Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

sryanbruen wrote: »
    As soon as I decide to take a break from model watching..... this happened on the GFS 00z this morning :rolleyes:.

EyJCWu0.png

Don't worry,it vanished as quickly as it appeared,on the 06z.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Very active cold front passing down from the north west. Heavy rain and squally winds here in Castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Very active cold front passing down from the north west. Heavy rain and squally winds here in Castlebar

Sudden and unexpected rain storm here about half hour ago. Thought it was hail against the window at first.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

IMG_20180130_183655.png.b94d733c84cd6c846aa316e1f9c2390b.png

Impressive cold air well into the Atlantic from a northwesterly!
    It would be quite something if that -12 air made it all the way here from a north westerly. Has it ever happened before? I know in 2010 we had but that was from a proper northerly feed with modification to contend with.

This is the closest I know of, but for sure colder has happened before sometime:

NOAA_1_1984011412_2.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Raining lightly here near Arklow now 1.3 mm/hr

• Advertisement

Windy,in fact very windy in places

11pm
    Malin head gusting 52 knots
    Mace head 40 knots
    Finner 39 knots
    Newport 39 knots
    Belmullet 37 knots

Very strong winds whipped up all of a sudden here in West Mayo.

Yellow Warning on met.ie

Ok, this is getting a bit ridiculous now :pac:. The PV is getting obliterated here on the GFS 06z with some Canadian warming even taking place now.

IWKj28b.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Ok, this is getting a bit ridiculous now :pac:. The PV is getting obliterated here on the GFS 06z with some Canadian warming even taking place now.

IWKj28b.png

Dry January ended early for GFS it seems :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

IWKj28b.png

What could this mean for our weather here in ireland

• Advertisement

What could this mean for our weather here in ireland

Basically, with the Polar Vortex obliterated, it means blocking will form over the Arctic Circle and allow cold to descend into the mid-latitudes. 2/3 SSW events normally work in our favour believe it or not for cold.

Previously on the model runs, it was only showing warming for northern Europe which looked bad for us cold lovers going by February 1982 as a historical example but now that the PV is literally obliterated and Canadian Warming is going to take place - at least according to today's model runs (it could all look very different in the next runs or tomorrow), it's looking excellent for cold right now. The zonal winds are expected to take an absolute plunge into February going well below 0 m/s - see the updated chart in the tweet. I am kind of skeptical regarding the Canadian warming because CW events usually take place in November or December and is very abnormal to be happening in February.

https://twitter.com/Forecas55175638/status/958705994003025921/photo/1

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/958707018549813249/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fdisqus.com%2Fembed%2Fcomments%2F%3Fbase%3Ddefault%26f%3Dgavsweathervids1%26t_u%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.gavsweathervids.com%252Fcomments-2.php%26t_d%3DSecond%2520Chat%2520And%2520Discussion%2520Thread%2520For%2520GWV%26t_t%3DSecond%2520Chat%2520And%2520Discussion%2520Thread%2520For%2520GWV%26s_o%3Ddefault%23version%3D55961c11ad1f0d062ae1f25f74875183

The stratosphere temperatures at 10hPa have certainly risen in the past day or two:

kelOGtP.gif

If it does come off, it will take minimum two weeks to take effect on our weather. It could happen in two months after the initial event - you can never predict when effects from a SSW will happen to us, but if I were to take a guess, it would be around mid to late March that we would feel the effects of this SSW. The earliest they can happen is late February. If we do get severe cold before this SSW however - as the models are hinting at for next week and the week after then a SSW is not good for cold in this case.

Stormy wet evening here in Castlebar. Mace head currently gusting 57 knots and Newport 51 knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I've no idea what the gusts are here in Achill but I can barely open the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Stormy wet evening here in Castlebar. Mace head currently gusting 57 knots and Newport 51 knots.

N sligo too. A feature on satellite has come down over Northwest with strong winds n hail embedded with thunderstorms

6pm
    Mace head gusting 54 knots
    Newport 54 knots
    Belmullet 51 knots

GFS 12z has followed on from the GFS 06z with a stratospheric warming event during the second week of February. However, it has been downgraded for the 13th February and shows what it showed earlier for that date on the 16th February instead - which is the very end of the run. Not to mention, it seems a bit of a downgrade on the 16th February too because there isn't as severe warming - nor as much Canadian warming going on.

y5w7w0f.png

KQZay9a.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

After 17 really windy days and 12 very wet ones thank God January is now over in the Northwest.

Of the other 19 days at least 13 of them had some precipitation and there was about 4 to 5 dry days.

Also Hail occurred on at least 6 days in Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Castlebar had 288.4mm of rain, making it the wettest January in 15 years, also the wettest month since December 2015, hoping for some nice crisp cold but dry days this month.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Xenji wrote: »
    Castlebar had 288.4mm of rain, making it the wettest January in 15 years, also the wettest month since December 2015, hoping for some nice cold but dry days this month.

Me too, I'm sick of the wet grey mornings. It was nice seeing a bit of sky on the way to work this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Xenji wrote: »
    Castlebar had 288.4mm of rain, making it the wettest January in 15 years, also the wettest month since December 2015, hoping for some nice crisp cold but dry days this month.

Yikes that is a very high total indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Lovely snow capped peaks on the Galtee Mts this morning. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Lovely snow capped peaks on the Galtee Mts this morning. :)

Ditto on lugnaquilla and Croghan Moira in Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Any sign of cold stuff on the ARPEGE?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

gabeeg wrote: »
    Any sign of cold stuff on the ARPEGE?

It's only rolled out to +34 so far. I guess that means another hour before the right frames become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Everyone seems a bit pensive.

123 people online. No-one daring to breathe never mind speak.

Someone call it.

Someone call it.

I'm just trying to keep a low profile here, as I might get myself into some trouble :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Someone call it.

Wet and cold
    Like the last 2 months

km79 wrote: »
    Wet and cold
    Like the last 2 months

I'm waiting for the Kermit De frog thread.

I'm also anticipating the whole thing to go tits up.

• Advertisement

Someone call it.

Yeah it's like a quiet rural pub here
    Meanwhile over on netweather it's
    Like a techno club with people snorting cocaine in the jack's.

I think I prefer to stay in the pub a bit longer...

Advertisement