Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

10:30 pm, just checked the temp here in Wilton, Cork City. -1 Degrees with the cars totally frosted over and a bit of ice on the floor at my house too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

could be stormy Friday morning..

gens-19-1-42.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

10:30 pm, just checked the temp here in Wilton, Cork City. -1 Degrees with the cars totally frosted over and a bit of ice on the floor at my house too.
    If you've ice on the floor in your house, you might want to put the heating on.

highdef wrote: »
    If you've ice on the floor in your house, you might want to put the heating on.

Haha!:P Meant outside my house! :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Fantastic frost here, it almost looks like a dusting of snow it's so white! Shame this probably won't last the day by the looks of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Keeping an eye on tomorrow night. Could be a few hours of heavyish snowfall for some. ICON and Hirlam fairly bullish.

hirlamuk-1-41-0.png?28-11

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

HIRLAM is permanently bullish - or add another letter onto that and rearrange it a bit - but the ICON is not usually. Still not seeing anything substantial on the ARPEGE though, which has been my trusted model this winter so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Stunner of a day here now, fog cleared to leave a crisp cool day with a cloudless sky and plenty sun

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Looks like it's the first ice day for me for some time. Temperature is currently at it's maximum so far today, @ -0.1c. I'm in a frost hollow valley in North Kildare and calm conditions like this in winter often leave it colder than surrounding areas in my village

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

We had a very severe frost last night and it made for a lovely seasonal morning which in turn has now thawed due to cloud and patchy sleet in a very cold westerly breeze.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cloudy here now and a slight thaw going on with the frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

highdef wrote: »
    That's the shower heading my way in North Kildare although I'm sure it'll die off before it gets here, as usual.

And die out it did, barely made it over here and all that fell from it was light sleet that wet the road and froze shortly after.
    That pic i posted was from 9am yesterday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, North Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Limerick
    Southwest winds gradually veering westerly will reach mean speeds between 50 and 65km/h, with gusts between 90 and 110km/h. Winds will become strong in the southwest at first and extend northwards later in the night and tomorrow morning.

Issued:Thursday 28 December 2017 16:00
    Valid:Thursday 28 December 2017 23:00 to Friday 29 December 2017 14:00

Currently a freezing cold fog outside here in Cork. Wasn't expecting it, but it is very cold. Feels like winter at least!

The storm seen in 8/20 GEFS members on the 12z has become the Op on the 18z run..

gfs-0-54.png?18?18

In the short term a southeasterly flow will strengthen and veer southwest to west overnight, Belmullet currently SE at 13 knots. WEB_Analysis.png?2149

In the short term a southeasterly flow will strengthen and veer southwest to west overnight, Belmullet currently SE at 13 knots. WEB_Analysis.png?2149

Yea- GFS even has 50 knot gusts into the midlands tomorrow morning. At high-res we could be looking at a bit more...

15-289UK.GIF?28-18

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Potentially Severe and damaging winds gusts in the west on Saturday,met eireann emphasising again to keep in touch with their forecasts and warnings for Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Potentially Severe and damaging winds gusts in the west on Saturday,met eireann emphasising again to keep in touch with their forecasts and warnings for Saturday.

Which parts of the west are most at risk? North west or further south?

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Longford, Louth, Westmeath and Meath

Storm Dylan is expected to affect Ireland on Saturday night /early Sunday morning. Its expected track is northeastwards through Donegal Bay and up along the north-Ulster coast. The biggest impact from the storm will be across Connacht and Ulster where mean winds will reach speeds of 60 to 80 km/h with gusts of up to 120km/h.

Issued:

Friday 29 December 2017 09:00

Valid:

Saturday 30 December 2017 21:00 to Sunday 31 December 2017 06:00

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Munster, Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow and Offaly

Southwest winds from Storm Dylan will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h with gusts up to 100 km/h on Saturday night /early Sunday morning.

Issued:

Friday 29 December 2017 09:00

Valid:

Saturday 30 December 2017 21:00 to Sunday 31 December 2017 06:00

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for South Wexford, Galway, north Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and south Waterford

Overnight and on Friday morning, southwest winds gradually veering westerly will reach mean speeds between 50 and 65km/h, with gusts between 90 and 110km/h.

Issued:

Friday 29 December 2017 00:00

Valid:

Friday 29 December 2017 00:01 to Friday 29 December 2017 13:00

• Advertisement

Holey moley was just out to get sticks there and the wind would cut through ya and its baltic, good job its sweltering in the sittingroom

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Holey moley was just out to get sticks there and the wind would cut through ya and its baltic, good job its sweltering in the sittingroom

LOL I’m glad to see someone else calls the firewood “sticks “
    People think I’m daft in Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

km79 wrote: »
    LOL I’m glad to see someone else calls the firewood “sticks “
    People think I’m daft in Galway

I do aswell

Not as complicated as the whole pike sprong grape discussion though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

We says sticks also. With that in mind hopefully Dylan can provide some more.

Lol, never called them anything other the sticks, i probably should have said firewood, either way their keeping my a*se warm, ha

10pm met reports and some range in temperature!

Valentia 13 degrees
    Sherkin 12 degrees
    Cork 10 degrees

Claremorris 1 degree
    Knock 1 degree
    Newport Mayo 1 degree
    Belmullet 2 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

Had snow there for less than an hour and now rain again. There was never forecast given for snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Had snow there for less than an hour and now rain again. There was never forecast given for snow.

Other than the snow warning yeah?

Blustery in the south and west now

Sherkin gusting 44 knots
    Mace head 42 knots (one to watch in the early hours of tomorrow night/Sunday)
    Valentia 38 knots
    Cork 34 knots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just saw the week ahead forecast on the BBC,they aren't showing much yet for Dylan but mentioned that ME have named it.
    A series of lows until this day next week and then very cold air mass to push the Jetstream south and a high to our south with a low to the North East drawing winds down from the North.

Advertisement