Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

What is a bartlett high

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

What is a bartlett high

A 'Bartlett' High (also referred to as a 'Eurotrash' High) is a very persistent area of high pressure situated over Europe during the winter months - for Britain and Ireland this means weeks or months of very mild though often wet and windy weather under a predominantly southwesterly airflow. The worst possible conditions for anyone wanting cold and snow

2aio3d3.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Irishsneachta

Greencastle Donegal yesterday. 293m up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Greencastle Donegal yesterday. 293m up.

Did you intend to attach a photo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

sryanbruen wrote: »
    If you were to go by the ECM specifically, it would be mild and overcast :confused: - thus anticyclonic gloom.

You'd want the high to be centred over us or further northwards than it shows on the ECM for frosts, sunshine etc.

Not necessarily ,Eastern areas when fronts weren’t passing could be sunny at times if not a lot
    Dublin could be relatively warm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Not necessarily ,Eastern areas when fronts weren’t passing would be sunny
    Dublin could be relatively warm

You would have to be very lucky with dry air coming up from the south or else, you'd definitely not have sunshine. I've seen this kind of situation millions of times and it is certainly not pretty. October 2017, as a recent example, was packed full of them and it was a very dull month with not a lot of sunshine whatsoever. Yes we can get some, but certainly not very sunny days, even anticyclonic gloom spells get some at some stages.

CFSR_1_2017101012_1.png

esposito wrote: »
    Yeah hopefully it will drift northwards for some frosty nights to occur at least. Really hope it dosen’t turn out to be a Bartlett high. What’s the latest on SSW?

The GFS is still going for quite a significant warming towards the end of January and early February, not a SSW but quite a significant warming like the same time last year which will disturb the Polar Vortex in some way.

If any cold does try taking place before a SSW event then the last thing you would want is a SSW, as I've shown before with the likes of February 2009 for example.

H3UeSE2.png

The stratosphere is certainly warming up at least after a very cold January so far for it:

ImIIoWg.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Just watched the RTE forecast with Joanne. It was a very laboured forecast, was anyone watching?

nagdefy wrote: »
    Just watched the RTE forecast with Joanne. It was a very laboured forecast, was anyone watching?

Nope, I never watch the news or forecasts on the TV :P, with the exception of when there's snow involved.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    You would have to be very lucky with dry air coming up from the south or else, you'd definitely not have sunshine. I've seen this kind of situation millions of times and it is certainly not pretty. October 2017, as a recent example, was packed full of them and it was a very dull month with not a lot of sunshine whatsoever. Yes we can get some, but certainly not very sunny days, even anticyclonic gloom spells get some at some stages.

CFSR_1_2017101012_1.png

Millions of times? You’re in transition year,have you even lived millions of seconds yet :p
    Auld farts like me on the other hand look at the round not just a few scattered weather stations :O

• Advertisement

Millions of times? You’re in transition year,have you even lived millions of seconds yet :p
    Auld farts like me on the other hand look at the round not just a few scattered weather stations :O

Well bartlett highs for a start aren't rare for us :p, and I'm a weather historian too - I've looked on archives all the way back to 1851.

Didn't I say to you that I'm in 5th year? :)

This is just about out of the FI period so I'm throwing it in this thread.

Looks like a brief northerly for Thursday next week. This Winter in other words continues with its little teasers.

TPSxryB.png

Hundreds of thousands of seconds then :D
    It’s immaterial anyway,that chart I posted looks a windy southwesterly and the next frame 24 hours later has the high retreating back southwest not Bartlett
    All about as instructive as an ornamental snow globe for forecasting lately

Some people use out to 10 days for ‘signals’ but you wouldn’t want to be betting on it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Some temperature difference across Ireland/UK this morning! 24c.

At the moment, Roches Point +12c and Altnaharra (in Scotland) -12c.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Some temperature difference across Ireland/UK this morning! 24c.

At the moment, Roches Point +12c and Altnaharra (in Scotland) -12c.

Well just four hours later, the Altnaharra temperature stands at +2oC........that a 14oC increase in just four hours!!!😀

D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Stormy morning in Castlebar, highest gust of 84 km/hr and 24.6mm of rain since midnight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM continues to look very windy late Tues / early Weds and the other models are coming on board also with this, a bit to go before knowing exact timing/ strength/ track etc.

ECU1-72_cqy4.GIF

unwM0XE.png

4f16gvJ.png

tempresult_jlx5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Rotten morning here, the rain has cleared to drizzle, breeze is picking up, i know its supposed to be mild now but im not feeling it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Grey ,damp, fields full of water, and more of the same for week ahead. No mention of a wind warning from wet eireann ,even though its extremely windy here in Castlebar.

11c right now at Grange in pouring rain. That's only the second time this month so far that I've reached a daily maximum of at least 10c. It doesn't feel that mild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Horrendous day outside of weather enthusiasts which obviously this forum is quite rightly populated by I really think people are sick and tired of the cold wet miserable conditions that Jan has brought. I know it's Ireland I know it's winter but it's miserable. No let up no dry day no brightness really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Horrendous day outside of weather enthusiasts which obviously this forum is quite rightly populated by I really think people are sick and tired of the cold wet miserable conditions that Jan has brought. I know it's Ireland I know it's winter but it's miserable. No let up no dry day no brightness really.

We can just hope we get a good spring out of it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

You think the weather enthusiasts on here want milder and wet days like today?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Egg ball match in Limerick delayed for 3 hours due to flooded pitch

Seven Worlds will Collide

MJohnston wrote: »
    You think the weather enthusiasts on here want milder and wet days like today?

No but believe it or not lots of people don't want white gold freezing temperatures treacherous driving conditions disruption and higher heating bills either.

No but believe it or not lots of people don't want white gold freezing temperatures treacherous driving conditions disruption and higher heating bills either.

A lot of people would!

However, I don't think anyone has ever said everyone wants this, and I don't think people on this forum appreciates the constant suggestions that we do and the passive agressiveness of these posts! Remember, we don't control the weather! I get the fustrations and the January blues that come with our climate but good God don't insult us on here for discussion something of which is an obvious interest!

So you don't want cold weather, but you don't want mild and wet either, which really doesn't leave much choice for what you realistically would prefer given that it is *January*

I'm not insulting anyone but any attempt to disagree with the prevailing love in of snow here illicits these responses always.

MJohnston wrote: »
    So you don't want cold weather, but you don't want mild and wet either, which really doesn't leave much choice for what you realistically would prefer given that it is *January*

Average temps and a few dry days would be fine.

Average temps and a few dry days would be fine.

But that's not very realistic for January though!

• Advertisement

I'm not insulting anyone but any attempt to disagree with the prevailing love in of snow here illicits these responses always.

I'm not going to get back into this big debate again, but nobody has a problem with you stating that you don't like snow, it's the "how could anyone in their right mind enjoy this terrible weather" (and that's a very mild example, they often come with insults) that illicts the responses that you don't enjoy.

Advertisement