Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Oh lordy. A blob of pink over me on the radar. I just looked out the window and flakes are falling in D11. Does it qualify as ninja snow if you didn't check the boards for a while ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭highdef

Pwindedd wrote: »
    Oh lordy. A blob of pink over me on the radar. I just looked out the window and flakes are falling in D11. Does it qualify as ninja snow if you didn't check the boards for a while ?
    Yes, it does...I got it too. Ain't it so much better than predicted snow! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Light snow here on northside of Dub, main stuff passed to the north but weakening rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Snowing in swords. Was not expecting this.

Lambay Island is getting heavier snow than I did from that shower :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Lambay Island is getting heavier snow than I did from that shower :/

Very short-lived wasn't it. Trust the radar at your peril...still got a little thrill for 5 mins ;-)

It was obvious there was a snow risk this morning and most of today for at least 3 days. How they miss these things I don't know.

Maybe because you didn't start a thread on it...

But they did mention showers becoming increasingly wintry later in the night. I don't have the full extended forecasts from their site but these were the short-term ones issued yesterday.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/963916286341386241

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/963821443644641280

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Just had a fantastic 15 minutes of heavy sticking snow in Rush, Dublin, (and a smaller shower at 8am).

sun is out now and it's mostly already melted.

Maybe because you didn't start a thread on it...

But they did mention showers becoming increasingly wintry later in the night. I don't have the full extended forecasts from their site but these were the short-term ones issued yesterday.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/963916286341386241

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/963821443644641280

I'm not going to start a thread for a few hours of snow showers. If I did that you would be the first person criticising it. We could have used the old thread but that was closed.

They never mentioned snow to low levels. Some wintry on high ground was the phrase yesterday.

Anyway it's fine for Dublin, not much here. Other areas people will say they did not expect it on their commute. ME really need to wake up from several standpoints, not all forecast related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Edge of a shower here, snow blowing around. Much heavier stuff heading for Gort by the looks of it.

Brief snow now in Tallaght.

I'm not going to start a thread for a few hours of snow showers. If I did that you would be the first person criticising it. We could have used the old thread but that was closed.

They never mentioned snow to low levels. Some wintry on high ground was the phrase yesterday.

Anyway it's fine for Dublin, not much here. Other areas people will say they did not expect it on their commute. ME really need to wake up from several standpoints, not all forecast related.

My first comment was tongue-in-cheek. Relax.

In the tweets above they never mentioned high ground. I don't think there are any real problems with commutes from the few showers that have fallen, but maybe people just haven't reported them.

Not sure what you mean by the Met Éireann comment and don't really care if it's not weather-related.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

Woke up to this, Roscommon

153ttev.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Snowing here at Grange, D13. Quite weak nature as it’s also very sunny.

In North Kildare, turned back after car slid into a ditch. About 3cm on the hill and possibly the slippiest conditions I've ever experienced. Another big area of snow is en route.

Funny thing is that it's almost completely thawed back at my house, less than 50m lower in altitude and about 1km from the hill, as the crow flies. It's amazing how such a slight change in altitude can result in such a vast difference in conditions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ninja snow here in Dunshaughlin! about 1 cm on the ground, it's melting fairly quickly in the sun.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snow shower here again.

very heavy snow here now: Dinnerplates!

Moderate to heavy dinner plate snow in north Kildare a short while ago. 1.5c. Was near freezing during the earlier showers so not sticking to the roads.Barely sticking to anything, in fact. Thaw is well underway now.

highdef wrote: »
    Moderate to heavy dinner plate snow in north Kildare a short while ago. 1.5c. Was near freezing during the earlier showers so not sticking to the roads.Barely sticking to anything, in fact. Thaw is well underway now.

shower stopped here too. Looks like nothing else here now on the radar.

Appears to be a very big shower stretching from Limerick to Kilkenny into county Wexford, some places there could get a fairly decent dusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Complete whiteout here about an inch of grapply hail. I'm surprised no warnings were issued by Met

Gonzo wrote: »
    shower stopped here too. Looks like nothing else here now on the radar.

Appears to be a very big shower stretching from Limerick to Kilkenny into county Wexford, some places there could get a fairly decent dusting.

Possibly another shower for you (and me) in the next hour. There's a shower over North Offaly at the moment, heading east-ish. For us low landers, there won't be any more lying snow. Too warm now and the sun is heating the ground.

Even that area in the south midlands will not give a covering for those on lower ground. I reckon at this stage, you'd need to be over 250m for any chance of lying snow and even at that height, any areas in sunshine following any snow will have a fairly rapid thaw. The sun is gaining strength now and slight coverings melt quite quickly. We'd need a good thick covering to negate the effects of sun melt.

My first comment was tongue-in-cheek. Relax.

In the tweets above they never mentioned high ground. I don't think there are any real problems with commutes from the few showers that have fallen, but maybe people just haven't reported them.

Not sure what you mean by the Met Éireann comment and don't really care if it's not weather-related.

They did say yesterday that the wintry showers would be on higher ground.
    Few accidents here in Donegal this morning. One car upside down on one road. Lorry jacked knived on another one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Was surprised to see it snowing in Dublin 8 this morning. Fortunately it wasn't much and stopped fairly quicky but was getting a little worries when it started

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Heavy sleet and hail in Castlebar, two trucks jackknifed in Tulsk earlier, it is meant to be quite bad around Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

sleety mix in Kilkenny City

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Light snow shower at annagh hill Co Galway 15/02/18IMAG3005_zps7vum479x.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

highdef wrote: »

To be honest if we get a northeasterly or easterly in the next fortnight .. to quote the late great frank Kelly (fr jack) when he had a version of the 12 nights of Xmas on top of the pops in the 70’s or early 80’s
    Your snow today will look like Outlook!! :D

For those among us that aren’t ancient fossils like me,outlook was a religious programme on RTÉ and poor frank was getting so much hardship half way through Xmas with dancing girls and milk maids carrying on with 11 lords a leaping he said it made Sodom and Gomorrah look like outlook!!

Let’s see what happens,I’m not interested in run to run impatience and over analysis right now
    Things will be clearer in a week
    Weather isn’t a Celtic tiger toy,it does not respond to,Give it me now
    I’m still more confident than not confident that we may get something out of this not least because more ensembles on various models say we will but also obviously in the UK met offices considered thoughts which remain bullish on cold ,relying on theory more so than models at the moment if you follow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Woken a few times with almighty gusty showers last night followed by a torturous drive to the airport early
    It is seasonal weather though so to be expected
    Hope we get seasonal weather in summer now too

Advertisement