Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there such a thing an XC Sportif?

Options
  • 04-08-2017 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Here's a question, as a roadie looking to get into some mountain biking over the winter without any inclination to race MTB, is there such a thing as a mountain bike sportif?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Loads, check out the Cooley Thriller for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

If you look up the Nire Valley Drop on facebook - they have one down in Ballymacarbry, Waterford the October Bank Holiday weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Plastik wrote: »

This is a good one. Very tough.
    It caters for everybody.
    Racers and Leisure bikers alike.
    If the weather is bad, it can be very gloopy in places and there are some very technical rocky downhill sections in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

whats the Nire valley drop like? very technical ?
    are these XC sportives doable on a good hardtail (29")with 38c tyres ?
    (is there a conversion chart for 38c to inches 2.X whatever?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I've never done it, despite being close, but friends who have done the Nire Valley Drop report it as being fairly hard-core.....best to await some first hand input

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    I've never done it, despite being close, but friends who have done the Nire Valley Drop report it as being fairly hard-core.....best to await some first hand input

The long one is tough but not very technical.

Lots of climbing close to 1500m on 50km plus route.

Hardtail is perfect. I've ridden large sections of route more than anyone else and with my limited mtb skills manage fine with a hardtail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

The cooley thriller is class. Done short route last yr and instantly regretted not doing long one. Signed up for this yr. Some great trails in the cooley peninsula and this takes in most of them. Caraval atmosphere in carlingford at the start too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

To be clear - The Cooley Thriller is not a sportif ... it's a race! And a tough one too!

C3PO wrote: »
    To be clear - The Cooley Thriller is not a sportif ... it's a race! And a tough one too!

To be even clearer, only for some :) There are plenty out there that just ride it to get around. The same way that non-competitive sportives are ultra-competitive! I've done it. Won a prize too :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

To be even clearer, only for some :) There are plenty out there that just ride it to get around. The same way that non-competitive sportives are ultra-competitive! I've done it. Won a prize too :pac:

Done it myself, a good few times ... and each time I swear "never again"!! :)

The point I was making is that you will need a racing licence to compete (or maybe a "one day" licenece?)

C3PO wrote: »

The point I was making is that you will need a racing licence to compete (or maybe a "one day" licenece?)

Didn't think of that actually. Have a CI licence but I don't remember signing on whether I had to show it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

XC MTB sportifs never attract the numbers or have much of a suitable venue on which to run one on... usually you'll have to travel abroad to get a decent off-road sportive...

Though try this sportif, looks good!

https://www.facebook.com/ultimateburrenmtb/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

The ultimate burren mtb challenge is very well run and a great location.

The nire valley drop is a bit gracious with the drop part. It's basically several drops with plenty of climbing. None of the drops would be classed as technically difficult and a hard tail would be perfect as you're mostly going up the way.

I signed up for the Cooley thriller short route the long one sound tough and I wouldn't be even close to a xc racer.

Plenty of sportive type cycles if you join a club OP you'll regularly see kmbc/imbc heading up over the wicklow/Dublin mountains.

I didn't have to show my ci licence to anyone e shen signinvnonmlast year or regestering this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Racing795 in Bunclody put on an mtb sportive in 2014 and 2015 and I hear may put it on again next year

It was a great event,and around 35km taking in lots of the mt Leinster and surrounds trails

Has previously been held in July

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭touts

Nire Valley drop is a good one. There is a choice of two routes. Long route for the serious guys. Short route for the less serious ones. Lots of beginners do it and it is very well sign posted and marshalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

You don't need a licensed for the cooley but you do need a savage engine to keep you going the whole way around 6/10 technical 10/10 hard

Ultimate burren challange is excellent. no license 3/10 tecnical 6/10 hard

Nire v drop another excellent event. no license and 5/10 technical 7/10 hard

Racing 795 mt Leinster challenge another tough one. CI Day license reqd 5/10 technical 8/10 hard

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Nire Valley Drop is a superb event, very well organised and great trails

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

There's been a couple of MTB Sportive up in Donegal now that I think about it.

Another one coming up soon I think.

Look up Donegal Mountain Bike Events on Facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

RIDE CoClare on FB organise rides that are 30-45km in Clare/Galway/Mayo.
    No sportif but open invite group rides for CI members.
    They were in the Maum Turks Galway yest..About 35 riders from different clubs
    You bring your own supplies and they regroup at different points.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I did the Cooley thriller a few years back, I wouldn't be great with technical sections, but it was more than manageable, the slower you go though the gloopier and tougher it can be, as faster folk churn it up. Great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭EH

on-line registration open for the Ultimate Burren 2017

https://register.primoevents.com/ps/event/UltimateBurrenMTB2017

More info on FB:
    https://www.facebook.com/ultimateburrenmtb

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

Nire valley Drop is hard work if your not fit but good fun, don't be put off by the speed freaks.

Doing DA COOLEY THRILLER this week end . !!!!

Bebating Burren till after wkend as still recovering from fractured ribs 4 wks ago !!!

So how did the Cooley newbies fare?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

Not a newbie but got on well, took an hour and 5 Min off my time for a 4:24 according to strava, probably 4:18 official. Fitter this time, and a better fuelling of gels helped a lot. Still cramped up on the climb just after the boardwalk which was annoying but cramp seemed widespread. Didn't lose much time with that but played it safe and walked some of the crazy steep stuff after that. Aside from not lying down on the ground dying in the latter stages i was delighted to go faster on all the descents as well.
    What an epic day on the bike, really well organised and great fun.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1129767027

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Ha, I was the opposite - overcooked it on the ascent to the mast, felt ropey for most of the rest of the ride (v. slow - dunno if I have gotten over a monster ride from the other week) but smashed the descents to catch up those that had gotten past me on the climbs.

My tear tyre developed a wobble or belly on the descent from the mast. Unable to finish. Beyond gutted. But sure hey I live close by so I'll be out again. Great event. Great atmosphere abd I'd definitely recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

Good day a hard ride but really enjoyed n worth the trip up from Wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Plastik wrote:

All good. Glad I'd done a wee reconnaissance ride last week though as I'm no great mtb'er.
    Really enjoyed it. Great day out with the weather helping a lot.
    Paced ourselves knowing it was going to be a 4-5 hour day and worked out really well.
    Few of the trickier bits were beyond me but got over as much as most by what I saw.

Advertisement