunny warm one we get. Had a long commute with work today so perfect weather today really no ice frost strong winds or heavy rain.

That's about to change from tomorrow.

That's about to change from tomorrow.

Yeah saw the forecast after the news looks like rain tomorrow evening and night and then bitter cold Thursday and Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Yeah saw the forecast after the news looks like rain tomorrow evening and night and then bitter cold Thursday and Friday.

It's going to be a shock to the system come Thursday morning. I'm confident that we might see one or two snow showers here in Tipperary if the the polar air is from a cold North westerely. Over the years I can remember if the polar air pushed down on a Northerly airflow we would get just the odd flurrie.If was a cold North westerly snow showers would push further inland so fingers crossed.

Advertisement