Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring an Irish reg car in the UK

Options
  • 04-08-2017 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

So I'm planning on moving to Scotland for a masters in September. As far as I am aware, the UK does not require students to reregister their car on UK plates for the duration of their studies. Has anyone any experience of insuring with UK companies while keeping their cars on Irish plates?

Any companies you'd recommend?

Any info you can provide would be gratefully accepted.

Cheers,
    WP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bronco Bullfrog

Hi,
    I think you may find it difficult to get a UK insurer to insure your car for the length of time needed to complete your course while your car is on Irish plates. A problem I have found with UK insurers is that they will not recognize your no claims bonus from Ireland, meaning you would have to start from scratch with that. If you can find an Irish insurer that would give you extended cover whilst you are on your course may be your best bet. Perhaps the AA could offer some information. (AA.ie).
    There are insurance companies in UK that will insure non-UK registered cars. They will insure on the vehicle identification number (also known as chassis number) as opposed to the registration number. However, I think this cover may be for a limited time. I think it is meant for cover on a car whilst completing import formalities. You could check with them. I don't have any experience with them. You maybe could insure with one company for a period and when that expires try another one. I am a new poster here so I cannot post links or URL's but if you google chassis number insurance for the following insurance companies:-

acorninsure.co.uk

adrianflux.co.uk/chassis-number

This issue has been raised on boards before Here is also a student with your problem on askaboutmoney.com / insurance in england on irish car.

PM me if you have trouble finding the links,

best of luck with it, let know how you get on?
    cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

If you have Irish registered car, and you are Irish resident, you'll need to have car insured by Irish insurer.

Bad thing is that most if not all insurers will limit your cover to basic third party only after 30 to 90 days abroad.
    Good thing is that as you are going to keep being resident in Ireland, so they can't refuse to cover you, even if you are going to be abroad for your college for long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I reckon you'll be better off buying a cheap car over there as (from other posts) your current car is over 10 years old and that will present an issue.

You'll pick something half decent up for a few hundred.

Usually no problem with no claims bonus between uk and Ireland - certainly not with aig or aviva.

Then you can possibly import your uk car here with no vrt if your course is over 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Then you can possibly import your uk car here with no vrt if your course is over 12 months.

OP won't be able to do it.
    To import car with VRT exemtpion he/she would need to be resident in UK.
    As a student, they won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bronco Bullfrog

Yeah you won't qualify for exemption from VRT if you go abroad to pursue a course of studies. Details are on revenue.ie website under transfer of residence. You have to prove residence abroad and prove transfer of residence back to Ireland. Don't tell em' your studying?
    But regarding your no claims bonus some UK insurers will not recognize Irish no claims, e.g. Liverpool Victoria (LV). Which is strange because most, if not all Irish insurers will recognize no claims bonus earned on UK insurance policies (but I guess that's a whole new thread)

• Advertisement
Advertisement