Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB pole removal

Options
  • 04-08-2017 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,
    I have an ESB pole in my garden. This pole is not supplying electricity to my house.
    It is currently in front of a wall that is collapsing.
    I need to get the pole moved or removed to replace the wall.
    ESB are stating that as there is nothing wrong with the pole, and therefore I would need to pay to have it moved.
    I informed them that this is a safety issue as the wall could collapse and not only hurt someone in the garden, but could cause the pole to come down on my house and my neighbours.
    I do not think I should have to pay to have this pole moved, as it is a safety issues.
    Do I have any rights here?

Any advise much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Any wires on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Odelay

The safety issue is your wall, not the pole.

Why does the pole need to be moved, why not build the wall beside it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Odelay wrote:
    Why does the pole need to be moved, why not build the wall beside it?

I've even seen walls built around the pole. Three sides so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Your wall falling down, in no way would affect the integrity of the pole. So basically you want the pole moved and are citing safety reasons for justifying ESB moving the pole for you. Bottom line is if you want the pole moved your going to have to pay for an "alteration to service fee" which if memory serves me it's around €600

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CareyN

bunderoon wrote: »
    Any wires on it?

Yea but none of them are for my house

• Advertisement

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Your wall falling down, in no way would affect the integrity of the pole. So basically you want the pole moved and are citing safety reasons for justifying ESB moving the pole for you. Bottom line is if you want the pole moved your going to have to pay for an "alteration to service fee" which if memory serves me it's around €600

The wall is collapsing onto to pole! The pole is right up against the wall so I can't fix the wall without moving the pole. If the wall comes down on the pole the esb will have bigger problems than moving it now.

How high is the wall that it's going to knock the pole ? I have seen eejits crash cars in to pole and they haven't budged

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I've even seen walls built around the pole. Three sides so to speak.
    I need to replace the wall that is falling down and i can't do that until I move the pole as it's right up against the wall.
    If I build a wall in front of the pole it won't stop the wall behind it collapsing

Luckysasha wrote: »
    How high is the wall that it's going to knock the pole ? I have seen eejits crash cars in to pole and they haven't budged
    The wall is 8 feet high. It might not bring the pole down, or it might, and I don't want to take the risk. My bigger concern is the wall collapsing on my kids in the garden, hence why I want to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

CareyN wrote: »
    Yea but none of them are for my house

What does that have to do with the wall if it feeds your house or not?

You house is supplied by poles on someone else's land. Its not possible to have an electricity network without it.

If the pole was falling on the wall, I'm sure networks would move the pole, and possible repair your wall. Its the other way round, so its up to you to fix the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 OssifiedEd

When your repairing the wall what is stopping you from just working around the pole. The lack of details is making it seem like your over exaggerating.

Sounds like you just want the pole moved. I hear this all the time. It's the "not in my garden" mentality but unfortunately the pole has to go somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Can you post a picture of the wall? If it is in danger of collapsing towards the pole why can't it be taken down block by block without disturbing the pole? Then rebuild it in the same location with proper foundations.

OssifiedEd wrote: »
    When your repairing the wall what is stopping you from just working around the pole. The lack of details is making it seem like your over exaggerating.

The pole is inches away from the wall so I can't access the wall safely.
    I don't care about the pole being in my garden, it's a big garden and not obstructing my use of the garden, so I really don't care, and I'm happy for them to put it back once the wall is fixed.
    The problem is that I can't fix the wall unless the pole is moved!
    Esb can either put the pole back when the wall is fixed or put it somewhere else in my garden.
    I'm not looking for esb to fix the wall or pay for anything, I just want them to move the pole so I can safely replace the wall, and I don't think I should have to pay for it.

Based on all of the responses I've received, I'm guessing no one here has had any similar dealings with esb.

Thanks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

CareyN wrote: »
    The pole is inches away from the wall so I can't access the wall safely.
    I don't care about the pole being in my garden, it's a big garden and not obstructing my use of the garden, so I really don't care, and I'm happy for them to put it back once the wall is fixed.
    The problem is that I can't fix the wall unless the pole is moved!
    Esb can either put the pole back when the wall is fixed or put it somewhere else in my garden.
    I'm not looking for esb to fix the wall or pay for anything, I just want them to move the pole so I can safely replace the wall, and I don't think I should have to pay for it.

Based on all of the responses I've received, I'm guessing no one here has had any similar dealings with esb.

Thanks anyway.

i had to make entrance wider and eircom pole was making it awkward so put down foundation next to pole so part of the wall is inches away from pole,thats 10years ago ,perfect, couldnt be bothered having with deal with eircom

I don't think it's a as big a problem as you do. And good bricky layer will be able to build right up the the pole.
    Pulling the old wall down is just a bit more demo work

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

The Esb are only worried about their pole, and if it is in good condition, and not responsible for your falling wall then they are not going to send a crew and a digger out for the day to move it while you build your wall. The expense of the crew and digger along with the outage costs associated with the line being disconnected for the day.
    They are not gonna do it and if they do, expect to pay heavily

Thanks for all the replies.
    ESB came out and determined it was in their best interest to replace the pole and also change its location in my garden to allow me to replace the wall.
    No charge.

CareyN wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies. ESB came out and determined it was in their best interest to replace the pole and also change its location in my garden to allow me to replace the wall. No charge.

Happy days. Delighted it worked out well for you

Advertisement