Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too pushy in following up after an interview?

Options
  • 04-08-2017 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭

I applied for a job on June 4th and heard nothing back for three weeks and forgot all about it. Then I get a call and email from HR and I did an interview on June 29th. The people was lovely and I was told they are rushing to fill the role.

On July 4th I got a call from HR to setup a second interview. This wasn't mentioned in the first interview but no problem, I did this on July 5th. It was only a 20 minute chat with the direct manager who would be in charge of me. It went well and we actually came from close by in Tipperary and discussed hurling :)

This was July 5th. I heard nothing until July 24th when HR called me to say I was on a shortlist, they were impressed n'all and would get a call in the next day or two, I was delighted!
    I heard nothing at all so today August 4th I sent a short email to HR asking for a update and was I still in the process. I got an almost computer generated reply "still considering your application, interviewing other candidates"

I was told start of July they were rushing to fill the role. Was told end of July I was on a shortlist and I'd get a call in a day or two. However start of August and I'm nowhere at all. Was I pushy chasing for an update? I'm not going for CEO here, it's a pretty normal administrator role.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I don't think you were pushy at all but I reckon people are going on holidays and they just haven't had a chance to discuss the various options.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

July and August is a brutal time of year to be interviewing or hiring. Generally the decision is taken by more than one person and when one of the people needed to sign off on a hire aren't available then it goes on hold, I currently have three positions 'on hold' due to holidays which as a recruiter is a pain in the eye.

In saying that the recruiter/ HR department should keep you in the loop and no you weren't any way pushy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I don't think that you were in any way pushy.

Agree completely with the above, i.e. while holiday time is inevitably going to push back decisions, any decent outfit will be able to let you know by when you can expect feedback.

In general I find that a lot of Irish companies can be very unprofessional when it comes to leaving interview candidates hanging. When we interview someone we will always give a date by which we will give a feedback. We need to extend this of course from time to time, but we would always send out a short email saying the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

skallywag wrote: »
    I don't think that you were in any way pushy.

Agree completely with the above, i.e. while holiday time is inevitably going to push back decisions, any decent outfit will be able to let you know by when you can expect feedback.

In general I find that a lot of Irish companies can be very unprofessional when it comes to leaving interview candidates hanging. When we interview someone we will always give a date by which we will give a feedback. We need to extend this of course from time to time, but we would always send out a short email saying the same.

I've found Irish companies to be much better than UK companies. The standard for unsuccessful candidates in the UK is radio silence or tell them the job is on hold.

In the last 6 months I have worked with three UK based companies and this is how it has worked out with unsuccessful candidates. I find Irish companies are generally quick to give feedback be it good, bad or indifferent. It's us recruiters that are the problem! :pac:

Although personally I always give feedback and always press the interviewer for real feedback rather than generic rubbish, it's the least we owe the candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 narwhal

I agree with everyone above that said you're not being pushy. Following up in the same week is pushy if you've been told it will be the following week, but at this waiting period I think that's absolutely reasonable. Summer months make it harder for organisations as people are away.

If you don't get an answer in the next 10 days then by all means I would follow up again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement