Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spotlight Bulbs Burning Out

Options
  • 04-08-2017 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭

I have some spotlights in the bathroom and 1 of them is causing trouble. Please see attached pics. When I insert a new bulb it lasts for a couple of hours but stops working - I think the bulb is getting burned out judging by the look of 1 of the prongs. Also appears to be on the piece where the bulb is plugged into, some crusted/burned look on the rear as pictured.

I know next to nothing about electrical issues so I'm wondering, based off the attached images, is this a job for an electrician or a quick fix? Haven't found any answers from googling!

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Those 12 volt halogen lamps are inefficient and have gone out with the Indians. A poor quality transformer may be the cause. Hard to tell from the photo but I do not think the light fitting is suitable for a bathroom.

If it were my home I would replace the light with a suitable LED type fitting. This may not be that cheap as the regulations relating to bathroom wiring have changed. As I learned recently you will need to get a registered electrical contractor to do pretty much any electrical work in a bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Interesting. Not too worried about the inefficiency as it's not in use all that much but looks poorly when not working all the same. So basically the only option is to go for an electrical contractor to change out the transformer/light fitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The photos aren't large enough to get a good look, but if it's just one prong that's getting burnt like that, and going by your description of the rear of the holder I'd say it's a faulty bulb holder that's causing arcing and overheating. Replace the bulb holder and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Alun wrote: »
    The photos aren't large enough to get a good look, but if it's just one prong that's getting burnt like that, and going by your description of the rear of the holder I'd say it's a faulty bulb holder that's causing arcing and overheating. Replace the bulb holder and see how you get on.

Sorry, here's some larger images - wasn't sure about the cap on file size so went with smaller option originally - hopefully these are a bit clearer.

I'll try locate a bulb holder - any idea on the kind of tooling required to replace?

Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

2011 is on the mark, all the indications of a faulty traffo, I can't see it to well but if the spots are not IP rated correctly steam from a shower can oxidize the copper in the wiring and make the plastic brittle also.

The simple solution might be to replace the transformer and keep the 12v ELV applying with the current regs.

Or the better solution in longterm is the LEDs, this will require mods made to the existing setup can be tricky... unless you live in a cottage/bungalow your laughing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement